Grim Reapers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
    What did you not like about them? They look similar to the Hypo tips from the pictures I’ve seen, was it overall design or something that didn’t seem to work right?
    To be fair, I only tried them on 3 deer. One broke on a doe. The other two were bucks. Both left tiny holes, and the tips bent pretty bad. I was not pleased with the small holes. But like I said, I am VERY pleased with the 1 3/8" Razortips. Don't confuse them with the Razorcuts.

Comment

Decided to try some Grim Reapers a couple years ago. I really liked them but was having problems with penetration, especially on hogs. I'm only pulling 54 lbs(bad shoulders) so I suspect that has a lot to do with it. If I could build back up to 60+ lbs. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        I've only bent one since 2010 and that was on a bad shot to the spine. I hit him square in the back bone and he carried it until I shot him 30 days later....so.. no idea if it bent on the shot or when he finally broke my arrow off he carried away ....

[ATTACH]913346[/ATTACH]
        On a guess, that looks more like a bent neck from an impact with a bush or something, but there’s no main body bend that I can see so that is a good sign.

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
        To be fair, I only tried them on 3 deer. One broke on a doe. The other two were bucks. Both left tiny holes, and the tips bent pretty bad. I was not pleased with the small holes. But like I said, I am VERY pleased with the 1 3/8" Razortips. Don't confuse them with the Razorcuts.
        I see the difference in the two, well 3 deer is a better test group than just one animal that could’ve been a solid bone hit and a fluke failure.

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
        Decided to try some Grim Reapers a couple years ago. I really liked them but was having problems with penetration, especially on hogs. I'm only pulling 54 lbs(bad shoulders) so I suspect that has a lot to do with it. If I could build back up to 60+ lbs. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.
        Now don’t be throwing a **** in my punch bowl if I’m looking to drop poundage on my setup . We’re you using the smaller cut or the larger cut heads?

Comment

So if I’m seeing this right, they have a “spring cup” sorta mechanism that assists the opening of the blades once it passes the fulcrum point of the blade rotation? Spring tension holds them closed and once there’s an impact to pish the blades slightly open, the spring actually pushes them open and hold them open?

Comment

I’ve had 0 problems with 1-3/8 razortip. They zip right through and break bone.

Comment

2" whitetails. Typically one and done but they work amazing for that one. I'll be honest. I shoot 1, maybe 2 deer a year. I don't spend all that money on corn, lease, and equipment to worry about whether or not i get to re-use a bh after shooting a deer. I do however keep cheap bhs in my quiver for hogs / varmints but that doesn't always work as planned.

Comment

So if I’m seeing this right, they have a “spring cup” sorta mechanism that assists the opening of the blades once it passes the fulcrum point of the blade rotation? Spring tension holds them closed and once there’s an impact to pish the blades slightly open, the spring actually pushes them open and hold them open?

The spring and cup design assists with keeping the blades closed so there is no O-ring. The blades open with normal entry peeling back as they pass through. At least the razortips do. I am waiting on the Carni-Fours as we speak.

Comment

On a guess, that looks more like a bent neck from an impact with a bush or something, but there’s no main body bend that I can see so that is a good sign.
                  Highly possible, but with the way my arrow was flying that day there is no telling. I've shot a good amount of deer with the Grim Reapers razortips since 2010 so I am surely not letting the one instance deter me. 2" lower and it would have been a complete passthrough and the usual short track. No idea why I am going the Carni-Four route now. Maybe just to try something a little different.....

Comment

I wanted to love the GRs, but I shoot Ramcats now. I was shooting the WTS heads on a buck. Hit him about an inch into the shoulder at 25yds but should have been a double lung. Instead I got about 4 inches of penetration and never found him (Not 100% sure it opened). I did like the 1 3/8" heads though. I just switched to Ramcats because I I like the idea of an accurate fixed blade.

Comment

Now don’t be throwing a **** in my punch bowl if I’m looking to drop poundage on my setup . We’re you using the smaller cut or the larger cut heads?
                      Can't remember for sure but I think they opened up to 1 1/2" cutting diameter. Certainly not the 2" that some are talking about. There are so many variables though. If you hit the critter in the shoulder you might not get much penetration from any broadhead, much less an expandable. Hogs have such tough hides (and mud too sometimes) that your head needs to be really sharp unless you hit them in the sweet spot immediately behind the shoulder.

Comment

All I use are Grim Reapers. I've shot tons of animals with them and never had an issue with blood trails or broadheads. I shoot both Fatal Steels and Razor/Pro tips and always have good penetration. Razor Cuts are good too. I would stay away from the carni 4s and whitetail specials just because I've had to many broken blades on those 2 heads

Comment

Fatal Steel 100s 1-1/4” or Pro Series 100s 3 blade 1-3/8”?

What’s yalls experience with either ones?

Gonna make some setup changes this year...

i do love that 1 3/8" head

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            I've only bent one since 2010 and that was on a bad shot to the spine. I hit him square in the back bone and he carried it until I shot him 30 days later....so.. no idea if it bent on the shot or when he finally broke my arrow off he carried away ....

[ATTACH]913346[/ATTACH]

this looks like an early version that they have quit building and sell them out as hog heads now,, they were a little tough to open, the newer version all open pretty easy..

Comment

Grim Reapers?

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                              this looks like an early version that they have quit building and sell them out as hog heads now,, they were a little tough to open, the newer version all open pretty easy..

I remember those and it’s not...

Like I said, I backstrap this deer and drove it directly into the support rib bone coming off the spine and up into the vertebrae itself. Ii not make it to the spine. I pulled it out of the hole it made 30 days later when I got another shot. It was lodged.

It’s my fault... not Grim
                              Reapers. I made a horrible shot and it probably bent with him either laying on it or hitting several trees and brush. We never found the other part of the arrow and he showed up a few weeks later minus it.
                              Last edited by Smart; 06-27-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Those of yall breaking/bending blades on the whitetail specials: what animal and what shot placement??

I've shot multiple deer and pigs and never broken one. I've reused one on multiple pigs and still never broken one. And I'm pulling 70# with a 30" DL.

Comment

Working...
                                X