ILBE pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ILBE pack?

Has anyone ever used and IBLE pack for hunting out west? Have used both an ALICE pack and an Eberlestcok pack over the past three years chasin elk and was happier with the alice pack, but looking for something a little more comfortable that can still handle the weight.

The only problem with them is that they are heavy and the belts suck. They are good packs though, the USMC ILBE Gen 2's are made by Arc'teryx. Alot of people (well, a few people lol) take a knife to them and hack off all the extra straps you don't need to get the weight down then add an HPG Prairie belt for added comfort. Then poof, you have a solid meat hauler for well under $200, better than any other low tier pack by far (Eberlestock, Tenzing, etc.) Here's a couple older links but I'm sure there's more if you hunt around:

First, I updated my ILBE with the HPG Prairie belt. It took all of 3 minutes to replace the issued ILBE belt with the new one. Well I just completed my third ruck march with the new belt, today was just short of 6 miles and had right at 45 lbs in the ruck and it felt like a whole new ruck. The belt is the first one I have used that I can place below the iliac crest and cinch down to a point that it doesn’t slip and is extremely comfortable. It has made all the difference. Ive yet to exceed 70lbs in the pack with the new hip belt and ill update when I do, but for now I have high hopes for this set up. Second, I have contemplated many ways to carry an additional day pack with my main pack for shorter excursions after base camp is set up. The draw back is the added weight of an additional pack. When I first started out I was carrying a butt pack strapped to the outside of my backpack that I would use for just this purpose. Over time I have tried out haversacks, draw string packs, day packs etc.  Well now thanks to the HPG Prairie Belt, I can attach the ILBE lid to the belt and make it into an extremely comfortable unit for day hikes. I call it the Prairie Pack (pat pend)  I never thought I would be comfortable taking off the main belt on my ruck in the field to use as an accessory on another item but with the ease of taking off the pack belt from the ILBE I have no concerns doing it. For a size comparison of the ILBE lid, I put my complete full size HPG kit bag in it for weight. The belt fits snug and there is very little wobble or movement when walking (ran up and down the stair a couple of times for a quick test. Will add a field test with a few miles later on. The whole process of moving the belt from the pack and attaching the lid took less than 5 mins.

Comment

Thanks, that HPG belt looks like it would really help

Comment

I put a lot of miles under those **** packs (woodlands marpat one) up and down all over Camp Pendleton. Me personally I'd look elsewhere. This is heavy and not the most comfortable. And yes the belt sucks. I was issued the newer coyote one the week before I EAS'd so I have no experience with that one.

Comment

I would go to REI and try on packs with 30 lbs in them.
          There are way more options than anything built for the military.

Comment

Thought this was an Arnold Swarzenegger thread for a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              I would go to REI and try on packs with 30 lbs in them.
              There are way more options than anything built for the military.
              Haha this...
              We had civilian packs we would use. Army issue stuff usually is decently tough. But heavy. There are better options

Comment

I used it last yr for CO archery hauling 60 lbs of gear. Our first time and will pack lighter next time by far. I added some straps w k clips from kifaru to strap my bow on. Had my bugle on one side and tripod on the other.

Got a generic rain cover for it.

It worked well. I have no experience w any other pack in that scenario, but one of the things I hated about it, even with the full side zippers, I had to pull all my crap out almost every time I needed to get to something that wasnt on the top.

I haven't decided if I'll use it again or spring for a kifaru next yr

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X