Best steak cut. You're probably wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best steak cut. You're probably wrong

Okay, just went to my favorite steak restaurant and ordered my favorite steak cut and temp to have it cooked to. Delicious as usual. EXCEPT, my wife decided to try something new and it totally blew my mind! But, before I get to the point, here's a little history about my steak upbringing. As far as I can remember, my father would always grill every Sunday. It was seven cut steak from the butcher with their own seasoning over charcoal. Well done. Meat always had to be well done. Otherwise we would get worms, according to mom. This was an El Paso tradition since I was a little kid. Then one day for prom we all went to Cattlemans. A well known steak place in El Paso. To my surprise there was no seven steak on the menu. All other kinds of cuts except for seven. What the heck?! The waiter recommended something called a ribeye so I went ahead and ordere that. Well done, of course. Well holy hellz if that wasn't the biggest cut I've ever seen. "This", I said to myself, "is what rich people eat". lol. Anyway, a few years after that I moved to San Antonio (thank god) and me and my girlfriend decided to go to a steak restaurant (we were poor and just started working decent jobs). We went to a restaurant named Texas Road House. Man! We were living it up! I saw that they had ribeye on the menu and I decided to plunge since we could now afford a little more in our budget. Well done, of course. My girlfriend at the time ordered the same cut except she ordered it medium. "Are you crazy?! You wanna get worms?!" The waiter explained that all steaks were cooked to at least around 135-140 making the steak completely safe. Well, I didn't take any chances. When out food came out, her steak was the most juices steak I had ever seen. But, nonthenless, I ate mine. At the end, she offered me a bite and promised that I would not get worms. "Fine", I said, and I took a bite. Oh my god!! It was heaven!! What the heck have I've been doing to steak my whole life? I've literally burned off all the flavor out of my steaks!! From then on, medium ribeye it was for me. I've been having the same cut and temp now for over 15 years. About two years ago I tried the prime rib and it was also amazing. I'll order that every once in a while. So, here in SA, I've been to many a steak restaurants, but my altimeter favorite is Saltgrass. They just make a dang fine steak. So, tonight the wife and I went to our local steak house and I ordered the same as usual. Pats ribeye, medium, with a side of brussel sprouts. My wife usually also orders the same except this tonight. This time she ordered the filet. "Why?" I asked. "Because she wanted to try something new". Fair enough. She ordered it medium as well. Our plates got to our table and I egain to devour my steak. I asked my wife how her strak was and she said it was better than the ribeye. I almost threaded her with a divorce! But, I had to try it. And be known to me, it was amazing! It was just as good as a ribeye but just a bit more flavor. I think it was more meat flavorful because it was a lean cut. But I enjoy the marbling on a rib eye. What do you prefer and why?

My wife prefers a filet and I prefer a ribeye. Usually the filet is tender and leaner. Ribeye usually is fatter and more flavorful. I like my steak rare to medium rare. Texas Roadhouse is one of my favorites for a everyday cheaper end steak place. A few good ones in Houston but my favorite is Taste of Texas

Comment

I now rarely go to a steak restaurant but go to HEB and buy ribeyes to cook at the house

Comment

Bone-in Ribeye.....Kosher Salt/coarse black pepper or Barnacle Dust .......medium-rare over mesquite coals.

Filet is for women with a small appetite..

Comment

Filet mignon cooked medium is the best.

Saltgrass ain't bad, but wait till you go to a true steakhouse! Yum!!

Comment

Sirloin at a steakhouse or ribeye if I’m cooking. No one can ever cook a decent ribeye at a restaurant for my liking.

However, I went to Vic ad Anthony’s last year with my fiancé for Valentine’s Day and had their 40 ounce steak that’s akaushi beef and holy hell. The best steak I’ve ever had, hands down, by leaps and bounds. If you like marbling on the ribeye, this will blow you away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Growing up we ate 7 steaks also. Butchered our own. Best steak out there. Picked up a package at HEB Brenham a couple weeks ago. Kids loved it.

Comment

While I do enjoy a filet, it’s always a me rare ribeye for me. I need the fat and juices which accompany the ribeye cut. Most places, the filet also lacks in size. I’d have to order two in most cases. In fact, we had a date night tonight and I knocked out a 16oz ribeye and finished off several bites of my wife’s filet. Got my red meat fix tonight!

Comment

Have not found a better steak than one I can cook at home. I like ribeyes and filets equally depending on what I am in the mood for. If you are going to cut the fat off a ribeye you are giving up the flavor. Filets are tender and juicy as well.

What I will say is be it a sirloin, ribeye, or filet if it is cooked past medium rare it is over cooked

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                    Sirloin at a steakhouse or ribeye if I’m cooking. No one can ever cook a decent ribeye at a restaurant for my liking.

However, I went to Vic ad Anthony’s last year with my fiancé for Valentine’s Day and had their 40 ounce steak that’s akaushi beef and holy hell. The best steak I’ve ever had, hands down, by leaps and bounds. If you like marbling on the ribeye, this will blow you away.

Give Del Friscos in the Galleria a shot.... best I've had and I've been to most.

Comment

My grandfather that I never knew told me mother that there’s only one cut of steak worth eating. Ribeye.

Comment

If I’m not very hungry I’ll certainly wnjoy a prime filet rare. Uaully is a NY strip though. I’ve always wanted to order the tomahawk chop but haven’t found the cojones to do that...

Comment

Ya burnt shoulder steak ees no bueno por caca.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                            If I’m not very hungry I’ll certainly wnjoy a prime filet rare. Uaully is a NY strip though. I’ve always wanted to order the tomahawk chop but haven’t found the cojones to do that...

The one at Vic and Anthony’s is phenomenal!

Comment

I get up in a house that ask cooked steaks well done. My mother still likes hers cooked that way. My favorite is the ribeye cooked rare. Filets are good as well, cooked rare.

When I grill steaks at home, my kids get theirs medium rare.

When my son was seven years old he hit his first homerun over the fence. We were excited and want to saltgrass to celebrate. now he is 11 and expects to go to saltgrass every time he gets a homerun. This season he has hit for so far. He is going to break me. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X