No announcement yet.

Gun safe opinions? Brands and models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of y'all ever heard of Old Glory. Can't figure out if they are a manufacturer or just a distributor

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
      I understand but that's where it has to go for my house. I'd prefer it inside but not gonna happen because my wife won't let me.
      Fify

We've all had that same fight. High time we stand together and bring our guns inside out of the cold.

Hoggslayer

Comment

I would second lighting. Mine doesn’t have lights and I wish it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
          Fify

We've all had that same fight. High time we stand together and bring our guns inside out of the cold.

Hoggslayer
          Haha how true that statement is.

Comment

You will get as many opinions on a safe as if you asked what is your favorite caliber?

My advice...DON'T PUT IT IN THE GARAGE!!

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
              You will get as many opinions on a safe as if you asked what is your favorite caliber?

My advice...DON'T PUT IT IN THE GARAGE!!
              Any specific reasons why?

Comment

Because it's easier to steal

Comment

Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
                  Any specific reasons why?
                  Main reason for me... MOISTURE. My safe would have to be 1/2 full of dehumidifier bars to keep my guns dry, if I had it in the garage. Inside a house has far less humidity and temperature swings. No way I want to spend 2-3k on a safe, stick 10-20k worth of guns and valuables in it and find all my stuff rusted shut because of this darn Texas humidity / crazy weather swings.

Also easier access for thieves if you leave it in the garage. A lot easier...

Comment

I'd agree with the moisture part. I'm in Colorado so I got much less here than back at home in Tomball.

I'm putting a "Do Not Steal" sign on mine so I think that'll deter most people. Maybe I'll put a "Caution Booby Trapped" sign on there

Comment

Im in the market. Currently leaning toward superior/champion. My thoughts are to get something to keep a "smash and grab" thief out and keep locked up from my young children. But, I realize that a fire or serious burglar would likely be a 100% loss, so for me, the main protection will be carrying enough insurance.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Every big purchase I make tends to turn into a research project. Selecting a gun safe was no exception and here are a few things I learned after researching about 10 or so manufacturers:

1. Cheap safes are manufactured in China with crap Chinese steel (many of the big name US brands have several of their cheap safes manufactured in China)
                        2. Cheap and gun safe should not go in the same sentence as you are basically telling someone where all of your valuable items are
                        3. The door and walls are definitely not solid
                        4. Buy American made with American steel
                        5. Most importantly, call the manufacturer and ask them right questions

I narrowed my selection to Strudy Safes and the Amsec BF series safes. Each have their own unique features but the Amsec win because the depth allowed me to fit the safe in a closet.

Lastly, if you can find what you are looking for, used gun safes are considerable less expensive than new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett A View Post
                          You can get a nice Winchester (52 gun) safe in that price point.
                          anybody have experience with these Winchesters? Wife liked the fatboy jr at cabelas. haven't been by, but was looking for cannon safe online and they have what appears to be a nice one at tractor supply and then found a guy that sells all types of Winchesters for pretty reasonable prices. They look nice but the guy lives in Garland and I hate going through Dallas, so im not sure I want to drive unless it is a good deal

Comment

I picked up a Cannon 64 Gun Safe this year and so far so good. It is my first one and like others stated, pay for the delivery. Moving a 580 lbs safe is NO Easy Task...
                            My only issue with it is the shelving they have inside. It is not too high of quality, so that is something I will be altering and replacing. Other than that, I like it. Price was good as well...

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                              anybody have experience with these Winchesters? Wife liked the fatboy jr at cabelas. haven't been by, but was looking for cannon safe online and they have what appears to be a nice one at tractor supply and then found a guy that sells all types of Winchesters for pretty reasonable prices. They look nice but the guy lives in Garland and I hate going through Dallas, so im not sure I want to drive unless it is a good deal
                              I have had one for about three years now. I compared the features with the liberty and it was as good or better in most ratings. (fire, number of bolts, size of bolts...)
                              I think I got mine through the same guy. Ordered it by phone. (I had seen one at a gun show, so I knew what I was getting)
                              Brett A

Comment

Think I found a deal. This guy on FB is selling his liberty Lincoln 50 for pretty cheap. Was just talking to my wife this morning about buying a 35 or 50 gun. Her reply was don't get the 35 you know you're gonna keep buying guns. Well couldn't argue with that. Liberty says the warranty transfers over to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X