Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300WM Rec?

3 questions for the brain trust.

If a guy where to build a 300 WinMag for elk and or Nilgai what grain bullet would you build around? What twist? And what barrel length? Rifle will be suppressed if that matters in your recommendations.

Thank you, Led

210 gr bullet as they have the best bc of the 30 cal bullets. 1:10 or 1:11 twist 24" barrel

Comment

If I was building the rifle specifically for elk and nilgai, I would choose either the 180 gr Barnes TTSX or the 200 grain Nosler Partition. I personally would run a 26" tube, but if you are going to shoot suppressed, I'd probably consider 24".

Comment

200 grain Accubond. The ballistic coefficient is .588, and the Win Mag has enough powder capacity to get it to 2900+ fps. Alternatively, I'd use a Barnes 150 TTSX at 3300+ fps.

LWD

Comment

1st 200g Partition

2nd 200g Accubond

Comment

212gr ELD-X

Comment

Build it to shoot the heavies! I recently did the same thing and below are the relevant aspects of my build:

300 win chambered with Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) reamer
              Bartlein Barrel with 1:10 twist 5R 25.5" +micro vias
              Wyatts MBE-2 box, 3.825" ID measurement ---- extremely important to have a box mag that is long enough to shoot the heavies
              Defiance action "opened up" to accommodate the extended box

The NSWC reamer was designed for the military when they swapped over from the 190smk to the 220smk. This chambering should work well for bullets in the 200 - 230 grain range.

I am currently shooting the 225 eld m (no results on game).
              Last edited by aggieman08; 02-03-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

And as others have suggested, get a fast twist. At least 1:11" though I'd go 1:10" to insure you can shoot anything you want.

LWD

Comment

Working...
                X