280 vs 280AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

280 vs 280AI

With the growing popularity of the 280AI do you expect a variety of factory ammo to be available in the future?

I’m an obvious 280AI fan but it’s time to build my youngest son’s graduation present and he is not the meticulous reloader type like his brother. He loads out of necessity now but doesn’t show the interest to carry it on later in life I don’t think.

So I must decide between 280 and 280AI

Can’t you shoot 280 Rem in a 280AI but not vice versa? Might as well go AI if so and leave the option open.

Comment

This is my opinion and worth exactly what you'll pay for it, but if I were gonna go 280AI, and not be a real fan of reloading, I'd just go with a 7mm mag.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the .280 Rem and don't see the need for the Ackley version ( or the 7mm mag for that matter ).

Comment

A quick search on Midway showed 0 match grade ammo options. Why not get him something with more match grade loaded ammo options?

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
          A quick search on Midway showed 0 match grade ammo options. Why not get him something with more match grade loaded ammo options?

Nosler loads a couple very good options that are usually pretty accurate but that the only options I know of.

Comment

go with .270 similar ballistics wise and easy to find

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              Nosler loads a couple very good options that are usually pretty accurate but that the only options I know of.
              10-4, my dad has a 280 and I'll pass the info to him.

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
                go with .270 similar ballistics wise and easy to find

I have both and feel 280 is more versatile due to availability of a wider range of bullet weights

Comment

I love my 280.

Comment

I love my 280 AI

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
                      I love my 280 AI

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
                      me too

Question is are there enough of us to cause more manufacture produce factory ammo?

Comment

Hornady is coming out with 280 AI ammo in 2018

Comment

I would go 280ai obviously...set him up with 100 rounds. Reload in batches of 50 which will be easy to track the # of times the case is used & plenty of time to work the reloading in.

Such an easy case to load for once the dies are set up & with minimal case stretch you can occasionally skip the trim stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            I would go 280ai obviously...set him up with 100 rounds. Reload in batches of 50 which will be easy to track the # of times the case is used & plenty of time to work the reloading in.

Such an easy case to load for once the dies are set up & with minimal case stretch you can occasionally skip the trim stage.

I think this convinced me to do what I really wanted to anyway

Comment

Are you building the rifle to what makes you happy or what would make it more enjoyable for him?

Comment

Working...
                              X