4x lens - Low light - Blurry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4x lens - Low light - Blurry

I'm shooting a HHA single pin. I bought the 4x magnifier for it last December but didn't want to change anything during hunting season. Anyway, I just got around to installing it last weekend. After installing it I went out and shot at 20 yds around 3:00 in the afternoon. It was a little fuzzy but the target was magnified and I shot decent groups for not having shot in a while.

Here is where the potential issue comes in. I didn't get a chance to shoot again until last night right before dark (after 7:30). It was super blurry, like barely see the target blurry and there was some yellow reflection from my pin and sight housing (the extra firberoptic to brighten the pin) on the lens. I tried it both ways (bright pin and not bright pin for those of you w/ HHA) but there wasn't really a difference. I need new batteries for my sight light so I wasn't able to use that. The only other detail I can think of is the sun was setting behind me but it was behind clouds so I don't think that had any affect.

So my question is, is this a low light issue and it isn't as clear in low light with the magnifier? If so, any way to solve this? If this is the issue, will this be worse in a dark ground blind? Other possibilities are that my eyes were having a bad night focusing (40 year old + eyes can do that lol) or the lens isn't on there correctly (I did exactly what the youtube videos said and it was A LOT better last week). I plan to shoot this afternoon with good light and see what happens but I'm welcome to any suggestions or things I could be doing wrong. Maybe/hopefully someone has had this issue and can help.

I really liked the magnification last weekend and can see it making a huge difference in my shooting. But, I can't have what happened last night happen in a hunting situation so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
    I'm shooting a HHA single pin. I bought the 4x magnifier for it last December but didn't want to change anything during hunting season. Anyway, I just got around to installing it last weekend. After installing it I went out and shot at 20 yds around 3:00 in the afternoon. It was a little fuzzy but the target was magnified and I shot decent groups for not having shot in a while.

Here is where the potential issue comes in. I didn't get a chance to shoot again until last night right before dark (after 7:30). It was super blurry, like barely see the target blurry and there was some yellow reflection from my pin and sight housing (the extra firberoptic to brighten the pin) on the lens. I tried it both ways (bright pin and not bright pin for those of you w/ HHA) but there wasn't really a difference. I need new batteries for my sight light so I wasn't able to use that. The only other detail I can think of is the sun was setting behind me but it was behind clouds so I don't think that had any affect.

So my question is, is this a low light issue and it isn't as clear in low light with the magnifier? If so, any way to solve this? If this is the issue, will this be worse in a dark ground blind? Other possibilities are that my eyes were having a bad night focusing (40 year old + eyes can do that lol) or the lens isn't on there correctly (I did exactly what the youtube videos said and it was A LOT better last week). I plan to shoot this afternoon with good light and see what happens but I'm welcome to any suggestions or things I could be doing wrong. Maybe/hopefully someone has had this issue and can help.

I really liked the magnification last weekend and can see it making a huge difference in my shooting. But, I can't have what happened last night happen in a hunting situation so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I can’t shoot a sight magnifying lens without a clarifier lens in my peep some people can. For me, the advantages of a magnifying lens are far outweighed by the problems that arise, especially when it rains.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Rain isn't an issue as I hunt from ground blinds 90% of the time and 100% of the time when it is raining. I am going to shoot this afternoon in good light and if it still doesn't work I may have to look into the clarifier.

Comment

I can shoot a 2x without a clarifier, but a 4x and 6x is very grainy and my lenses are Zeiss

Comment

Working...
        X