Seed oats and when to plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed oats and when to plant?

I am hunting north of Bryson in east young county and am wanting to plant a small (1-2 acre) food plot. This will be my first attempt at it. I have a small disc plow that I can pull behind my four wheeler. My question is, when do I need to plant? Can anyone give me advice that they have learned in the past so I can advoid learning the "hard way"?

Thanks in advance for yalls help!

We usually don't plant oats but in central TX where our ranch is we usually plant the 2nd or 3rd week in Sept. Overseeding with Rye always helps too. Deer love it here. Good luck and pray for rain!

Comment

Thanks, anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by huntnguide83 View Post
        We usually don't plant oats but in central TX where our ranch is we usually plant the 2nd or 3rd week in Sept. Overseeding with Rye always helps too. Deer love it here. Good luck and pray for rain!
        This^ Sept 15th is suppose to be the magic day....However you might want to check you forcast and plant before a rain!!

Comment

Early Spetember...like now.

Comment

Just picked up a ton today and it will be in the ground by Sunday.

Comment

I plant in Graham (a few miles from you). Last year I planted 25 acres of oats and wheat (50lbs of each per acre). I planted 9/15. Had a good rain the following week and green/lush field soon after. Then came the army worms. They took out all the foodplots in 3 days...down to the dirt.

My rec for Young County, plant the first week of October.

Comment

mid to late september should be fine.... soil moisture for proper germination is the make or break part of the equation

Comment

Thanks for the advise, I plan on plowing this weekend and planting in the last weekend of sept (25th)...

Comment

Originally posted by JSCOTT View Post
                    Thanks for the advise, I plan on plowing this weekend and planting in the last weekend of sept (25th)...

I was out there on Wednesday. Got a pretty good rain. Plowing should be perfect. Good luck with the plot this season.

Comment

Working...
                    X