Hill Country Turkey Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill Country Turkey Tips?

Been hunting my whole life but turkey is new to me. Last two weekends I have killed one in Wilson County. Those were pretty easy, and also lucky I'm sure.. Birds were going off, just threw out a decoy and called them in.

This weekend I am in Kimble County between Junction & London. This seems like it will be different. I know there are at least some turkeys on this ground. It's rocky and mostly scrub brush. Not a ton of tree I would expect to be a roost.

I would love to hear your tips for Hill Country Rios! Does this cold front effect them? Do they lock up with hens like deer? Am I late l or are they still gobbling?

Btw, first ever turkey from Wilson County was a 11" main beard and a 5" double beard. Second was a 10". Both had Spurs a just over an 1". So I'm pretty hooked

Comment

Get out there when the clouds break. If there’s reliable water on the place or nearby, you’ll have birds. I actually prefer scrub country to more open woods. You can get close to the birds before setting up and they have to come looking for you to figure out where the “hen” is at.

Comment

OP, are you hearing gobblers?

Oh and as mentioned above, water is key in the hill country.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
          OP, are you hearing gobblers?

Oh and as mentioned above, water is key in the hill country.
          Just a few on camera on that property. We heard a bunch last year but sounds like they haven't heard many this year. I haven't been there to say one way or another

Comment

Quit while you are ahead this year. [emoji3]

Rio’s in the hill county can be fun to hunt. It really helps to have a idea of the daily routine. Try to stay on front of them. Rios tend to get ‘henned up’ right off roost. They may gobble a bunch, but won’t leave the girls. Eventually, they will break away and often are easier to call later in the morning and afternoon.

*It’s been a tough spring for me - I can’t them to respond to anything. Frustrating for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunted 5 days in the YO ranchlands, wouldn’t come closer than about 80 yards. I figure most landowners are taking this time of social distancing and hunting at the ranch.

Comment

Working...
              X