No announcement yet.

Deer Management question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This buck on 100 acres. Feed year round, feed protein, make sure there is a solid water source.. you'll hold some deer.

By and large people are on board with letting bucks get older now days. So just practice QDM and you'll get some big ones.

If you have a large deer population it stops being a big deal if your neighbors take a couple young bucks every year.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes it's possible but not year after yr.

Comment

Get with your neighbors, share pics and see if you can't all get on the same page.

If you shoot bucks every year before they reach their potential because you're worried that if you don't the neighbor will then you are "that neighbor".

Comment

it's ALL up to your neighbors. I own 150 acres, the neighbors shoot everything that walks. a big deer is 70", really. they must know what they are doing, b/c everytime they show you or tell you what they shot, it goes like this..." I chot it juz for meat" my wife is the only one to shoot a deer off the place since I've owned it, it was a 2 1/2 5pt, no brows at all

my brother owns several parcels up to 220 acres. there is not a high fence for 25 miles of the 220 ac place. we pass many 140" deer every year. my tbh pic is the smallest ever killed on the 220, 144". every 2 or 3 yrs a mid 160's shows up.

all depends on your neighbors.

problem is like trophy trout. 1st guy to catch one thinks he must fillet them before the next guy has the chance.......

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
            On our 165 acres in Fayette county feeding year round and plenty of food plots seems to help. I know all the neighbors. They only feed during deer season and won't spend the money on plots. That being said we have had some of our better deer disappear pretty sure being shot by the neighbors. One thing I tell my family about shooting bucks on our place is if we shoot him we know he's dead. If we pass him there is a chance we will see him next year. It seems if a buck can make it through Thanksgiving weekend they have a pretty good chance of making it through the year. It is hard to listen to neighbors on opening weekend blast away. Oh well part of hunting small properties.

Perfectly stated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
              Feed'em and let'em get old.
              They will get "big".
              yep, you also have to be where "big" deer live. I have 50 acres in Hunt county surrounded by smaller properties that all hunt and we have at least (2) 135"+ deer on camera every year, and many that we see for several years. we also had one that got way bigger than that that nobody ever killed.

I have 2 other small places in areas that produce big deer every year, where the largest landowner is only a couple hundered acres, it takes luck and a lot of patience, and archery only counties help although we just had (2) young bucks killed, one 3yo and one 4yo within the last 2 weeks that would have possibly been a couple of the largest deer these areas have seen, very frustrating.
              Last edited by jshouse; 12-07-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                yep, you also have to be where "big" deer live. I have 50 acres in Hunt county surrounded by smaller properties that all hunt and we have at least (2) 135"+ deer on camera every year, and many that we see for several years. we also had one that got way bigger than that that nobody ever killed.

I have 2 other small places in areas that produce big deer every year, where the largest landowner is only a couple hundered acres, it takes luck and a lot of patience, and archery only counties help although we just had (2) young bucks killed, one 3yo and one 4yo within the last 2 weeks that would have possibly been a couple of the largest deer these areas have seen, very frustrating.
                where you at in Hunt County. I have 18 acres just south of Greenville. Feed protein year round have an acre summer plot and an acre winter plot. Have had bucks up to 177". Right know looking at 2 135-140" eights.

Comment

Originally posted by BULL21 View Post
                  where you at in Hunt County. I have 18 acres just south of Greenville. Feed protein year round have an acre summer plot and an acre winter plot. Have had bucks up to 177". Right know looking at 2 135-140" eights.
                  southern end, around the lake. our biggest this year is a 10 that will be in the 40s, we had another real nice 10 about the same size but haven't seen him in a while.

Comment

Depends, If you manage to hold "the right buck" on your property. All planets must line up.

Comment

If you shoot them because you think your neighbor will then you are no better than your
                      neighbor.

Comment

It is possible....I own 120 acres around Bokchito Oklahoma and killed a 154 last weekend. There are couple of other bucks that will score higher that are running around.

Comment

Working...
                        X