No announcement yet.

Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this got exciting!!! Glasses up this sow at 3/4 mi with about an hour before sunset and quickly closed in. Rangefinder went on the fritz so I knew I had to get in close, but I wasn’t expecting this! Creeping in around a cutbank with arrow knocked for the last 50-60 yards from her last know location and I suddenly hear piglets start screaming bloody Hell. And they were Close! Like 15 feet away. That is an Erie feeling if you’ve never experienced it. Quickly Momma started snorting and growling and charged right in looking for a fight. I was at full draw as soon as The commotion started and Shot her in the face at ~ 3 yards. Wow, what a hunt!

Comment

This was the board when i left tonight (mine is last, hog was quartered btw).

there was a REALLY nice Nilgai Bull that was brought in right after that isn’t on the board yet in this photo. 320 dressed I believe.

Comment

That’s some penetration right there.
        Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
          That’s some penetration right there.
          Congrats.
          That's what she said!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
            Well this got exciting!!! Glasses up this sow at 3/4 mi with about an hour before sunset and quickly closed in. Rangefinder went on the fritz so I knew I had to get in close, but I wasn’t expecting this! Creeping in around a cutbank with arrow knocked for the last 50-60 yards from her last know location and I suddenly hear piglets start screaming bloody Hell. And they were Close! Like 15 feet away. That is an Erie feeling if you’ve never experienced it. Quickly Momma started snorting and growling and charged right in looking for a fight. I was at full draw as soon as The commotion started and Shot her in the face at ~ 3 yards. Wow, what a hunt!

I bet that was a rush! Good shooting.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Spent 3 hours on a big cow and calf stalk. So disappointed. Thought it was coming together. Spotted them at 180 yards. Dropped pack and Crawled in. Had an iffy shot on the calf at 65. Probably would have presented one if I’d waited but decided to get closer. They had been in the same spot for 90 plus minutes so I thought that was were they were going to spend the day. Had to lose visual on them and when I popped out at 30 they were gone. Spent another hour closing the rest of the way in super slow hoping they were just bedded down but couldn’t turn them up. Dang! That was close. Super fun. Rifle would have been easy.

Comment

Got my name on the board on my first ever archery hunt and deer. Nice doe at 61 pounds. That nilgai last night was nice. I think they said 351 lbs

Comment

Spent 3 hours on a big cow and calf stalk. So disappointed. Thought it was coming together. Spotted them at 180 yards. Dropped pack and Crawled in. Had an iffy shot on the calf at 65. Probably would have presented one if I’d waited but decided to get closer. They had been in the same spot for 90 plus minutes so I thought that was were they were going to spend the day. Had to lose visual on them and when I popped out at 30 they were gone. Spent another hour closing the rest of the way in super slow hoping they were just bedded down but couldn’t turn them up. Dang! That was close. Super fun. Rifle would have been easy.

What unit are you hunting? That new guy looks like a geraf .

I bet u hoping they come back for the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                    What unit are you hunting? That new guy looks like a geraf .

I bet u hoping they come back for the evening.

That was in 8, I’m over at the top of 3 now.

Comment

That was in 8, I’m over at the top of 3 now.

Do you have a pop up or hunting on ground?

Comment

I'm on 8 and havent seen anything yet. There is some sign of deer and nilgai. Hope everyone has more luck than I've had.

Comment

No pop up.

Man what an exciting evening. Things got really slow after the temps picked up but right at 5pm I got on another cow/calf pair. After stalking in I ran out of cover but had a good clean broadside shot at the cow at 65 yards. I really took my time and released a perfect arrow. I can still see it flying through the air in slow motion. The cow’s head is down in the grass, she had no idea I’m there. The arrow is tracking perfectly and I can feel the excitement building of taking my 1st Nilgai... then about 2/3 of the way there is when the sound of the bow registers with her (and I’m shooting a halon) and she bolts. No look, no hesitation. She freaking moved her ENTIRE BODY forward before the arrow could reach her vitals. I was dumbstruck. Amazed and ****** at the same time. I can’t do any better than that. These things are completely switched on.

But the story gets better. Two crazy things happen next...

#1 - went I broke cover to go and retrieve my arrow, one of those ocelots jumped up and ran across the trail! It was so cool to see one. I had been seeing small cat tracks earlier but never thought id stumble across one! I had about 2 seconds of it in clear view but moving fast. I thought I’d kicked up a bobcat at 1st, but its body looked to long. Then I noticed the tail was way too long, and then I went back to the body and noticed all the spots just before it hit the cover on the other side of the access road.

#2 - when I went to retrieve my arrow, I found this laying on the ground...

Came close on Nilgai twice today. **** I want one of these things bad! Covered a lot of ground. 10 boot miles yesterday (would have been 14 if Dilley hadn’t have come to meet me packing out that hog) and almost 12 boot miles today (no bike). Loving this hunt!

Comment

One last thing. (IMO) If you are going to set up to hunt on a road and use it like it’s a shooting lane, then that’s fine by me and I have no issue with you doing so. But - you can’t be upset with me for walking through your “hunting spot”. Dude-you are ON THE ROAD. I don’t care if you hunt there, but it’s a freaking ROAD. You don’t own it. It is used for people travel. That’s why they call them roads. Sure, if I would have seen your orange hat or you waving your orange vest at me literally ANYWHERE else in the hunting zone besides a road then I would have changed direction as to not affect your hunt. But come on man, if you choose to hunt a road then just deal with the traffic and be kind.

Comment

No pop up.

Man what an exciting evening. Things got really slow after the temps picked up but right at 5pm I got on another cow/calf pair. After stalking in I ran out of cover but had a good clean broadside shot at the cow at 65 yards. I really took my time and released a perfect arrow. I can still see it flying through the air in slow motion. The cow’s head is down in the grass, she had no idea I’m there. The arrow is tracking perfectly and I can feel the excitement building of taking my 1st Nilgai... then about 2/3 of the way there is when the sound of the bow registers with her (and I’m shooting a halon) and she bolts. No look, no hesitation. She freaking moved her ENTIRE BODY forward before the arrow could reach her vitals. I was dumbstruck. Amazed and ****** at the same time. I can’t do any better than that. These things are completely switched on.

But the story gets better. Two crazy things happen next...

#1 - went I broke cover to go and retrieve my arrow, one of those ocelots jumped up and ran across the trail! It was so cool to see one. I had been seeing small cat tracks earlier but never thought id stumble across one! I had about 2 seconds of it in clear view but moving fast. I thought I’d kicked up a bobcat at 1st, but its body looked to long. Then I noticed the tail was way too long, and then I went back to the body and noticed all the spots just before it hit the cover on the other side of the access road.

#2 - when I went to retrieve my arrow, I found this laying on the ground...

Came close on Nilgai twice today. **** I want one of these things bad! Covered a lot of ground. 10 boot miles yesterday (would have been 14 if Dilley hadn’t have come to meet me packing out that hog) and almost 12 boot miles today (no bike). Loving this hunt!

Looks like you drew blood! If anyone sees a cow with no tail, you’ve found your girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just busted up another big bull while still hunting. He never even saw me. Heard me in the grass and bolted. Too thick in here. Gonna have to sit on a trail and catch one coming through (like I originally told myself[emoji2959]).

Dang these thinks are spooky!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X