pepper plant ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pepper plant ?

Bought jalapeno and ghost pepper plants in June and they have been in large pots on my patio since. They have grown nicely but neither have produced a single pepper. We may hit freezing tonight so I'm wondering is it worth making them house plants for the winter or is it a lost cause? I have a place they can still get lots of sun indoors.

I'd bring it inside, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
      Bought jalapeno and ghost pepper plants in June and they have been in large pots on my patio since. They have grown nicely but neither have produced a single pepper. We may hit freezing tonight so I'm wondering is it worth making them house plants for the winter or is it a lost cause? I have a place they can still get lots of sun indoors.
      Yes, I'd try to keep them alive.

I plant my salsa garden in the spring, but my yield usually isn't good.
      I water them with hose water all summer, which the plants hate and barely stay alive.
      But when the fall rains come and the plants are mature, they boom.
      My fall harvests are great.

My garden japs don't survive the winter and the plants may be annuals, not sure. But even so, I bet your June plants will fruit next spring.
      Chile pequins, the little native peppers are perennials and survive the winter freezes.
      They are zero maintenance and will produce.

Comment

If they aren’t producing I wouldn’t worry about them. The pots may be too small.

Comment

I planted peppers in Pots last spring and they produced so much I got tired of picking them. Not sure why yours aren't producing. I wouldn't worry about it and start over.

Comment

maybe to be safe bring them in. I think as long at they have water in the soil they would be fine but why risk it?

Comment

Maybe too much nitrogen and or too big of a pot...the plants might be focusing on root growth. Often when pot is too big and too much soil...its easy to overwater because the roots dont suck up the water at the bottom by the time the top is dry.

Ive noticed that plants that are root bound have a tendency to flower and fruit more...I think its a stress signal sent by the roots to the top...to procreate before it dies.

The jalapeno might overwinter fine. Im not sure about ghost peppers.

Good luck.

Comment

trash em and start over

Comment

If you bought them as young plants and they have not been pruned, That is why they are not bearing fruit. You have to prune them for force horizontal limb growth instead of vertical main stem growth. There are plenty of youtube video's. Just search pruning pepper plants.
                  As far as the cold, yes bring them in if you want to keep them. Place them in the house near a window that gets full sun if you can and they will bear fruit through the winter. Or, you can scrap them and start over in the spring as they are cheap and easy to do.
                  If you want, you can order seeds and start them from seeds in the winter indoors so they are ready to transplant in the early spring to an outside location. That is what I do with new plants.....LOVE MY PEPPER PLANTS. I grow pequins, serrano's, jalapeno's, ghost pepper's, and cayenne's

Comment

To grow plants in containers you must feed and water them properly....sometimes depending on the plant ands what it looks like, I feed plants every month in containers....In the summer heat you might need to water them every day or every other day...

Comment

Thanks everybody. They have been watered consistently, either rain or from my irrigation system which is Brazos river water. I pulled them in and will likely re-pot in bigger pots and try to grow them this winter. They do flower, just no peppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                        Yes, I'd try to keep them alive.

I plant my salsa garden in the spring, but my yield usually isn't good.
                        I water them with hose water all summer, which the plants hate and barely stay alive.
                        But when the fall rains come and the plants are mature, they boom.
                        My fall harvests are great.

My garden japs don't survive the winter and the plants may be annuals, not sure. But even so, I bet your June plants will fruit next spring.
                        Chile pequins, the little native peppers are perennials and survive the winter freezes.
                        They are zero maintenance and will produce.
                        Same here as far as timing. Get a few peppers throughout the season but been picking all day before the freeze tonight. I don't even water that much during summer, most peppers do fine when it's hot and dry. If anyone needs some cayennes, come on by

Comment

I started my ghost peppers and reapers in the office at the end of March. They are growing pretty well and have been transplanted into larger individual pots. I try to take them outside to get them acclimated but they wilt like crazy in a couple hours. I have tried it during the hot days and tried them last week during 70/80's weather. Any idea why? Wussy A/C plants? I do have some ghost peppers though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Peppers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	24596740

Comment

Anybody growing Anaheim or poblanos?

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                              Thanks everybody. They have been watered consistently, either rain or from my irrigation system which is Brazos river water. I pulled them in and will likely re-pot in bigger pots and try to grow them this winter. They do flower, just no peppers.

prune them will help with this

Comment

Working...
                              X