Thoughts On 1st Responders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
    I was absolutely not condescending towards volunteer FF's & you missed the point. I appreciate volunteer FF's as much as anyone. I was referring to a "volunteer", not a volunteer firefighter. The phrase volunteer firefighter was never said.

I'm not "whining" about what I chose to do & wouldn't change careers for anything. Like most threads on here, this one has taken a completely different direction than the original post. I haven't complained once about what I do. Pointing out situations & complaining are 2 different things. Reading comprehension is strongly lacking here. There's been so many accusations that it boggles the mind. Oh well, @ least it killed some time! Thanks to the 1 or 2 people who actually replied to the specific scenario.
    So you're downplaying the importance of the volunteers who have the equipment to help in rescues and utilize it? People with something like a boat, that use it to get their family to safety, drop them off, say I love you and good luck here, I'll see you when we're done? I can't recall a flood in recent history where these people haven't been integral in saving lives. They have no obligation, they aren't being compensated and are generally overlooked in after action reports of disaster situations.

Comment

Just thinking out loud here. Let me preface this w/I'm not too keen on entitlement programs, especially the abuse that goes along w/them. I feel this situation is unique & different. Thinking of all my brothers & sisters during this hurricane situation & their desperation in times like now. I'm a 1st responder (FF/Medic) & I feel like in times like these, where we have to abandon our own families & the well-being of our own homes, that the government should step in & help us put all the pieces back together. We do all that's asked of us for others & it'd be nice if it was paid back in times like these. It'd be nice if @ least our insurance deductibles were paid seeing as we weren't allowed to protect our own livelihood due to protecting others. Yes we signed up for this, but I bet @ that time there's not a single one of us who realized we'd have to leave our loved ones in times of massive peril, say 'good luck family' & leave them to go do for others what we wish we were doing for our own. I'm just thinking out loud here but a little help in times like these would be much appreciated. I don't live in a flood area but we do have tornadoes often & I've had to stay @ work & help strangers while my neighborhood was being annihilated. I may be the only one that feels this way & if so I apologize. Just bored & thinking is all. Does anyone else agree or am I way off base here? I hope you all stay safe during these trying times!
      Nope, no help from the government. Your help should come from your friends, family, church, Red Cross, etc.

Comment

Need some cheese with that wine

Comment

If the government steps in it will be costly and abused. The Gov continually mismanage while growing larger all the time.

Comment

I'm talking about the guys/gals who, right now, are having their homes flooded that they could've help stave off if they weren't helping someone else by saving their life and/or property.
            I think that most put the value of human life higher than that of personal possessions. If my house is going to flood in this situation, it's gonna flood and things can be replaced. Its not like you can save a whole lot anyway.. I'd have made sure my family was safe and went to work.

Comment

I did the LEO and then MEDIC thing for many years...never thought ONCE about being compensated working any catastrophic event. In my book one signs on to protect, serve so do it! Not the best pay, get screwed on over time but it is what it is. Not saying the OP does not take the vow seriously, but this is how I view it. I still remember the look on my families faces when I had to grab my gear and leave in emergencies when we were all called out. But they knew it was part of the job, but more part of my passion to help.

I know one thing, just seeing the devastation on the coast brings back memories and tears....life is precious, even if decisions bring on deadly results. God Bless ALL involved whether victims or rescuers!!!

Comment

I have been a flight/ Ground medic 30 yrs, I know what I signed up for, have a great job that will always be there, I am compensated and love what I do, I do not expect any extra compensation for the occasional disaster call out, and there has been numerous to include all the recient tornados of VanZandt co. Katrina and other flood disasters, I do what I do because I love it, I get payed when I'm out on these disasters, it's more than all the thousands of volunteers get. No I don't deserve or expect any extras.

Comment

I've been in the fire service for 21 years and don't agree with you. I think your post is coming from more of an emotional position than a logical position, which is understandable. It is very hard to leave my family when they might be in danger and I feel guilty about not being there to protect them. I would say it's not something a FF thinks about until the 1st time it happens to them. I often tell people I get paid for what I might have to do, not for what I'm actually doing right now. Leaving your family to fin for themselves in times of disaster to help others falls into that "might have to do category".

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
                    I think your post is coming from more of an emotional position than a logical position, which is understandable.
                    I think you hit the nail on the head. What got me thinking this was I read a thread that one of the guys on here posted, LSUBowhunter I think, about the situation he's going thru right now. He got his family lined out & was leaving for work (LEO I believe) while his house is flooding. It really pulled @ my heartstrings & hit me rather hard for some reason. He didn't suggest, imply or even mention anything I did in this thread, it's just his deal got me thinking. I was thinking/talking from an emotional position & not rational. I respect the he!! out of ALL people that make very important differences in our daily lives. Rant off & thank y'all for allowing me to 'bend your ear' for a bit!

Comment

Former Paramedic here.... paid and volunteer... I think we do what we do as a greater calling. We know what we are getting into. I knew that if there was a need that the stranger came first, before family, friends, eating, sleeping or whatever it was. I never expected anyone to do anything special for me because I was a 1st responder, it is the job we chose. It does suck because 1st responders don't get paid squat to do what we do (did)... and so paying a 1-2% deductible can be a big challenge for many. Quite honestly that is exactly why I got out of it... If anything, as first responders, I think we have to have a preemptive plan to address catastrophe's knowing that we will be called out and not able to give as much support to our family. That means getting out/securing property as far in advance as we possibly can. Family has to understand, appreciate and respect what you do and be willing to bail out early so that you can be focused on doing the job.

Comment

I'll say this.

My cousin is a former PJ in the Air Force. He was trained in all aspects of rescue. After he left the military he settled in the Houston area. His wife and kids are home with rising water (wife is holding down the fort like a champ) and he left to go help the National Guard and FD. Texted me and said he may need to rescue himself soon, as waters are rising into the FD. He will expect nothing in return.

I've never been in these situations and can't speak to it personally, but I think he is this epitome of a hero with zero regard for compensation.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I understand the OP's idea, but as a former LEO I also remember how the down time used to make my mind work, catastrophe or not. Lots of FF and LEO get very philosophical while things are quiet, and the mind begins to wander. Hang in there, and I appreciate what you guys are going through and doing for others. Being at work to help people that you can't reach, while your family is going through similar conditions, in a word, sucks. Military, LEO, FF, Medic, etc all go through it, and this is why such strong bonds are created among your repective brethren

Your extra compensation comes from the fact that kids want to be you when they grow up. You are a hero to many, but it sounds like you've forgotten that. Your badge is shiny because so is the perceived reputation for service to your community.

Hang in there.

Comment

This is prolly the worse thing I have ever read on TBH.

Comment

Compensated how? By low pay, working on Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter/etc., putting our lives on the line or the lack of appreciation by those we're helping?

Like I said, I'm not for entitlement programs but if documentation is provided that we paid dearly while helping others I can't see where the abuse would happen.
                              I am a retired first responder after 30 years, my body reached the point were it could not go any more,,, I have no regrets about what I did and none for retiring,,, but no one who is not, or has not been a first responder can relate because they have never looked from the inside out,, only from the outside in and looky loos only see what they want,,,,, hang tough, you are there because you do care,,, our reward is in Heaven, not in what man or government can or will do for us... my prayers are with you!

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                                This is prolly the worse thing I have ever read on TBH.
                                Not even close.

Comment

Working...
                                X