Off road LED install question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off road LED install question....

I want to install two 4" LED lights on the grill guard and a 24" LED on the roll bar above the windshield of my UTV. Is it possible to wire them to the headlight switch so that the 4" turn on when my lights are on low beam and the 24" lights come on when my high beams are activated?

How can i do this? I'm not very mechanically inclined when it comes to this kind of stuff. Thanks!

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
    I want to install two 4" LED lights on the grill guard and a 24" LED on the roll bar above the windshield of my UTV. Is it possible to wire them to the headlight switch so that the 4" turn on when my lights are on low beam and the 24" lights come on when my high beams are activated?

How can i do this? I'm not very mechanically inclined when it comes to this kind of stuff. Thanks!
    Splice into the switched power wire, run a jumper to a relay. Power the leds from the new relay.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, run your relay wire off the headlight wires, Power to lights off battery

Comment

What they said. Your headlight switch and fuses probably won't handle the extra current without a big voltage drop. You'll have plenty to operate the relay coil though. The LED light power will come from the battery and your headlight switch will just operate the relay.

Comment

Thanks...

I'll give it a whirl. Will I have any issues using these lights? Drain my battery, etc?

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	24502607

I'll need two wiring harnesses as well.

Comment

Should work fine. Check out Youtube, endless videos of people wiring these type of lights up. I think you can even get a relay kit from Oreilly's that will work. Comes with a switch also if you don't always want them one with headlights.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
              What they said. Your headlight switch and fuses probably won't handle the extra current without a big voltage drop. You'll have plenty to operate the relay coil though. The LED light power will come from the battery and your headlight switch will just operate the relay.
              Agree with what everyone else is saying.
              PS - 138watts at ~12v is gonna put you around 11amps on your system. Draining your battery will depend on the rest of the load and the quality of your system.

Comment

The only other load would be the regular headlights, dash lights, etc. that I can think of. What other load would be on it. It's a stock Diamo UTV, a knockoff of a Yamaha Rhino.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                  The only other load would be the regular headlights, dash lights, etc. that I can think of. What other load would be on it. It's a stock Diamo UTV, a knockoff of a Yamaha Rhino.
                  Ignition, Radio, winch, coffee maker, etc. You should be fine.

Comment

Haha! Ok. No radio, no winch, but i am open to a coffee maker. Maybe a toaster oven as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X