No announcement yet.

Buying RV, towing/weight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I've decided to go lighter. I'm looking at one that weighs 5500 dry and grosses at 7000. Does that sound better to y'all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 4R Daddy View Post
      So I've decided to go lighter. I'm looking at one that weighs 5500 dry and grosses at 7000. Does that sound better to y'all?

Think you will be happier. That's what I started with and had no problems. A light trailer will never be fun in wind no matter what you pull with.

Last edited by 41Chevy; 07-23-2016, 06:09 PM.

Comment

^^^ what he said. I have a Tacoma and I pull a 5k lb trailer. It's not bad and under the max weight however it's not that comfortable passing rigs and on high wind days.

Comment

This the hitch assembly I used. Has built-in away control and is easy to hookup.

Comment

We pulled the trigger. I'll pick it up mid August. Im pretty excited, it's the first camper I've had that isn't a 1970 deer lease POS.

Comment

Originally posted by 41Chevy View Post
              This the hitch assembly I used. Has built-in away control and is easy to hookup.
              http://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/...66030df828087b
              I have the exact same setup

Comment

This should work better.

IMO people get too involved in max weight when selecting a camper. The main problem with campers is that they are extremely light compared to the surface area subjected to wind.

A 5000# camper may cause trouble in windy conditions when a 8000# flat concentrated load will not given same tow vehicle.

Comment

Now I'm really confused. First too heavy was going to pull terrible, now I hearing light isn't going to do well.

Comment

Wind is a factor with any high profile vehicle or trailer. You will have better control of 5000 wagging behind you than 8000.

Truth is if you are not hitched up properly both loads could give you fits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

You are not gong to happy towing with a 1/2 ton pick up. Suspension is weak, drive train is weak, especially the transmission, if you will be pulling 1 or 2 times a year you can get by. Sooner or later you will realize you will need a bigger truck.

Comment

Now I'm really confused. First too heavy was going to pull terrible, now I hearing light isn't going to do well.

Lighter pulls better but not as stable. There are trade offs. I'm pushing 32,000 pounds now so wind doesn't affect me like it did with a 5,000 trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                          You are not gong to happy towing with a 1/2 ton pick up. Suspension is weak, drive train is weak, especially the transmission, if you will be pulling 1 or 2 times a year you can get by. Sooner or later you will realize you will need a bigger truck.

I agree. That's the only reason I'm keeping my 3/4 ton diesel. I don't want to pull 6700#'s with my 1/2 ton and can't swing the cash for a new truck right now.

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
                            Yes it will pull it. You won't break any land speed record but it will do fine as is. To be on the safe ER side I would install trailer brakes and only use a weight distribution hitch and sway bar.
                            ^^^^ THIS!!! Weight distribution hitch with sway bar and trailer brakes are the only way to go with that much trailer. Most dealers won't let you drive out without WD hitch. The question isn't really if you can pull it, it is if you can stop it and if you can control it. I bought a 2015 F-150 XLT Sport SCrew and a 2015 Forest River Surveyor last year with an Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit and installed a Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Controller with a factory harness. My trailer is level the ride is smooth.

Comment

I have basically decided that if I'm gonna own a camper then I have to have a 3/4 pickup at the minimum, there is just no comparison.

Comment

I think you'll be much better off with the light 5,000-5'500 lbs trailer. I had a trailer that weighed 7,500lbs empty and it was waaaay too much for my chevy 1/2 ton I had at the time and my tow capacity on that truck was 8,500, just like your Dodge. That was towing empty too. It's just too much tongue weight for that 1/2 ton. Even with a weight distribution hitch, it nearly put my truck at the spring stops. I went to a 3/4 diesel. Problem solved. Even with that truck, though, the weight distribution hitch was needed. I'm now on my second trailer which is much lighter. It's easily half ton towable. But, it's too small for my wife's liking, so we're probably going to get another one somewhere between our 1st trailer and second trailer, but still half ton towable so it can be pulled with her truck as well as mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X