No announcement yet.

4th Grade Math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only said 63 because everyone else was saying 17....no basis in math facts except addition....I can do addition!

Comment

Pickle

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
        ABC and CAB are the same thing....as is DBC and CBD. C and A are the common rays.....we are given that in the equation and we are given D.

The little right angle symbol they are showing you in the problem assumes it's a right angle and is based off 90°.....so we know ABC is 40 and DBC is 23....if ABD + DBC = ABC, it's safe to assume that ABC (40) - CBD (23) = ABD (17)....basing it off of a right angle.

Now I have a headache......
        Sorry bud, but the symbol in the problem just indicates an angle, not a 90 degree triangle. Angle ABC doesn't necessarily equal angle CAB.

It's never safe to assume in Math. Math is exact, except in the case of problems with too few constraints.

....no hard feelings and not trying to be a horses backside - just like math (no nerd jokes)
        Last edited by StrayDog; 04-20-2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Bacon! Bacon is always the answer!

Comment

What did you daughter say and what did the teacher say the answer was?

Comment

The important part to me is that is says they share a ray and form ABD. This to me implies together the angles make ABD not that ABD is formed by drawing a ray.

Comment

They share a ray. A ray is a line with one defined endpoint that continues to infinity. With that said the angles share CB with their respective angles going opposite directions at point B. 63 is my answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Eleventy five thousand.

Comment

You know you HAVE to go talk to the teacher now and report back your learning's...and if she's hot, provide a picture.

Comment

I'm going 63...they form the angle so to me you add them together. Forming would mean that they combine together to make a new angle, combine =add

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

The trick is in the wording of the problem. I believe the drawing on the op's example drawing is incorrect as to the wording. It says they share a ray and form angle ABD. The original drawing does not present a view of the two angles forming angle ABD. In this case ABD is there regardless of ABC or not. Therefore, MAC's drawing of the word problem would be the correct representation of the word problem as best as I can tell, leaving ABD to be the sum of the other angles or 63 degrees.

Comment

My only question after reading all of this is................HOW DID I PASS 4th GRADE!?!?!?

youtube/user/jordanflash714.com

Comment

Math is definitely different now than it was when I was in 4th grade

I had to take my SAT tests when I was in my early 30's for part of the equation they used for applicants for X-ray school
                            I asked what math was on it and was told "basic high school math"
                            Definitely wasn't any high school math I had

Comment

D. All of the above.

Comment

My Brain is hurting, from all this!!!! ohhhhh wait,, I got to have , in order for it to hurt.!!!!!!!!
                                but still no Bueno...

Comment

Working...
                                X