Getting Wild Hog ready for Roasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Wild Hog ready for Roasting

Any tips on getting a wild hog ready to be roasted. I tried scalding water and it seemed the hair was too thick for this method. I had the water boiling and some hair came off but not all of it. I ended up skinning that one and it was not as good as leaving the skin on.

Any tips on removing wild hog hair would be greatly appreciated.

I was told by the man that I buy my roasting pigs from, and I've tried it myself with the same results as you, you can't scrape a wild hog due to the thick hair and the small bristles that they have. I just skin them and roast them like that. I was also told the water shouldn't be over 170 degree's. Here's a few pictures of the wild ones that I did in my Cajun microwave

Last edited by firecapt186; 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Sometimes I heat up my water in a big crawfish pot then use a smaller pot to pour the water on the skin. And I use a bell scraper. This method is slower but has worked for me on the tougher thicker hair.

Comment

Showing my age but we scraped many, many wild hogs when I was a kid. Wait until a cold spell came in, catch the hogs and haul them to Grandpa’s. Shoot them between the eyes quickly stab them in the heart to bleed out.

Uncle Shorty had a barrel in the ground set at about 30/35 degree angle. We would heat up two wash pot of hot water just before it started to boil we would start dipping out the water placing it in the barrel. Grab the hog place him in the water letting him sit a little, flip him over, pull him out and check his hair by pulling on it, if the hair releases easy flip and check the other side. Pull him out of the water place on a table and start scraping. Yes some of the older hog’s hair was hard and we would scrape it leaving stubbles in the hide.
        After scraping, we hang him up and gut out. Cut him up into hams, pork chops and sausage meat. The fat skin was put together from all the hogs and rendered out in the wash pots for the grease. This made those great cracking.

Oh, those bygone days. Yes, I was raised in the Big Thicket, Old Hardin to be exact.

Comment

Hey FIRECAPT, how about some directions on that Cajun microwave? Very cool

Comment

Originally posted by ChadMR82 View Post
            Hey FIRECAPT, how about some directions on that Cajun microwave? Very cool
            it''s called a La Caha China. it's a cuban pig cooker.

Comment

I've scraped some wild hogs, and my advice is to take a 3, 4" and/or 6" window scraper and rotate/use optimal one using the boiled water. I personally like to get seasoning between the skin and meat also, but have found people like the hogs with the skin stripped more than just skinned.

Comment

Cover pigs body with burlap sacks and then put the boiling water on the hog over the burlap sacks. Then take off the burlap sack and use a sharp knife to take off hair. Should come off easily.

Comment

I had some hog hunters here that hung their hogs up (ungutted) and burned the hair off with a pair burner (Tractor Supply), them sprayed them off with a pressure washer. It only took a few minutes and seem to work great.

Comment

Shop the largest selection of La Caja China & Caja Asadora Roasting Box barbecue grills on the market, as well as whole animal Spit Rotisseries, A-Maze-N Smoking products, and much more.

I just remove skin and then roast

Comment

Originally posted by firecapt186 View Post
                      I was told by the man that I buy my roasting pigs from, and I've tried it myself with the same results as you, you can't scrape a wild hog due to the thick hair and the small bristles that they have. I just skin them and roast them like that. I was also told the water shouldn't be over 170 degree's. Here's a few pictures of the wild ones that I did in my Cajun microwave

Dat's the way um hum um hum.... I like it!

Comment

yea I want to know bout that Cajun microwave also

Comment

Originally posted by Bro. Bill View Post
                          yea I want to know bout that Cajun microwave also

Comment

Originally posted by jetlag887 View Post
                            I had some hog hunters here that hung their hogs up (ungutted) and burned the hair off with a pair burner (Tractor Supply), them sprayed them off with a pressure washer. It only took a few minutes and seem to work great.
                            What is a "pair burner?" Sounds like it is worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by treestand View Post
                              What is a "pair burner?" Sounds like it is worth a try.
                              It's a pear burner, to burn cactus. I think harbor freight or tractor supply still sells them.

Comment

Working...
                              X