Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
TradAg02
Ten Point

Question Ranch Investor Wisdom

Over the years we have had a large number of “how to” or “how do I” buy ranch real-estate threads here. Most of those threads pertain to finding or financing land. I’d like to hear from those of you who have bought and sold ranches who would be willing to share some of your experiences.

For anyone generous enough to spare some time and share some wisdom, following are a few questions in an effort to get things rolling:

What was your best experience? What made it the best experience?

If you could go back and change one thing, what would it be?

What aspect of a particular piece of property brought you the most joy or satisfaction?

What was your biggest headache?

What improvements provide the greatest opportunity of profit?

What improvements do you lose money on?

Thank you in advance for allowing us to benefit from your experience.
TradAg02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
Kingfisher789
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Good fences make good neighbors
Never over capitalize a piece of property
Kingfisher789 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradAg02 View Post
Over the years we have had a large number of “how to” or “how do I” buy ranch real-estate threads here. Most of those threads pertain to finding or financing land. I’d like to hear from those of you who have bought and sold ranches who would be willing to share some of your experiences.

For anyone generous enough to spare some time and share some wisdom, following are a few questions in an effort to get things rolling:

My best and only experience was finding 1178 Madison County acres for sell in the Conroe Courier newspaper classifieds. What made it the best experience was the fact that me and the seller agreed on a price that was more than fair and it was such a good deal that the bank required ZERO money down to finance it.

I sold the ranch in 2012 to finance a new business interest. That business has turned into a great business, but my wife and kids sure do give me a hard time about selling that place.

What aspect of a particular piece of property brought you the most joy or satisfaction?
Fishing for white bass with my wife on Bedias Creek. Seeing my kids and their friends enjoying the place. Trapping hogs with my buddies and managing low-fence deer and seeing them get better every year. Seeing my Dad and Mom relaxing on the porch. Watching a hayfield full of black cows with a calf by their side.

**** Cows and **** cowboys

Money producing improvements such as hayfields, crops, stock facilities or structures such as houses. I added another 350 acres that adjoined another county road and I feel that having two access points, one on a state hwy and one on the county road made the land more valuable.

Fences, roads, drainage and outbuildings

See my answers in BOLD above.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
kch73
Eight Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Water and/or lack of it...makes or breaks a place imho...

What I mean is flood plain, well, community water, tank, river, lake, etc etc...
kch73 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch73 View Post

What I mean is flood plain, well, community water, tank, river, lake, etc etc...
Very true.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Following
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #7
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
See my answers in BOLD above.
TIL I have been doing it wrong. I need to be looking for land that's "for sell" and not "for sale."
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
TIL I have been doing it wrong. I need to be looking for land that's "for sell" and not "for sale."
hahahaha....yep. You got me.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
Jake
Four Point

Narrow the area you are searching. 4 counties is about as big of an area that you can fully understand the market, unless this is your full time job.

Study the comps like a hawk in that narrowed area for several year. Study the properties that sit versus the properties that sell fast. You need to feel 100% confident on what market price is in your area.

Work to understand what improvements are cheap and easy and what improvements are expensive and difficult. For example, I like to find properties that have had a house on them at one time and it is either gone now or so run down that the seller gives it no value. It's cheap to move or tear down a house. The big benefit is that you probably already have power, water and maybe septic at that location. Those can be very expensive to add to a property that has none, but you will not end up paying for them on the purchase if the house is gone or run down.

Any money you spend to add or enhance water features on the property makes you 4x what you spend on it.

Do not build a big house, tennis courts, any kind of Equine facility, nice skeet shooting range or nice vertical improvements. Most of the time, not always, but most of the time, you will get less than 50 cents on the dollar of what you put into those improvements.

Don't buy anything with easements or restrictions of any kind. If seller wants to put restrictions on at closing, say no or make sure that they have a time lapse on them.

Don't buy unless you have the money to hold for 5 years. Even if you plan to sell it after fixing it up in a year or two, make sure you have at least 5 years of carry. You never know when the market will turn.

You will make or lose 90% of your money based on your purchase price. Smart improvements are typically worth 15% upside at best. So Buy Right.

Obviously there are thousands of other variables, but those are the ones that come to mind. I'm interested to see what others have to say on this topic.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
SaltyMutt
Four Point

Looking to get a place of my own within a few years, this is great information so far. Thanks!
SaltyMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
CEO
Ten Point

How does everyone view mineral rights? It seems on most tracts no rights are conveyed. That's always been a worry when looking for property.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
brokeno
Six Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Mineral rights. a buddy of mine bought 1200 acres in coutulla about 12 -15 years ago and got no minerals. At the time he didn't think anything about it. He High fenced it and was lucky enough to have great deer genes and killed several deer over 200 inches then came the eagle ford shell. After 20 plus wells and more on the way and traffic like 35 on Sunday afternoons he couldn't take it anymore and Sold his place.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #13
TKK
Ten Point

you most likely will not get mineral rights anywhere

We bought a 500 acre ranch in 2000 - stunning place with two houses, two garages, pens, barn, etc. Had 8 acre lake on it and a live creek running through it. Paid $750K

HFenced it, improved deer herd, remodeled house, etc. Bought an additional 100 acres for cheap. Sold it five years later for 1.9 K plus we got to live there the entire 5 years.

We made good money on it - it is for sale now for a little under 5 mill by the owner - hard to beat real estate if you can live with it through real estate downturns.

Water is important as stated as well as location. I have also bought raw pieces of property, cleaned them up and added a few improvement (dug a pond for example or cleaned cedar) and turned it for a very nice profit.

my advice is find a really good real estate agent and look for property that is in the path of progress/growth. Clean it up and wait - in time you will make money
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
How does everyone view mineral rights? It seems on most tracts no rights are conveyed. That's always been a worry when looking for property.
I don’t need mineral rights and lots won’t convey especially in good drilling areas. I do need executive rights so a previous owner isn’t dictacting when and where the operators can build their roads, tank batteries and other details involved. There is no reason to buy and have no say over what others do on your place
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #15
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

Haven’t bought ranches but a couple small pieces of land. But I know a guy who has had fortune 500 company and has bought and sold plenty and gotten rich off of it. Main thing he told me if you wanna make money don’t fall in love with it
fbchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #16
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Electricity, water (well or running pipeline), new roads and new fences are expensive. Even on a small place. Brown Co. land was cheap till we did those improvements.
At least “some” Mineral rights are really important. Especially If you end up in an active area. Executive rights have to be included.

Long hilly roads in East Texas require constant repair.

Water bodies are invaluable. Live creeks insure game. Tanks and lakes provide entertainment for family and friends.

Shape of the acreage is important. My place is too narrow. Rectangle or square is most desirable.

Lastly, one bad neighbor can ruin your land owning experience. Especially a very new landowner that doesn’t want to be a neighbor, just an investor. Thank goodness I have had great neighbors for 30 years in Leon Co. Except that new one.

Worst thing about my Leon Co place is highway noise. Best thing about my place is it is 1/2 mike off hard top road.

Last edited by Big pig; 11-23-2017 at 07:01 AM..
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #17
TradAg02
Ten Point

Great tips, keep’m coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #18
CoachStanton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Punkin Center, TX

Following

CoachStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2017, 12:10 AM   #19
Bubba
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County

Following
Bubba is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #20
TradAg02
Ten Point

TTT

Old 11-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #21
MLAH
Four Point

^
MLAH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #22
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Great idea for a thread! Following. Hopefully this one will get rollin good with a whole bunch of input.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #23
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradAg02 View Post

Buying a ranch in South Texas

I would have bought the whole ranch instead of a part. Land values doubled in the two years after I bought. I could have bought the whole thing. Sold half two years later and would have basically wound up with a free ranch.

The great deer hunting

Buying property in the hill country. I thought I could make the transition from South Texas but I don't like the hill country. Nice to look at but the hunting sucks compared to South Texas.

Clean up the place and make it shine if it needs it. Perhaps a high fence. Don't spend a lot of money on improvements

Basically all of them. It's all about price per acre when you sell. Your improvement my not be important to the next buyer. Kinda like putting in a pool when the new owner doesn't want one.

M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
WBT
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stephenville

I spent more than two years looking at a bunch of ranches that had been on the market for several months to years. Almost all of them had one of two issues. They were either priced way too high for the area or had a combination of problems such as poor fencing, energy production/no minerals, or a bunch of small neighbors with blinds along the fence line.

One problem I failed to appreciate at the time was the impact of windmills. They're popping up all over Texas and they destroy the value of neighboring land. Right now you can find ranches immediately adjacent to windmill projects and the land values have plummeted 25-40%. And I've seen some sellers trying to get out of their current property knowing a future windmill project is slated for their area. I'd be on the lookout for this.

It's already been mentioned, but you have to really understand the market in the particular area you're targeting. And I mean really understand it.

When I found my current ranch, I immediately jumped on it. It was listed on Saturday and I almost had to force the listing broker to show it to me the following day. It was priced right and I sent an offer to her on Monday morning. By the time the seller accepted my offer on Tuesday afternoon, there were already three back-up offers. The point of this being that the best properties (assuming they're priced right) tend to sell very quickly. You have to know what you're looking at and be prepared to move quickly.
WBT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #25
aking6341
Spike

Following
aking6341 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #26
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

Lot of good information here. When I bought my place I zeroed in on the county or counties I was interested in, basically the S Tx Golden Triangle for me. I then got w a couple different ranch brokers and let them do the leg work. The good ranches don't make the internet. They are found and sold through word of mouth and hitting the pavement. I looked for a couple years before I found my ranch. The first time I visited the property we filled out the paperwork on the hood of the truck and had offer to owner same day. As said above be ready to pull the trigger. I already had my financing lined up through Capital Farm. Try to find land that has large neighbors. It goes w/out saying but if you don't have water you have nothing.
I bought raw land w no improvements, best bang for the buck.
Good luck to everyone looking to buy there dream place.
TexasTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #27
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT View Post
One problem I failed to appreciate at the time was the impact of windmills. They're popping up all over Texas and they destroy the value of neighboring land.
I don't understand this. Can you unpack it a bit? Why does a wind farm on my neighbor's land hurt the value of my land? Just because he now has an income-producing property?
Old 11-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #28
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't understand this. Can you unpack it a bit? Why does a wind farm on my neighbor's land hurt the value of my land? Just because he now has an income-producing property?
It's an eyesore that nobody wants to look at. They don't want to look at huge power lines either. But if you can't beat them you might as well join them.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #29
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
you most likely will not get mineral rights anywhere

We bought a 500 acre ranch in 2000 - stunning place with two houses, two garages, pens, barn, etc. Had 8 acre lake on it and a live creek running through it. Paid $750K

HFenced it, improved deer herd, remodeled house, etc. Bought an additional 100 acres for cheap. Sold it five years later for 1.9 K plus we got to live there the entire 5 years.

We made good money on it - it is for sale now for a little under 5 mill by the owner - hard to beat real estate if you can live with it through real estate downturns.

Water is important as stated as well as location. I have also bought raw pieces of property, cleaned them up and added a few improvement (dug a pond for example or cleaned cedar) and turned it for a very nice profit.

my advice is find a really good real estate agent and look for property that is in the path of progress/growth. Clean it up and wait - in time you will make money
just sayin = done this for years - get a good real estate agent you trust - they can make you money if they are the right person
Old 11-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #30
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
just sayin = done this for years - get a good real estate agent you trust - they can make you money if they are the right person
If you do enough business with one they can find you good properties. But you have to be in the loop. Most of them have investors lined up when a good deal comes along or will buy it themselves.

Locally owned banks are a good source for real estate deals. They know who's hurting and need to sell. Get to know the bankers and take them to lunch once and a while. It can pay big dividends. Don't forget the 3 D's or real estate. Death, divorce, and debt. Use these to your advantage and make your money when you buy. Motivated sellers are where it's at.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #31
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch73 View Post

Can you elaborate on the pros/cons of the above listed issues you've mentioned?
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #32
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

The feeling, you can't describe working and hunting your own place.
Honestly, nothing. If you do it right!
All facets, the hunting, fishing, exploring, and time spent with family.
Trespassing from time to time, but there is no getting away from that completely.
Utilities, barn and Lodging.
As stated above, fencing and roads.
TradAg02 is offline Report Post

Now for some other thoughts,
1. Forget about mineral rights. You can either buy them which is way too expensive “if they sale” or you can pick up the percentage the previous owner had from a foreclosure which I did. Aside from that forget it.

2. There is a bad misconception on having no rights with just surface. Incorrect, when the oil field was booming I had the option to allow a pad sites for $25K a piece or not. If I decline they can directionally drill using a neighboring property, which they ended up doing.

3. Easements make sure you know who has one, who doesn’t and never grant one without being ordered by the court.

4. Look north, the land is cheaper, dirt cheap taxes, and better deer.

5. Buy unimproved land and paint your master piece.

6. Utilities-make sure power is close and a reasonable distance, rural water is worth more than a well, wells are great as well just do your topographic research and discussions with well companies for that specific area. I have known a man that has spent $30k on dry holes. The well on my previous property produced 21 gallons a minute which is now owned by a fellow TBH’er!

7. If buying north, make sure you build you power team accordingly. Electric, barn builder, plumber, ECT because there are a lot of con artists that will rip you off.

8. As said before neighbors are important.

9. Land layout is important “Shape”.

10. Do not listen to nay sayers about your dream.

11. Do not listen to the stereo types about an area IE Oklahoma, East Texas. I grew up in East Texas and killed better deer there than some boys who spend $6K a year in South Texas. Remember, the masses believe what they want to believe not because it’s right, but because it makes them feel better about their own inaction.

12. Water is important and if the place your are looking at has very little that can be a bargaining chip and changed with some dozer work once you take the reins. Remember, buy a blank canvas and paint your master piece!

13. Be decisive, drop the hammer immediately once you find what you are looking for. If not a guy like me will steal it from you! Forget the whole, my wife and I will talk about it and get back to you routine. Guys like me love that!

14. What’s important to you? Envision that and when you find it you will know it!

15. Good luck, never quit, and surround yourself with people who have the same dream!

16. ACT! Interest rates are going to continue to rise which will effect how much land you can buy!

Threads below are from past and current projects!

This is the thread to my first place that I recently sold to a TBH'er!
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=325487

This is the thread to my current place.
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=651455

Last edited by Darton; 11-27-2017 at 12:25 PM..
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #33
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
There is a bad misconception on having no rights with just surface. Incorrect, when the oil field was booming I had the option to allow a pad sites for $25K a piece or not. If I decline they can directionally drill using a neighboring property, which they ended up doing.
Your comment is a misconception in itself. Just because someone was nice enough to offer you $25K for a pad site with Door #2 being directional drilling *does not* mean this is how it will be for every other surface owner in the state who is not vested with executive rights in the minerals.

The vast majority of surface owners will be forced to accommodate the dominant rights of the mineral estate.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #34
Darton
Ten Point

Quote:
Your comment is a misconception in itself. Just because someone was nice enough to offer you $25K for a pad site with Door #2 being directional drilling *does not* mean this is how it will be for every other surface owner in the state who is not vested with executive rights in the minerals.

The vast majority of surface owners will be forced to accommodate the dominant rights of the mineral estate.
Is it a misconception in itself or is it that I reside in and am referring to the Sooner State and not the Lone Star State? Each state varies which is why I advocated buying north
Old 11-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #35
Pintail45
Four Point

Hunt In: Across the great blue yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
I don’t need mineral rights and lots won’t convey especially in good drilling areas. I do need executive rights so a previous owner isn’t dictacting when and where the operators can build their roads, tank batteries and other details involved. There is no reason to buy and have no say over what others do on your place
Roads and easements are leased from the surface owner, not the mineral owner. You should be able to dictate where and when they can build without any executive mineral right.
Pintail45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #36
Stick-Launcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Stick-Launcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #37
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Is it a misconception in itself or is it that I reside in and am referring to the Sooner State and not the Lone Star State? Each state varies which is why I advocated buying north
Oh good lord. If you're gonna come to *Texas* Bowhunter and give advice about oil and gas and talk about ranches up north and without meaning North Texas, say where! I hear land is cheap and livin is easy in Saskatchewan.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #38
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintail45 View Post
Roads and easements are leased from the surface owner, not the mineral owner. You should be able to dictate where and when they can build without any executive mineral right.
You’ll get damages but depending on some wording that may be it or may be as you say. Each lease is different but I’m sure you already know that. I know one of our old leases doesn’t allow for much say at all without.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #39
Darton
Ten Point

Quote:
Oh good lord. If you're gonna come to *Texas* Bowhunter and give advice about oil and gas and talk about ranches up north and without meaning North Texas, say where! I hear land is cheap and livin is easy in Saskatchewan.
This thread is to help provide helpful information to people who are wanting to buy their own place no matter where it is. Many TBH'ers own in the Sooner state even after owning in Texas. Oklahoma is a viable alternative for some especially when it comes to prices and quality of the hunting. So, if you have nothing to offer in terms of advice or experience please move along!

Last edited by Darton; 11-27-2017 at 04:42 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #40
Texans42
Ten Point

I’ve had some lucky breaks on my land purchases, my advice is figure out if you want,
Income producing or recreational/investment land, and what’s your end game.

For experience I have found none do both great or even good. It’s one way or the other. I’m sure some eagle ford guys would disagree but how many bought purely on speculation, probably less then 1%
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #41
Texans42
Ten Point

Cool

Quote:

You should PM TBH ownership about this for clarity.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #42
Darton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
I’ve had some lucky breaks on my land purchases, my advice is figure out if you want,
Income producing or recreational/investment land, and what’s your end game.

For experience I have found none do both great or even good. It’s one way or the other. I’m sure some eagle ford guys would disagree but how many bought purely on speculation, probably less then 1%
Huge point I forgot to make! Thank you Texans42!!! You must figure out your end game before you buy!!!! Ironically this is the most important part!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #43
WBT
Eight Point

Quote:
Windmills are an eyesore and they’re noisy. Darkness can’t even hide them because they have blinking red lights. And then you have power line easements. I’ve even heard some people claim the constant flickering of light causes them to become ill. Not sure I believe the last one, but some claim it so who knows.

I believe Texas A&M conducted an analysis of the negative impacts windmills have on real estate values. The impacts are real and if you don’t mind them, you can pick up a nice property at a significant discount.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #44
WBT
Eight Point

I’ll add that I wouldn’t give up on obtaining mineral rights. Of course you won’t get them in the Permian, but they’re certainly obtainable in areas with low energy production. You can find maps showing existing oil and gas wells. Just target areas that don’t have many and you’ll be surprised how many people still have mineral rights. For example, Hamilton county doesn’t have much production and a lot of sellers are willing to let them go.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #45
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
Huge point I forgot to make! Thank you Texans42!!! You must figure out your end game before you buy!!!! Ironically this is the most important part!
for me the best land purchase is one you can use for recreation while you own and improve it and then sell it for a profit - I have done it several times with success
Old 11-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #46
Darton
Ten Point

Quote:
for me the best land purchase is one you can use for recreation while you own and improve it and then sell it for a profit - I have done it several times with success
You and I sir have the same recipe! Depends on your goals
Old 11-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #47
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

Fences
Water well
Electricity are all big money savers

The one thing I would look for is A place that when you are there at the place you were going to put your tent, that you can see out over hundreds of acres. It Makes Your Place feel much bigger if you can see over a distance. 10,000 acres but only being able to see 1 acre makes it feel very small. 80 acres in being able to see 1000 acres makes your place feel very big.
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #48
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT View Post
Windmills are an eyesore and they’re noisy. Darkness can’t even hide them because they have blinking red lights. And then you have power line easements. I’ve even heard some people claim the constant flickering of light causes them to become ill. Not sure I believe the last one, but some claim it so who knows.

I believe Texas A&M conducted an analysis of the negative impacts windmills have on real estate values. The impacts are real and if you don’t mind them, you can pick up a nice property at a significant discount.
There are certain places wind turbines and technically also windmills(water is of great value)do drive up land prices. I assure much of my land recently went up double in value soley to wind turbines

Last edited by Texans42; 11-27-2017 at 07:21 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #49
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma
Default Ranch Investor Wisdom

Quote:

A couple of points:
1. Looking around here, there are folks that “come to *Texas* Bowhunter” from all over the country. Darton’s public service post was full of excellent information with multiple references which were clear that some of his experience is in the great state of Oklahoma. That and his well established posts documenting multiple acquisitions, building dream properties seemed pretty plain to me.

2. I’ll take advice from someone that has and continues to live what he preaches! Take what you want and leave the rest. Believe what you want but the proof is in the pudding.

To the OP, great topic!

Carry on.

Last edited by Booner Sooner; 11-27-2017 at 07:45 PM..
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #50
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

So not to hijack the land buying topic.if you want to make money would it be smarter to take the money and by multiple rent houses and then you would monthly and on the sale? I am asking because I bought a property that is increasing in value but because of limited funds iris a small place 50 acres. I could by 8 houses for what it is worth. Just wondering.

gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top