Crested Butte Skiing???? Or ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crested Butte Skiing???? Or ??????

We are wanting to go skiing in February and Southwest Airlines has some amazing deals out right now to fly into Denver! Ive been doing some searches on here for good places to go that won't break the bank that are within 4 hours or so of Denver. I came across a couple posts talking about Crested Butte but not a lot of info. Looks like its off the beaten path and a little cheaper than the other more popular areas like Breckenridge and Steamboat Springs. We are all beginner skiers......does Crested Butte have much for the beginners or is it more geared for experienced skiers? Also going in February I know the weather can turn in a hurry....how is the drive from Denver. Looks like there are a couple passes to cross to get there. We will be renting a car to drive from the airport. Can you rent 4 wheel drive with chains, maybe a tahoe or suburban? Any other recommended ski areas that are not too far of a drive from Denver that is good for families with small kids that won't break the bank. We plan to ski 2 or 3 days and then do a dog sledding day and a snow mobile day.

If I was flying into Denver, for a budget ski place I would hit Keystone or Copper Mountain. Breckenridge is great but a little pricey unless you stay in Dillon/Silverthorne. Arapahoe Basin is great too and all those are closer than Crested Butte...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
      If I was flying into Denver, for a budget ski place I would hit Keystone or Copper Mountain. Breckenridge is great but a little pricey unless you stay in Dillon/Silverthorne. Arapahoe Basin is great too and all those are closer than Crested Butte...
      Awesome thank you. I will look into those!!

Comment

Arapahoe dude
        Or even Loveland since y'all are beginners
        Both within 90mins of Denver

Comment

I would stay away from Crested. I love it as a ski area but, I would never try to make that drive from Denver in the Winter. To me, it would be worth the money to fly American into Gunnison. If you are set on Southwest, there are plenty of other resorts within 1.5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
            We are wanting to go skiing in February and Southwest Airlines has some amazing deals out right now to fly into Denver! Ive been doing some searches on here for good places to go that won't break the bank that are within 4 hours or so of Denver. I came across a couple posts talking about Crested Butte but not a lot of info. Looks like its off the beaten path and a little cheaper than the other more popular areas like Breckenridge and Steamboat Springs. We are all beginner skiers......does Crested Butte have much for the beginners or is it more geared for experienced skiers? Also going in February I know the weather can turn in a hurry....how is the drive from Denver. Looks like there are a couple passes to cross to get there. We will be renting a car to drive from the airport. Can you rent 4 wheel drive with chains, maybe a tahoe or suburban? Any other recommended ski areas that are not too far of a drive from Denver that is good for families with small kids that won't break the bank. We plan to ski 2 or 3 days and then do a dog sledding day and a snow mobile day.
            We went to Crested Butte two Spring Breaks ago. There is skiing for beginners. It's a great little mountain. Downtown was cool with lots of shops and restaurants.

We had a flight from Denver to Crested Butte that was cancelled on the runway due to weather. Next flight out was much later the next day which meant we lost a day of skiing so we were gouged on a rental and headed out.

We did not have chains but had a 4x4 Tahoe. We had pretty good weather but going over Monarch Pass was the most nervous I've ever been behind the wheel. There were 2 or 3 cars heading the opposite direction that were dangerously close to skidding off the mountain. If you go, make sure you have chains!! Like I said, we had good weather. While we were there it snowed several feet and I don't think we could have made the drive in any other day.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              Arapahoe dude
              Or even Loveland since y'all are beginners
              Both within 90mins of Denver
              I'll second Loveland ski area. It's VERY affordable, and the first place you hit leaving Denver, yet, was never too crowded. We stayed in Georgetown about 10 mins away. The link below is the best deal for a ski vacation:

http://skiloveland.com/4-pak/

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                I'll second Loveland ski area. It's VERY affordable, and the first place you hit leaving Denver, yet, was never too crowded. We stayed in Georgetown about 10 mins away. The link below is the best deal for a ski vacation:

http://skiloveland.com/4-pak/
                That's why I mentioned loveland.
                Because of the ease of access.
                But you know arapahoe is just right over the pass a few more minutes west.

For beginners, this is all you need.
                Both areas make snow too if conditions aren't right.
                But Feb - Mar us usually "powder hounds" weeks so should be no problem there.

Comment

Loveland can get miserable if it's windy, but closer to Denver. Winter Park is also closer to Denver. Here is a map of ski areas close to Denver. Click on the map to enlarge.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I not opposed to driving a few hours from Denver to get away from the crowds and have a little more remote area to explore as long as I can safely get there.

Comment

The crowds on the front range are brutal, especially on weekends. Crested Butte and Telluride are awesome ski areas well away from the front range crowds. Flying to Gunnison would be better, but have driven there many times from Dallas. February snow is the best time to hit Colorado, but powder will be more difficult for beginners.

Comment

keyston is a great place. My wife and kids all learned at Keystone and love it.

Comment

A few years ago while living in Lbk we drove to Crested Butte and met some friends from B/CS who flew in. Loved the mountain and the little town. Snowed 24" while we were there. Amazing skiing. We also did a snowmobile trip. "Shreddin' the fresh pow bra" was our weekend warcry.

We dropped friends off at Gunnison airport like 6AM and drove the 12 hours to Lbk. I called them as we pulled into my driveway and his response was "We're stilling the f*ng airport in Gunnison!" Weather delays. They were pretty upset with the airline folks. You'd think they had it figured out as often as it probably happens but they botched their experience pretty badly. Ended up staying another night in Gunnison and flying out the next day.

It made our 12 hour drive worth while.

Comment

Working...
                          X