Is this worth it? Lease amount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jakesfish View Post
    Jr, if you live in Killeen, you are closest to one of the best deer leases a man could have @ $100.00 a year, 335K acres... look into it...
    It aint what it used to be.
    I hunted it from about 1980 to 2004 and there are a lot of folks that think the place belong to them and them alone. They suck up the spots during the week even though they are not hunting. I could not get clearance to hunt on a week day much less the weekend

Comment

Absolutely

Comment

I have hunted that area all my life and you probably wont shoot any huge deer but there should be plenty of deer. If you shoot a 120" deer you are doing well. Also have some Axis in the area but not 100% positive your exact location. Most Axis are just West of the Lampasas River.

Comment

Is do it whether I saw good sign or not in a heartbeat sight unseen. That's dirt cheap. You know there is deer in the area. Throw up a feeder, rent a tractor with shredder and go to work. Get some feed going and the deer and prob pigs will follow

Comment

If he would let you hunt arrowheads I'd pay $600 in a heartbeat for that possibility alone.

Comment

Sounds like it would be good for you
              Especially only 10 min from you, you could hunt more often than those of us that are hours from a lease
              I think you should try it, you know after the first year if you want to continue

Comment

One thing that hasnt been mentioned is the very real possibility of a deer that's been shot crossing the property line and getting access to that property for retrieval.
                I've hunted a property very similar to this and more times than not especially with archery equipment the deer I shot crossed the fence before dying.
                Just something to think about.

That being said. I would lease it for myself and me and my kids would be out there A LOT!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Float that river and drink some beer and enjoy yourself

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    It aint what it used to be.
                    I hunted it from about 1980 to 2004 and there are a lot of folks that think the place belong to them and them alone. They suck up the spots during the week even though they are not hunting. I could not get clearance to hunt on a week day much less the weekend
                    You need the inside track then

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Comment

It's only $50 a month just don't go out to eat 1 day out of the month and there's your payment. If that grass is 5ft tall just cut some shooting lanes in it. Deer like those fields for the cover. Also like everyone said, it's 10 minutes away and even if you don't hunt you can pitch a tent on that river bank and camp out. Your kids will love that. Also you may be able to duck hunt the river. I see it as a perfect opportunity! Hunt, fish, ride atv's, camp out, target shoot,,,,creating memories!

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
                        I'd say give him the $600 and ask him if you bail the coastal if you can split the profit of hay sale. Make some your money back. We get 3 cuttings a year off of ours and if it's 5' tall then he is not doing anything with it anyway.
                        This is what I would do. If he was looking for 2 people at $600 per, I would offer him $1K for the entire place to yourself. He might just accept it considering he wouldn't have to deal with 2 parties.

Either way, I'd be all over that for 10 minutes from the house. I used to hunt a place (yes, it was overpriced) that was only 15 miles from my house. Had a lot of fun out there, even for just a place to tool around in the off season.

Comment

Thanks for the maps and everything. I called the land owner and I signed a lease for $650. All of your legwork was very helpful.

Edit: Just kidding, but you are taking a chance posting this on a public forum. Looks like a nice place. Hope it works out.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out where that place is at. I was born and raised in Killeen and have spent most of my life in the Maxdale area, being i married my highschool sweetheart, and her dad worked my like a mule on the ranch, her place is off Wolfridge Rd. in Maxdale.
                            We hunt out there quit a bit and always see deer, just not a lot of trophies, but it isn't always about that. The deer don't really get much of a chance, most folks shoot everything that walks out there but you will see deer. I have buddies all up and down the river and family friends with places on the river as well. The river is shallow but we float it and hang out there a lot during the summer, always a good time and good memories made, hard to put a price on that. But for $600 and access to the river you can't beat that with a stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakesfish View Post
                              You need the inside track then

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
                              Im not even slightly interested in the inside track anymore.
                              My dad guided out there for 20 years,i guided out there for several myself.
                              I grew up dreaming of the day I could take my kids out there.It should be worth the effort but to me it no longer is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbler View Post
                                It's only $50 a month just don't go out to eat 1 day out of the month and there's your payment. If that grass is 5ft tall just cut some shooting lanes in it. Deer like those fields for the cover. Also like everyone said, it's 10 minutes away and even if you don't hunt you can pitch a tent on that river bank and camp out. Your kids will love that. Also you may be able to duck hunt the river. I see it as a perfect opportunity! Hunt, fish, ride atv's, camp out, target shoot,,,,creating memories!
                                I'm about 40 minutes from my spot and it's awesome, 10 minutes with river access, sounds like a dream come true.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X