Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Philosophy BOCO - Buy Once Cry Once or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harbor freight is greatness. I bought a heat gun to change the screen on my laptop (loosen adhesive on glass) and it was something like~$10. Used it once never used it again. I could smell burning plastic when I used it, but it managed to hold for the length of the job!

Comment

I am a "Cheap Route" guy, except I treat everything I own (including hunting gear) like I was a "BOCO Route" person. I am plumb OCD with the upkeep of anything I own. My bow doesn't go back in the case without being wiped down with a damp cloth. My shotgun doesn't go back into the gun cabinet until all smudges, marks, blood, ect.ect have been wiped from it.

The one thing I have found that I am more of a "BOCO Route" with is sunglasses

Comment

I'm a BOCO guy. I look at it like this...I buy the nice gear for mainly hunting Texas whitetails, but when I do go out of state or on some higher end hunt, I'm pretty much already prepared. I wear nothing, but First Lite clothing and I'll tell you what, I've never been more comfortable in the stand. Period. I tend to really take care of the higher end stuff though. I know what I paid and don't want to cry again if I break or lose one of those items. When I was younger, I bought nothing, but cheap stuff. Didn't have a care in the world if it broke or I dropped it walking out of the woods.

Comment

buy once cry once for sure but thats an evolution.

it started as cheapest i could find because i needed 100 things which became
          spend a little more on stuff that broke because i needed fewer things which became
          buy stuff that was middle of the road which became
          start paying for quality

at this point if i need something that i don't have i have the luxury of spending more to get better.

example it took me 12 years and about a dozen crappy bino's to finally have gotten swaro El's. I've now owned them for 7 years and completely satisfied with them.

Comment

OK, I have never heard of this First Lite clothing so I'm gonna look it up. Personally, I have found if I buy cheap, I treat it cheap and if I buy expensive I treat it better. Terrible I know, but honest

Comment

I very rarely buy new.
              But with Binoculars, I go all out and buy the best. A one time purchase that has payed off well for me. I use my Swarovski's for a hour per hunt I would say. No eye fatigue at all. If I pick up my bow or rifle I only use the scope for 1 minute or so.
              Everything else I buy quality older items that are well taken care of.

Comment

The older I get, the better I want my gear to be. Especially if it is meant to keep my dry and warm. I save allot of money by working on my bow and guns myself. I will by used also if it is a good deal.

Comment

I've learned that BOCO is the best way to go about it. However, Budget dictates what I buy. when I was prostaffing, it was BOCO all the way.. with heavy discounts from my sponsors. Now that I am Self funding, I am a Buy the best that my budget can afford, and maintain it like it was the Best thing ever.

Example: I just got on my lease, and needed a 4 wheeler. My budget due to having 2 grandbabies, 2 girls in College, a son in High School, and my wife totaling her car dictated I spend less than 500. I bought a 98 King Quad for $250, Cleaned it up, replaced a few parts and it is now a beast of 4 wheeler. I would love to go get a brand new UTV, but this is a hobby for me. I am not making a living at it, nor am I depending on it for food. I take care of my equipment, and it takes care of me.

Comment

Personally I am a minimalist. Probably because I grew up with my grandpa who lived through the depression and his tightness rubbed off on me. But the gear I have is usually top end stuff. I don't want to waste time replacing something I need or have it fail me at a critical time. Although I don't know if you can consider vortex binoculars top end but I beleive they are great for their price.

Comment

Figure out what you really need, then look for value. Sell the junk you don't use.

Comment

It really depends on the item for me. I typically take the BOCO philosophy on core items such as firearms, fishing rods/reels, bows, etc. If you buy higher-end on these types of items, you will have things that will last many years.

Clothes, sometimes cheap, sometimes not. I refuse to wear cheap sunglasses, but couldn't care less on shirts, shorts, pants, etc. I own more Magellen than Columbia and hit up the Academy sale rack for camo.

One thing I originally would go cheaper on were feeder timers. Bit the bullet about 6 years ago on some Timers and 12 volt feeders; been a great investment and all are still going strong.

Like others have mentioned, if I were going on some type of high dollar, out of state hunting trip, I'd probably spend more on certain items I typically don't.

Comment

A good buddy of mine turned me onto the BOCO philosophy a long time ago and I'm glad. I almost NEVER buy retail and hunt for a bargain but only for quality stuff.

I look at the guns, bows, scopes etc that I bought, still have and will pass onto my kids. Quality counts...

Comment

Working...
                          X