Antler Growth Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler Growth Question

Seems anthers have either started growing earlier, or are growing faster (larger earlier) than they have in years past based on game camera pics on both my hunting properties.

Do antlers grow for only a period of time (example: X amount of days) and then become hard horned? Of will this early growth give more growing time to the deer before they become hard horned.

TEACH ME PLZ....

I don't think there is a magical # of days they grow. Some bucks shed their antlers earlier each year. Some grow very quickly and then stall out and some come on strong in the end. I have had a handful of deer on our place that have looked mediocre in July and August and September roll around and they explode. Don't think you can make a generalization about deer on the whole. I think it is more specific on a case by case basis. Might get an extra week or two in velvet but don't think that necessarily translates to more bone. Some just seem to stall out at the end.

Comment

A lot of truth in what Tilden said. It's unpredictable.

From a physiological standpoint, a buck's system is going to take care of its body first. That is, nutrients are allocated to muscle, organs, etc before antler growth. That's why young bucks have small antlers, because those nutrients are going toward body growth. That's also why we see increases or decreases in antler size depending on annual rainfall, or smaller antlers on a buck that's been physically stressed. So when we have timely and abundant rainfall, which results in abundant weeds and fresh browse, nutrition is on a higher level allowing the body to be readily maintained and allowing more toward antler development.

So, the variable rate of growth during summer could be attributable to variable range conditions during summer and/or buck body condition coming out of winter. That's why supplemental feed grows bigger antlers, because the bucks are on a constant high nutritional level.

Antler growth is around 6 months. Growth, velvet shed, and antler shed, are ultimately controlled by day length which triggers testosterone increases and decreases.

Comment

^^^ very good information. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post

From a physiological standpoint, a buck's system is going to take care of its body first. That is, nutrients are allocated to muscle, organs, etc before antler growth. That's why young bucks have small antlers, because those nutrients are going toward body growth. That's also why we see increases or decreases in antler size depending on annual rainfall, or smaller antlers on a buck that's been physically stressed. So when we have timely and abundant rainfall, which results in abundant weeds and fresh browse, nutrition is on a higher level allowing the body to be readily maintained and allowing more toward antler development.

So, the variable rate of growth during summer could be attributable to variable range conditions during summer and/or buck body condition coming out of winter. That's why supplemental feed grows bigger antlers, because the bucks are on a constant high nutritional level.

Antler growth is around 6 months. Growth, velvet shed, and antler shed, are ultimately controlled by day length which triggers testosterone increases and decreases.
          Great info!

Antlers are the fastest growing tissue! Some grow up to 1/2 inch per day! Like mentioned above growth is regulated by hormones and controlled by the number of daylight hours.

Here is an example of 2 different bucks from last week here in Henderson County.

Notice the dates. Buck pic with more growth was taken 4 days earlier.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Antlers86; 05-05-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
            I don't think there is a magical # of days they grow. Some bucks shed their antlers earlier each year. Some grow very quickly and then stall out and some come on strong in the end. I have had a handful of deer on our place that have looked mediocre in July and August and September roll around and they explode. Don't think you can make a generalization about deer on the whole. I think it is more specific on a case by case basis. Might get an extra week or two in velvet but don't think that necessarily translates to more bone. Some just seem to stall out at the end.
            Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post

Great info, guys. Thanks!

Comment

agree 100% I've has bucks look finished out with pointy tips near a month before they shed velvet, and some look like they are still adding all the way through the week of shedding velvet. Each one is different and progress at their own pace IMO...

Comment

That's for clearing it up for me! Good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes great info!!

Most are usually pretty close but I always have a few early or late each year.

Comment

My years of experience and exhaustive research have revealed that antlers grow faster on deer in areas where I don't happen to be hunting.

Comment

From what I was told by deer biologists a deer will start growing antlers 1 week after shedding and after 127 days growth will be complete.

Comment

Nailed it. And Antlers86' pics go on to show it.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                          agree 100% I've has bucks look finished out with pointy tips near a month before they shed velvet, and some look like they are still adding all the way through the week of shedding velvet. Each one is different and progress at their own pace IMO...

This. Each one is different. Just like people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X