Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Buck and Axis, how often do they breed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Buck and Axis, how often do they breed?

Also, how many babies do they generally have?
    Thanks

They don't. Not the same species...

Comment

Are you asking to explain the birds and the bees?

Comment

Not with each other.

Comment

Axis can and do breed year round. Never killed one that was not pregnant and/or had a fawn at her side. Blackbuck breed and produce twice per year. The herds I have been around had young in Feb and then again in August. I have only seen single young in each species.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
            Axis can and do breed year round. Never killed one that was not pregnant and/or had a fawn at her side. Blackbuck breed and produce twice per year. The herds I have been around had young in Feb and then again in August. I have only seen single young in each species.
            Thank you for this information. I'm trying to figure out when my 3 black buck bucks and 10 black buck doe will produce enough to see regular on 110 acres. Thanks

Comment

Do you have a predator proof fence?
              Seems like this BB babies would be snacks.

BP

Comment

I believe axis can also drop fawns every 6 months

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar Hunter View Post
                  Thank you for this information. I'm trying to figure out when my 3 black buck bucks and 10 black buck doe will produce enough to see regular on 110 acres. Thanks
                  One ranch I was on started with 3 BB adult doe, 1 yearling doe and 1 BB breeding age male. 5 yr later there were 80+ head on 75-80 acres LF netwire pasture in the ranch. Had a buddy who put the same numbers you did except on 600 HF acres and 5 years later he had over 150 head. In 3 yrs you should have enough to not want anymore young born. I would say if you have no predators you will have more BB than you want in short time.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                    One ranch I was on started with 3 BB adult doe, 1 yearling doe and 1 BB breeding age male. 5 yr later there were 80+ head on 75-80 acres LF netwire pasture in the ranch. Had a buddy who put the same numbers you did except on 600 HF acres and 5 years later he had over 150 head. In 3 yrs you should have enough to not want anymore young born. I would say if you have no predators you will have more BB than you want in short time.

Wow
                    So you're saying a guy with 500 ac HF with 15 female BB & 6+ male BB could have 200+ blackbuck running around in a few more years?

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                      Do you have a predator proof fence?
                      Seems like this BB babies would be snacks.

BP
                      It's high fenced property. But I've never seen predator proof fence. I bet bobcats and big cats could always get in.
                      Last edited by Lonestar Hunter; 04-23-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                        Wow
                        So you're saying a guy with 500 ac HF with 15 female BB & 6+ male BB could have 200+ blackbuck running around in a few more years?
                        IME, Yes with low predation and good feed/grass it is possible for 15 females + 6 males could be 40+ hd by late this fall or winter with two 100% crops of young ones born into the herd this year. By the end of next year you could have 40+ breeding age females producing by that fall. Every year after that your breeding female herd goes up by a large number and it won't take to long for numbers to get out of control under ideal conditions.

Comment

So what management methods do these guys use to cull & curb their herd numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar Hunter View Post
                            It's high fenced property. But I've never seen predator proof fence. I bet bobcats and big cats could always get in.
                            The apron along the bottom of the fences reportedly keep out coyotes.
                            Bobcats seem easier to control. Wonder if those big white sheep dogs could be employed if you did have a problem.

Sorry OP. But we are considering some BB and there are some big yotes in our area of brown county.

Comment

The HF that I hunt at has the predator fence & it helps some but we still get yotes digging under from time to time

Comment

Working...
                              X