A lot fewer Remington actions……..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot fewer Remington actions……..

Will be coming through our shop in the future. We do a lot of builds on 700s………..a lot. Heck, we have two complete product lines that utilize them. I personally spend most of my time on a machine making them suitable to build on. They are undoubtedly the most economical platform for a custom build, and they usually don’t disappoint on the performance end when it’s all said and done. However, their availability has become almost as spotty as their quality over the past year. Some are pretty straight, some take a lot of work to get trued and timed, and some are so far out that they simply can’t be. The bigger problem is, any other option automatically adds at least $500 to the price of a build. A deal- killer for folks trying to work within a budget.

We have been looking for a suitable replacement for a long time with the requirements that it would need to equal or surpass a trued Remington in dimensional tolerances and aftermarket parts options, while keeping the price within the same ballpark. It is a pretty tall order, and one that has went unfilled until now.

A few months back we were made aware that there were some of the old Ed Brown designed 704 actions floating around and available at a really good price. These were leftover actions from the falling out of the first generation of LAW, or Legendary Arms Works. I made arrangements to get one in my hands for review. Our excitement didn’t last long upon receiving the sample and giving it a thorough going over. Without going into a lot of detail, it was quickly apparent why the price was so good and why they were “available” in an industry where good things usually have a waiting list. They simply would not work for our needs. I wrote a thank you letter to return with the action explaining what I found, how I found it and why it would not work for us………never expecting to hear another thing about it.

And I didn’t, until a few weeks later when I got a call from the actual owner of the company that made the actions! Lol. I was brutally honest in my review, and probably measured things that most hadn’t bothered with before, like OCD level stuff, so I figured he was calling to tell me what HE thought of my review. Haha. Thankfully that was not the case at all. What I got was the opportunity to meet 2 really sharp guys that run a shop with the capability to make things with mind-blowing tolerances and consistency. He took the time to explain to me that the actions were made to the exact specs they were given, and were in no way a reflection of their capabilities. A lot of things involving the history of these actions started making sense

He made sure I fully understood that they had NO issues holding the tolerances I had spec’d in my letter and was willing to show me. He asked if I would be interested in giving them a shot at sending me another one machined to my specs. Well……….YEAH!! The replacement showed up a couple weeks later and well, he was right! They blew my specs out of the water! There were some critical surfaces that I could measure NO runnout using some very fine indicators. It beat some very top-tier actions in that regard. Sold. We jumped on a plane and went to meet face to face and check out the facility.

Impressive beyond words for machinist type geeks like me. We took that time to go over some changes that would streamline the action and make it work better in it’s current iteration. We also wanted to add a few APR touches that bring it in line with our current offerings. Tightening up the specs did drive the price up as expected, but DID NOT kick it past our original goal of staying in the ballpark of a trued Remmy. That’s the long story, and if you stuck it out this long, here’s the outcome of all of it.

A modified Ed Brown design featuring controlled round feed, mechanical ejector, side bolt stop release, threaded bolt knob, spiral fluted bolt, pinned recoil lug, tool-less fire control removal, all held to custom level tolerances and fitting in a Remington 700 footprint, retailing for $695. To put that in perspective, a Remington is about $400 and another $150 to true it. So you are looking at a complete custom action for just $145 more than a trued 700! That should be game-changing for guys building their first custom, or those working with a limited budget. And I won’t miss performing daily surgery on Remingtons!

Thanks for reading,

Robert
    Alamo Precision Rifles
    aprifles.com
    Last edited by Stick1; 07-14-2018, 06:10 PM.

Cool stuff Robert and good to hear of positive results

Comment

That is simply awesome Robert...happy for you!!

I am curious about the pics & what you regard as the controlled round feed?? Sorry, I'm old school and combining the pre-64 claw controlled description with a non clawed round feed has me scratching my head?? I always envision the claw feed as grabbing the case head during the initial forward cycle & used for extraction. The pics appear to be a traditional push feed like all other remy footy prints / bolt types?? Only thing I can think of is more along the lines of a Sako extractor, but that's not really control feed??

Not being critical, just wanting to learn.

Comment

Nice looking action, and keeps the safety positioned just as it should be, for me at least. (Not a fan of the Winchester model 70 type safeties.) Nice touch having your logo on the side too !

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          That is simply awesome Robert...happy for you!!

I am curious about the pics & what you regard as the controlled round feed?? Sorry, I'm old school and combining the pre-64 claw controlled description with a non clawed round feed has me scratching my head?? I always envision the claw feed as grabbing the case head during the initial forward cycle & used for extraction. The pics appear to be a traditional push feed like all other remy footy prints / bolt types?? Only thing I can think of is more along the lines of a Sako extractor, but that's not really control feed??

Not being critical, just wanting to learn.

Artos,

It is a little different than the typical claw extractor, but essentially does the same thing. Kind of a hybrid for lack of better words. You can see the extractor in the 3rd pic. It captures the case head at the hand-off point when it clears the feed rails. If for some reason it does not, the extractor can pivot for case head clearance just like a push feed when going into battery. Hope that makes sense.
          -Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Nice looking action, and keeps the safety positioned just as it should be, for me at least. (Not a fan of the Winchester model 70 type safeties.) Nice touch having your logo on the side too !
            That was one of the bigger changes we made. The action was originally designed with a 3 position safety. At some point it was changed to accept 700 style triggers and safeties, but the shroud was left pretty much unmodified. I bet there was a 1/4 pound of unnecessary steel hanging off the back of the bolt serving no real purpose.

Comment

Are these actions available to poor saps like myself?

Comment

Here's a better look at the extractor.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                  Are these actions available to poor saps like myself?
                  We have the short action standard bolt faces now. The Long actions should be here soon. Working on the short mag bolt faces now. Probably not going to be any small boltfaces on this platform.

Comment

Man I'm digging that. Needing a hot 7 something or another mag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I really like the safety on my LAW 260. They really built some nice guns. Too bad they had so many problems. Those are gonna be some nice actions. Remington might as well hang it up.
                      Last edited by M16; 07-14-2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Very cool.
                        It's sad to hear about the decline of the once mighty Remington.

Comment

Are y’all going to have any LH short actions?

Comment

That helps a ton...so you basically combine a Sako extractor with a control feed & lose the 3rd ring of safety remy liked to tout. I've pushed a 6BR to extreme high pressure with a Sako extractor & never did buy into the marketing. I'm diggin it.

Hope it's a home run for ya!!

Comment

Congratulations to you and the team.

Comment

Working...
                              X