Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started shooting high

Greetings all,

I just got a thumb release yesterday and have been shooting close range in the house just practicing my form and getting my new anchor points down with it. I've never felt so comfortable with a bow as when I'm using this thumb release.

Anyway, I've just been shooting spots on my target, and just started shooting 2-3" high all of a sudden. It sure doesn't feel like my form has changed that drastically, but I decided to take a break and see what y'all think might be the problem. I've been shooting five arrows into the target and it started on arrow 5 of one volley. Then everyone since has been consistently 2-3" high. I'm only shooting from 3-4yards, so it seems like a pretty drastic change. I'm shooting an HHA single pin and checked to make sure nothing moved there. My peep doesn't seem to have moved.

What does the green screen say?

2013 Elite Hunter 28.5"/68lb
    HHA single pin
    QAD HDX
    26" Easton Hexx .400
    Spot Hogg whipper snapper release

Back up to twenty and shoot a few. Make sure everything feels right and is comfortable. See where the arrows hit. Doesn't seem to unreasonable to have things drift a bit while you get used to the new release. If all feels good and bow is tuned then adjust your sight. I know I hit a little different day to day. Sometimes when I shoot with glasses I am off a bit vs contacts. I move my sights a bit, never giant amounts, and go on. I know Pete Shipley used to talk about moving his sights a little almost every time he shot. And he is pretty good with a bow.

Comment

Just saw you are shooting a single pin. I don't know what to do exactly with that part if you need to adjust. I shot one only briefly. If you just switched to thumb it can change a little. I would go shoot at 20 yds.

Comment

Im going to be able to shoot farther tomorrow, just seemed weird that I was shooting fine after acclimating to the new release and then I just started shooting high out of the blue.

Thanks for the help, Ill update with what happens tomorrow, hopefully its just a fluke.

Comment

Check you nocking point.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGArchery View Post
            Check you nocking point.
            Just shot through paper. Fletched arrow looked great, bare shaft showed a very slight low tear, though not near low enough to be the cause of such a drastic impact point change. I corrected for it nonetheless and am about to head out to shoot at distance. Thanks for all the help so far. I'll keep everyone updated.

Comment

Working...
            X