Know anything about this bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know anything about this bow?

Found this bow at my dad's house and he gave it to me. Anyone know anything about this bow? How old? How did they shoot? Worth anything? I'm kinda scared to draw it back....probably has original strings on it.

Martin Cougar magnum. Very good bow for it's day, just old now. Everything looks good, but it is hard to tell from a photo. The thing that would bother me would be the ends of the cables blowing off when shot. That bow is old and the cables need to be looked at very carefully. Dacron string can be replaced very cheaply.

Comment

As MS said the string needs to be changed. Something you can do yourself with the teardrop system. Martin had the top of the line with that bow, and was a great bow. Todays bows are so much more efficent. The cams, strings, limbs, design, riser are all different from that bow. Do not use modern strings, (fastflight) on the bow, it will damage the limbs. The riser is magnisium, today made of alumimum.

Comment

Cougar Mag, heck of a bow way back when.

Comment

appreciate it fellas.....I've only been shootin a couple of years, but I knew this bow was a relic when I saw it.....thought it might be fun to shoot it a little though.....when did Martin make this bow?? Late 80's??

Comment

Originally posted by jess.martin9 View Post
            appreciate it fellas.....I've only been shootin a couple of years, but I knew this bow was a relic when I saw it.....thought it might be fun to shoot it a little though.....when did Martin make this bow?? Late 80's??
            I know they were available in the mid 80's but I am not sure when Martin came out with them.

Comment

Looks like an early 80s model according to this:

Very cool find. You might contact Martin and see what they would recommend as far as getting it shootable again.

Comment

Thanks.....appreciate the info!

Comment

i would definitly change the string as others have said

Comment

Dang that looks like Bo and Lukes bow!!!

Comment

I used to shoot the camo version back in the early 90s. It was a huge upgrade from my Bear Whiteail Hunter II that was like a 7 part pully system.

Comment

Working...
                      X