Mounting cameras high to prevent theft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting cameras high to prevent theft?

Had to replace my trail cameras due to public land theft. Im thinking about using my tree steps to mount my new ones up high in trees angled down over a trail so that they are out of sight and harder to steal but I don't know if I am really going to get any good pictures that way.

Anyone tried anything like this or am I better off just concealing them best I can? I don't really want to buy lock boxes for them as I've already overspent the hunting budget.

Yes. Pics aren't as good but your camera is less likely to be stolen.

Comment

I have heard of this being a way. Could you get good pictures maybe. I would just recommend that you conceal it a little better and try a python cable if you don't want the lock box. Just remember if someone wants the camera bad enough they will go to extreme measures to get it. It's sad but the truth that we have people like this but what else can you do except do your best to secure and conceal it. Good luck to you hope this helps a little.

Comment

Works great

Comment

I camo mine that I use on public land! Super easy and you can make them difficult for you to find them yourself sometimes haha One of the biggest things I have found is to break up the outline, don't leave it square. All it takes is a little time , hot glue gun, and some bark or sticks, etc.

Last edited by ChickenWilly; 10-04-2015, 04:54 PM.

Comment

^^^^^^^ That is awesome!!! Great idea I'm going to have to use this.

Comment

Thanks chickenwilly I'm gonna do that

Comment

In my opinion if ya leave anything on public land ya should expect it to be stolen, that way when it is in fact stolen it's no biggie, when it's not it's like a pleasant surprise.. I would never take someone's camera, but public land, public stand, public camera.

I do look for them though while scouting.. I wanna photobomb some cameras for sure!! Maybe if ya can find some thorns or briar and place them around the camera that might help, not sure how much it will mess up the focus though. I've seen a wedge type accessories that ya mount the camera on so that it points towards the ground. Good luck

Comment

Thanks Chickenwilly. I like that camo job! I think that is an upcoming project on my list now.

Comment

I've done a couple like that and it worked great. And putting them above eye level is always a good idea if you can. The first time I put the one pictured out I had to look for a minute to find it haha I knew about where it was but it darn sure blended in well

Comment

I left a cam on public land a couple months ago and got lucky. Someone found it deleted the pics then turned the camera to point into some thick grass. After that I bought some eye bolts that I can screw into the bottom of cam and into a tree and just use a wing nut so i can angle it down and tighten it whatever angle I want. I take my climber with me and set them about 10 feet up and got some great pics. Caught 3 bucks fighting a couple weeks ago. Also got pics of two guys walked right under it scouting and never looked up at it.

Comment

I camo mine up but I put mine on the ground. I can cover a trail or an area under a tree very well. I have yet to loose one. I don't put them on the trail but perpendicular. Most people will follow the trail and not check to the sides for cameras. On a special note, the deer will find the camera from the LED glow or the odor you leave on the camera. Expect some close-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
                          I camo mine that I use on public land! Super easy and you can make them difficult for you to find them yourself sometimes haha One of the biggest things I have found is to break up the outline, don't leave it square. All it takes is a little time , hot glue gun, and some bark or sticks, etc.

Genius

Comment

Working...
                          X