How to hunt Black Gap for Mule Deer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to hunt Black Gap for Mule Deer.

My party of 3 where drawn for Archery Mule Deer @ Black Gap in October. Got the primitive camping thing. Looking at towing a U-Haul trailer for extra water and provisions.
    Am sure a 4 wheel drive or a 4 wheeler would be an advantage to getting around. How's the terrain?
    How would you go about hunting your compartment?
    Ever see any cats?
    Snakes?
    Bring extra 5 gallons of gas?
    What the heck an I getting into?

Black Gap

Back in college I spent a few weeks out there while getting my Biology degree.
    We were catching big cats to put radio collars on them and doing predator/prey studies. Water is the key. Not sure if you can hunt the cisterns, but there are several small water ponds located throughout the area. We trapped bats at night over the ponds and there were lots of tracks around the ponds. Not sure how often they visited them during the day. We did see quite a few deer while hiking. Might have the best option just glassing the hills. Will need to bring extra water and probably a little extra gas to keep you from having to travel back to town as often. Don't get off the trails with your tires, lots of "horse cripplers" that is the name for the small cactus with long spikes that grows everywhere. If you make it down to the river there is some good catfishing. We saw most of our deer on the front end of the wma. In the back is where the bighorn sheep reside. You might get a chance to see a few.

Comment

We hunted there about 15yrs ago. Also hunted in October, it was hot and didn't see much movement during the day. We hunted the guzzlers during the evening. The "guzzlers" are a water catchment system. They will explain. Didn't have any luck but really enjoyed the trip. Didn't see any lions. Saw Javelinas, coyotes and a few Muleys. They also had small bear traps in our compartment. Rangers said you might think they were a wild hog from a distance because of their size. Didn't see any.......good luck. I would take some kind of pop up blind and hunt the water (guzzlers) or make some sort of a make shift blind when you get there.

Comment

First off, you suck. LOL. :P

Been trying to get back to BG for years now, with no luck. My brother and I hunted there twice back in the "good 'ol days" (early 90's) when you could just get the annual permit and go. 1st time we were like you - had no idea what to do or where to go, but it ended up being a pretty successful hunt. I missed shot at a MD buck and I connected on a javelina (back when you could shoot either... like I said, the "good 'ol days").

We hunted near the guzzlers on trails that led to them. I think at the time there was a distance we needed to stay away from them.

I just made ground blinds out of some of the yucca and they worked fine. Muleys are not nearly as smart as whitetails. I wouldn't use a pop-up out there as I think you'd be busted from 1/4 mile away.

Lots of quail and great scenery. I hope to get back there eventually, while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. LOL.

Comment

Following...

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
            First off, you suck. LOL. :P

Been trying to get back to BG for years now, ........ I wouldn't use a pop-up out there as I think you'd be busted from 1/4 mile away.

Lots of quail and great scenery. I hope to get back there eventually, while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. LOL.
            It's only been a few years of applying to MDA. Now that we can apply of everything in category it's like shooting a shotgun.
            Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

We hauled in 5 gal. water containers, and refilled them at the headquarters, if that helps.

Comment

Hogkiller, my buddy and I got drawn for the November Black Gap Archery Hunt. It should be a good time regardless of how hard the hunt will be. I think the biggest factor will be whether or not the rains come like they are supposed to this fall/winter. If so, it'll make hunting over the guzzlers not near as effective, plus the deer will be spread out all over the area. I'll be looking forward to other reply's on this thread. Goodluck and hopefully we can talk some before our hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                  We hauled in 5 gal. water containers, and refilled them at the headquarters, if that helps.
                  That helps. Was planning to haul in 40 gallons for the 3 of us.

3 ppl on hunt. Possibly 1 truck and U Haul trailer for gear.
                  we can take 2 trucks and pull 4 wheeler. Seems like we will be spread out.
                  Bring Walkie Talkies- yes.

Comment

When is your hunt hog killer? Should be nice and green for you. Hoping you'll let us know how the hunt goes.

Comment

Thanks puncher. It's 20 - 24. Thinking going to be tough hunt. Looking forward to it.

Comment

I agree, it'll be tough. They won't have to travel far for water with all of the rain. Oh well, it'll be fun and an adventure regardless. Just go ahead and scout them all out for me, and tie a couple good ones down for me! Goodluck and I hope y'all see a ton of animals.

Comment

Any update hogkiller?? I talked to the guy who runs the WMA this morning and said there was 1 kill out of 3 hunters. Would love to hear how it went.

Comment

Working...
                          X