Traditional FSC - Week 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC - Week 8

The Winter Traditional Shoot and TBoT Ft. Worth shoot is next weekend. This week's FSC can be a little bit of a warm-up for that event. The Cowtown club puts on great shoots, btw! Hope to see lots of you there!

Target is simple: (picture below)
    plain 8-1/2"x11" paper laid sideways, with a 3-1/2" circle drawn about an inch from one side, with a one-inch circle drawn inside larger circle almost against the side of the larger circle nearest to the paper's edge.

Small circle worth 12 points, larger circle worth 10 points, on (or touching) the paper worth 5 points, off the paper NEGATIVE 2 points. (Btw, I used a quarter and a tuna can for circle sizes).

Challenge is to shoot 3 arrows to try and get the most points. Fun part is that you can shoot 3-arrow targets with up to FIVE different set-ups: (Post photo of each target group with bow that shot it -- so we can see everyone's bows!)

-- longbow, using wood or aluminum arrows
    -- longbow, using carbon arrows
    -- recurve, wood or aluminum
    -- recurve, carbon
    -- primitive (all wood) bow, wood arrows
    Only one target group (the first one) from each category.

Since everyone may not have all of these different combinations of equipment or the time to shoot multiple rounds, simply AVERAGE scores from all rounds for the final score.

All carbon arrow rounds will be shot from 15 yards; wood and aluminum shot from 12 yards.

You may shoot all rounds the same day or on multiple days as long as you begin a target round as the first shot of the day.

Tiebreaker will be total number of 12s, secondary tiebreaker, total 10s. Beyond that: I pick.

Example: say I shoot a "recurve, carbon" round with arrows scoring 5, 12, and -2: that's 15; say I have two other rounds with different bow/arrow combos of 20 and 25, then my Average Final score would be 20 (60 total points ÷ 3 rounds).

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tradtiger; 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM.

Very interesting. Thank you, sir!

Comment

Shouldn’t the wood arrows be by themselves, and aluminum and carbon be together???? At least that’s how it is in TBoT rules!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Oh THANK GOD !!!!

I thought you were going to call an "Iron Armadillo" shot, or something similar.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          Shouldn’t the wood arrows be by themselves, and aluminum and carbon be together???? At least that’s how it is in TBoT rules!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          OK, Jerry. Thanks. Didn't realize that; I was going off my recollection of IBO rules.
          Making an edit now, so people can get used to similar rules.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
            The Winter Traditional Shoot and TBoT Ft. Worth shoot is next weekend. This week's FSC can be a little bit of a warm-up for that event. The Cowtown club puts on great shoots, btw! Hope to see lots of you there!

Target is simple: (picture below)
            plain 8-1/2"x11" paper laid sideways, with a 3-1/2" circle drawn about an inch from one side, with a one-inch circle drawn inside larger circle almost against the side of the larger circle nearest to the paper's edge.

Small circle worth 12 points, larger circle worth 10 points, on (or touching) the paper worth 5 points, off the paper NEGATIVE 2 points. (Btw, I used a quarter and a tuna can for circle sizes).

Challenge is to shoot 3 arrows to try and get the most points. Fun part is that you can shoot 3-arrow targets with up to FIVE different set-ups: (Post photo of each target group with bow that shot it -- so we can see everyone's bows!)

-- longbow, using wood or aluminum arrows
            -- longbow, using carbon arrows
            -- recurve, wood or aluminum
            -- recurve, carbon
            -- primitive (all wood) bow, wood arrows
            Only one target group (the first one) from each category.

Since everyone may not have all of these different combinations of equipment or the time to shoot multiple rounds, simply AVERAGE scores from all rounds for the final score.

All carbon arrow rounds will be shot from 15 yards; wood and aluminum shot from 12 yards.

You may shoot all rounds the same day or on multiple days as long as you begin a target round as the first shot of the day.

Tiebreaker will be total number of 12s, secondary tiebreaker, total 10s. Beyond that: I pick.

Example: say I shoot a "recurve, carbon" round with arrows scoring 5, 12, and -2: that's 15; say I have two other rounds with different bow/arrow combos of 20 and 25, then my Average Final score would be 20 (60 total points ÷ 3 rounds).

EDIT: It has been pointed out that TBoT rules actually group aluminum arrows with carbon arrows, so we will match that grouping. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Guess I'll start.

Here's my brand new hickory longbow about 75# draw weight -- shooting carbon arrows -- and these are the first three shots out of it besides a couple half draw shots a week ago. Anyway, non-center shot seems to throw the arras a bit left: 15.

Next up, was more carbons out of the 70# recurve, 25.

Comment

You are getting some serious grove on with that old recurve.
                I'm truly happy it wound up in your hands.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                  You are getting some serious grove on with that old recurve.
                  I'm truly happy it wound up in your hands.

Rick
                  Thanks, Rick. Try to live up to the equipment if possible. What vintage is that Jay Weathers bow, anyway?

Comment

What vintage is that Jay Weathers bow, anyway?
                    That riser, and the lower draw weight limbs are late *80's.
                    The heavy (modified set of limbs) are early *90's.

You would have slobbered on yourself over the late 90's riser.
                    It was beautiful. Simi poor design in the way the block was layered, but beautiful, and I don't think it would have ever broke except I loaned it to a guy who was shooting sub 400gr arrows from it.
                    That's not good for 70 plus pound draw weight.

Wish I had known. I would have taken the bow away from him before the inevitable happened.

Rick

Comment

This looked like a simple one so I thought I would give it a try...

1. Recurve carbon - 15
                      2. Recurve wood - 25
                      3. Longbow carbon - 15
                      4. Longbow wood - 27

Average - 20.5

I'm shooting a Sarrels Bobcat and Blueridge off the same riser.

Not sure if I'm better with the woodies or the 3 yards makes that much of a difference.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Comment

Alright, CBC! Nice shooting, especially with the woods! And Bob sure does make great-looking bows!

Comment

Alright, CBC! Nice shooting, especially with the woods! And Bob sure does make great-looking bows!
                          Thanks! Forgot to give credit to Jeffro for the wood arrows...that's probably why they shoot better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Comment

Spoiler alert: wide open for y'all!
                            Went out a little while ago and shot my newly made wood arrows while it was only drizzling (just beat a heavy batch, though).

Shot longbow first (the one that was supposed to be 75#@28", but turned out to be 90#@28"): 1st shot left, 2nd just off right, 3rd shot just out of 10. Total 8.

Shot 70# Weathers recurve next: About a 3"-group up a little. Total 15.

Next, shot longbow again, declaring this the "primitive/selfbow" round, since it's all wood (hickory, from Ringing Rocks, btw). 1st shot left, 2nd shot low middle, 3rd shot solid 10. Total 20.

So, carbon arrow totals of 15, 25, plus wood round totals of 8, 15, and 20 equals a Grand Total of 83, yielding a Round Average of 16.6

Pics below (forgot to put bows by target for wood rounds, but they're the same as pictured in the carbon round pics above).

Btw, the blue and gold color cresting on those arrows reflects the school colors of the Univ. of Neb. at Kearney Lopers, where my son is a pitcher.

Comment

Dude it's wet, it's cold and I'm so sweet I will melt if I go out there. So I'll shoot this before Saturday. But not today.

Comment

Working...
                              X