Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heartbreak, and Redemption, in the Brush (Shot Videos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heartbreak, and Redemption, in the Brush (Shot Videos)

If you're not following Michael's Killin' Tree thread, you've likely missed this gem. I wanted to share the videos separately and give thanks to the Middletons for inviting me along.

Michael, his brother Martin and I closed out the hunt on their family ranch as this was the last hunting weekend before it is scheduled to be sold. The three of us hunted hard, but, I was the only one that had any real sightings or success. I would give anything for these deer to have appeared in front of either of those guys instead of me, but it just didn't play out that way.

First, on Saturday afternoon, this buck came in twice, finally offering me a shot. I took full advantage of the opportunity to sail one over his back. Watch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ifinhORJEg"]Encinal Texas Bowhunting Miss!!! - YouTube[/ame]

You don't get opportunities at a deer like that very often, especially on unmanaged, south Texas property. I was really hoping to have another shot.

I offered the stand to Michael and Martin and, as suspected, neither would have anyone other than me pursue that buck. I can't tell you how much I respect these guys for how they treat people.

Back in that same blind Sunday morning, and this little trick or treater came calling. I was not going to be high on this one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy7fBwv429Q&t"]Encinal Redemption Buck (Cape Donor) - Heart Shot - YouTube[/ame]

I found the arrow a few yards down the trail where the buck retreated. With only a few inches of penetration, I was nervous we had our work cut out for us. A scant blood trail sent Michael in the general direction the buck took and he looked ahead into the clearing to find the buck dead next to a prickly pear cactus. He made it no more than 50 yards. Honestly, I was elated.

The big buck failed to show during either hunt Sunday. While I'm good with that, I'm still a bit aggravated at my inability to close the deal.

I can't thank Michael and Martin enough for letting me hunt with them. This hunt and the one from two weeks ago will remain favorites of mine for as long as I bowhunt. The ranch put up an incredible fight as the deer refused to cooperate. However, Michael and Martin and the rest of the Middleton Clan have lifetimes of memories of this wonderful ranch. I'm undeserving, and blessed, to have been given the opportunity to watch the sun rise and set on that brush from a deer blind.

We enjoyed having you there! Congrats on the backup buck!
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
      I took full advantage of the opportunity to sail one over his back. [/B]
      You dummy!!!

...but congratulations on the cull, kill, harvest or taking of the follow-up buck! Nice shot!

Comment

Wait to not blow it twice there, B team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Atta boy rook!!

Comment

Well, if you gotta miss one, may as well be a Big One!

Nice Donor buck, he looked like a fighter. Congrats on the memories.

Comment

It hurts for sure. I'm sure I'm the only that's ever done it.

If you watch the Redemption Buck video, and pay attention to the upper left corner after the shot, you can see the buck go down through the brush. I did not realize that's what was happening until I rewatched the video today. That's where we found him but we had to trail him a bit on a sparse blood trail. Crazy I just noticed that.

Comment

Glad you got some redemption Casey but that first buck is going to sting for a while....don't ask me how I know!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                  It hurts for sure. I'm sure I'm the only that's ever done it.

If you watch the Redemption Buck video, and pay attention to the upper left corner after the shot, you can see the buck go down through the brush. I did not realize that's what was happening until I rewatched the video today. That's where we found him but we had to trail him a bit on a sparse blood trail. Crazy I just noticed that.

Good job on the redemption and cape donor. I noticed that in the video. Just couldn't tell if he went down right there.

>E

Comment

Casey, it's been a long time since we've hunted togetgher, but its always a pleasure, and this one was no exception! Thanks for a video of a beautiful buck that we'd have otherwise never seen. Thanks so very much for the cape donation! He's heading to the taxidermist tomorrow.

Comment

Congrats Casey, Glad you guys had a great time.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Pity about the miss,

I enjoyed both videos,

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                          X