Trinity River Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trinity River Redemption

After a long break from being able to bow hunt (due to multiple complications) I'd been struggling to draw blood with the trusty Mathews. Last night, my luck changed in a big way.

I hesitated with stand selection because of a north wind blowing over a south wind set up. I ignored it and relied on proper scent control since this was the only setup I have with solar lighting.

Fast forward to approximately 6:45 pm and I can hear footsteps. Suddenly, a group of hogs was under the feeder. They seemed very comfortable so I snapped a couple of pics.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350653488.762397.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	24929876
    Having let them settle in, I picked out a nice 60 lb. smoker sized pig and launched a Beaman down range. The hit looked good as they took off for the creek. Finally!!!! I had drawn blood.

A few texts and phone calls later and I'm down looking for a blood trail.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350654079.288231.jpg
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	24929878

After following heavy blood for about twenty yards, I can hear a heavy growl ahead. Yikes!!! I'm not prepared for that and I'm not sure I have the huevos to confront a wounded hog if I were. So, I head back to the stand knowing I had one dead hog for the freezer.

Having just settled back in my seat, I heard a distant squeal. Ten seconds later and more squeals that seem much closer. I nock another Beaman and prepare for a quick shot if they should appear. More footsteps and they are under my solar lites and are comfortable. I pick out the biggest one turned broadside and send another Beaman his way.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350654378.821691.jpg
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	24929880
    The shot looked just a tad back of where I wanted but was a clean pass thru and what I figured was another dead hog.

Having talked to Richard (elliscountyhog) after shooting the first hog, he had gathered the troops (cousin and dog Batman) to lend a hand with tracking. It took Batman about 5 minutes to locate the first hog. After dragging her out, Batman was set out on the trail of the second and MUCH larger boar hog. Again, it took Batman about 5 minutes to locate this big fella. Only one problem, this guy wasn't in the mood to play. Batman used his best judgement. He tucked his tail and came running back to daddy. He was having no part of a wounded hog either. Having only one dog, we chose to let the big fella win this battle. Hopefully, I'll find him expired later today.

It was a fun night and a heck of a way to get redemption for all the deer corn these hogs have consumed. The weight of 1000 monkies has been lifted.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350655246.885258.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	24929881

congrads

Comment

cool. KAP

Comment

Great job FND! It must of cooled off up there huh, you had to bring out the long pants!!!
        Last edited by Coullion; 10-19-2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Congrats Jeff. Glad you sealed the deal.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Way to go!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Good job!

Comment

nice !!! way to go Jeff!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats Jeff. Glad to that you are fired up on the sticking, and backed off on the slacking!!!

Comment

Way to go. Good luck finding that big one

Comment

Congrats Jeff! The only way to hold the monkeys back, is to KAP.

Comment

Working...
                              X