Deer Vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Vision

I've been told that deer see in black and white. I've been doing a little reading and learned a few things. I think i'm going to take some black and white photo's in camo, in the tripods, in the coming months and see what blends in the best. Thought this was an interesting depiction.

Ever been “out-eyed” by a buck you were sure couldn’t see you? Maybe you failed to take into account how exactly deer eyesight works. To better mentally equip yourself for deer season this year, check out this infographic on how deer eyesight works. Perhaps it’ll lead you to a trophy-room addition this fall. To learn …

Deer dont see in black and white only.

Comment

Whitetails can distinguish blue from red, but not green from red or orange from red. Research also suggests deer distinguish light grays and tans better than dark reds, browns and greens.

interesting article about this.

Comment

I've read a lot of books and papers about whitetail deer and their sensory acuity. Based on my readings, as well as my experience in the field, I believe that deer do have poor visual acuity, but what they excel in is in picking up motion. Motion seems to draw their attention very quickly. Came is camo, I don't think the type or brand of camo, nor the different camo patterns seem to matter to the deer. Heck, I've worn 3 or 4 different camo patterns at the same time (hat, shirt, pants, and boots), and the deer didn't seem concerned. Red and orange doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest, nor does green light (I've never tried red light). I've read works from several different game biologists that indicate the color blue is the one color that seems to get the deer's attention. As a result, I quit wearing blue jeans into the field anymore unless I'm sure I'm going to be sitting in an enclosed blind. In fact, I won't even wear blue jeans under my leafy suit anymore.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Deer must have good vision I've never seen one wearing glasses

Comment

What deer can see..

The OP made me think of this thread.
            Took me a bit to find it

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Predator spring green in black and white. Last pic Mossy Oak spring green.
              Attached Files

Comment

If it blends in to your color vision, it will blend in to their vision if they do indeed see in black and white. Don't over think it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Everyone is incorrect. Deer see in 3D.

Comment

just think about this: when you were a kid what did your grandpa wear in the deer woods?

Comment

Camo isn’t all that important, movement is what will get you busted.

Remember, grandpa (Fred Bear) did it in a flannel shirt.

Comment

Working...
                      X