No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't be surprised that the license fees fund the heli hunts...

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
      Ditto, I swear I was typing when you were LOL
      Great minds think alike. Maybe we can talk to someone about this? Send some e-mails, write some letters. The only reason I purshased my permit is too hunt hogs out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
        Great minds think alike. Maybe we can talk to someone about this? Send some e-mails, write some letters. The only reason I purshased my permit is too hunt hogs out there.
        That is the only reason I buy a license also. But I dont think our pocket books are deep enough to get any changes put into place. I believe that they manage it the way they do to appease the "Special Interest" people that have deep pockets, landowners that have property to hunt and dont have to rely on public land to hunt.

Comment

I managed to get my first Granger hog last Sunday morning (1/24/2010) and just in time before the helicopter massacre! It was a great feeling to finally drag a hog out of there. It's been a long journey, but a great one. I’d had other shot opportunities in the past, but those were with a recurve bow and in the waning evening light hours. I did not want to track a hog by myself out there in the dark. I've since gone to a compound bow.

Here’s the story. I got to my area before light. The wind was howling and I quickly talked myself out of sitting under a big creaking dead tree. By this time it was getting light and I found another spot along some hog trails hoping to catch some hogs coming in from a night out. No movement. I figured by this time, the hogs were probably settling in for the day, so I trekked into the thick stuff looking for them. I got to an area that began to open up and heard a “huff” and I froze. On the other side of some brush was a group of three adults and about 12 little ones. One by one, they settled back down and went to sleep. I did not have a shot and would have to move about twenty yards through dry leaves to have a chance. This would bring me upwind too, but it was my only shot. Each time a gust came, I’d take a small side-step to my destination. Every now and then an ear would perk up and I’d freeze, but with time, I was getting close to my clear shot. As I was two steps from my spot, the hogs caught my scent. One left down a trail and headed directly away. I took my final two steps and another hog headed down the same trail, but paused, quartering hard away. I tend to wait for the perfect shot and for all the stars to align, etc, but I just couldn’t do that here. This was my only opportunity. I aimed a little back from the shoulder and let the arrow fly the 25 yards to the hog. I hit my mark, but did not get full penetration. I watched my hog do a circle, then run off with the rest of them. I listened and waited. Thirty long minutes later, I began my search. I found the arrow with about 4 inches of bubbly blood on it. There was no blood on the ground expect where the arrow lay. I tried in vain to find a blood trail, so I searched in a grid pattern through the brush. I was worried that I would not find my hog, but kept to my grid. Finally, after almost two hours of sticking to my grid, I found my hog laying dead. She had only gone about 100 yards, but in the thick brush, I felt really relieved to have found her. I caught one lung and may have gotten an artery, because her chest cavity was full of blood. I tried to back track her blood trail, but it just wasn’t there. As I was dragging her the ½ mile back to my canoe, I came across three hunters, quietly said hello to the closest one, and left them to their hunt. She weighed 60 pounds field dressed and was healing from what looked like an arrow wound to her left foot knuckle.

thanks for reading!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by surfin Pete View Post
            I managed to get my first Granger hog last Sunday morning (1/24/2010) and just in time before the helicopter massacre! It was a great feeling to finally drag a hog out of there. It's been a long journey, but a great one. I’d had other shot opportunities in the past, but those were with a recurve bow and in the waning evening light hours. I did not want to track a hog by myself out there in the dark. I've since gone to a compound bow.

Here’s the story. I got to my area before light. The wind was howling and I quickly talked myself out of sitting under a big creaking dead tree. By this time it was getting light and I found another spot along some hog trails hoping to catch some hogs coming in from a night out. No movement. I figured by this time, the hogs were probably settling in for the day, so I trekked into the thick stuff looking for them. I got to an area that began to open up and heard a “huff” and I froze. On the other side of some brush was a group of three adults and about 12 little ones. One by one, they settled back down and went to sleep. I did not have a shot and would have to move about twenty yards through dry leaves to have a chance. This would bring me upwind too, but it was my only shot. Each time a gust came, I’d take a small side-step to my destination. Every now and then an ear would perk up and I’d freeze, but with time, I was getting close to my clear shot. As I was two steps from my spot, the hogs caught my scent. One left down a trail and headed directly away. I took my final two steps and another hog headed down the same trail, but paused, quartering hard away. I tend to wait for the perfect shot and for all the stars to align, etc, but I just couldn’t do that here. This was my only opportunity. I aimed a little back from the shoulder and let the arrow fly the 25 yards to the hog. I hit my mark, but did not get full penetration. I watched my hog do a circle, then run off with the rest of them. I listened and waited. Thirty long minutes later, I began my search. I found the arrow with about 4 inches of bubbly blood on it. There was no blood on the ground expect where the arrow lay. I tried in vain to find a blood trail, so I searched in a grid pattern through the brush. I was worried that I would not find my hog, but kept to my grid. Finally, after almost two hours of sticking to my grid, I found my hog laying dead. She had only gone about 100 yards, but in the thick brush, I felt really relieved to have found her. I caught one lung and may have gotten an artery, because her chest cavity was full of blood. I tried to back track her blood trail, but it just wasn’t there. As I was dragging her the ½ mile back to my canoe, I came across three hunters, quietly said hello to the closest one, and left them to their hunt. She weighed 60 pounds field dressed and was healing from what looked like an arrow wound to her left foot knuckle.

thanks for reading!
            Congrats!!!

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
              The hunting is not the same after the Heli-Hunt takes place. They took 28 below the dam last year and 24 up river. Really sucks that they do it, I understand why its needed but it sucks from a hunting stand point. I ran one down last year that was shot and didnt die, man did he stink and was he mean.
              I agree. I think they should at least tell you somewhere (maybe they do) that this takes place. Last year I bought the permit then a week later than came through blasting...I was ticked.

And yes a few litters will make them come back..but it does make it harder to hunt..at least for a while.

Comment

thanks for reading!
                Very Nice, if you dont mind me asking... What unit were you in, dont need specific location.

Comment

thanks for reading!
                  Way to go Man! You have had a great season on the granger wma.

Comment

Originally posted by apoc330 View Post
                    Very Nice, if you dont mind me asking... What unit were you in, dont need specific location.
                    I was in the San Gabriel arm of the lake.

Comment

I was in the San Gabriel arm of the lake.
                      Thanks, and congrats. i am jealous and cant wait to get back out after hte Heli hunts are done. i enjoy the challenge and my guess is the challenge is going to be even greater for a while after the Heli.

Comment

Way to go Man! You have had a great season on the granger wma.

Thanks! I've put in many hours of hog hunting out there and this is the first season I've brought anything home. I had quit hog hunting out there when I realized I could hunt deer at Somerville, but getting drawn for the deer hunt brought me back, and I had forgotten what I was missing. It's a beautiful place.

Comment

I plan to start hitting Granger a lot come March. If anyone lives in or near Leander and wants to partner up send me a PM.

Comment

Great job Surfin Pete! The first one is always the toughest. Now we expect you to stick one every time you go out there. lol

Comment

That would be the coolest job ever! If anybody knows anything about how those guys get that jog, please post. I often wondered if they where ex-military or something. I bet those guys wish they had a video cam. for that slaughter.
                              Well, being a military pilot myself I can tell you that the cheapest way to obtain your license is through the military. Also, to get a job like that you have to have some serious connections which indicates a lot of experience and probably at least some time spent in the military of some sort and most likely Army, especially in this area. You can be assured that they had a video camera of some sort on board for that hunt. I can almost guarantee it as I usually carry some sort of camera whenever I fly and I like to have my crewmembers video tape the cool stuff if they aren't gonna be too busy.

Comment

Hog chopper update

Johnny Cathey emailed this late last night if you guy's were wondering if they flew today.

Wildlife Services flew Granger today and took 97 feral hogs on the project and 16 on private land. This is by far the best harvest we have had since we started having them fly here. Due to the expected change in weather, they have taken the helicopter to Colorado County and will not be flying here at Granger anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X