No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was on the South side of Pecan Grove from about 3:30 till dark. Spooked up something in the brush that was pretty big, but couldn't get eyes on. Saw an armadillo and that was about it for this trip. Was a pretty day though. Enjoyed being out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Genevieve View Post
      Did you get any rain? its been pouring out here in Center Point. I hunted this morning on the side of a hill, I dragged some brush up to cover me a bit but I sat in the rain for about 2 hours, I'm just glad the front didnt come in this morning. I'm ok if its cold or wet but I can't do cold and wet. I saw a bunch of youngins and a doe that was about 1.5 I let her walk because there are much larger does out here but I should have shot her. She came hauling butt towards me last night and stopped at 30 yards (I'm rifle hunting)and I let her walk, then she stomped and snorted, did the same thing this morning. If she shows up tomorrow she's getting a dirt nap. The ranch rule is that you have to shoot the smart ones first.

How are y'all doing?
      I hunted until 9am. Had someone come up the river in a boat and ran so hogs my way ,but 70yds was as close as they got. I thought that after 200 yds they might stop but they didn't. On the way home I ran into some drizzle but that was it.

Comment

Genevieve did you give any dirt naps this weekend. Ranch rule the smart ones are the first to go. That is for sure.

Comment

not in Hemphill county!!

Comment

Originally posted by 05 gray ghost View Post
            Genevieve did you give any dirt naps this weekend. Ranch rule the smart ones are the first to go. That is for sure.
            I sure did! I shot a Fallow doe, a white tail nubbin buck (that was an oopsie) and a white tail doe. The fallow doe was at 40 yards with a 30 -30 (while cooking breakfast) and the 2 wt's were at 200 yards with a 25-06. I shot at a WT doe saturday morning and missed. I'm not sure what happened but I was on my belly trying not to slide down the hill so I think I shot under her. I'm also pretty sure I was laying in some kind of large animal poop Yes, I took 2 rifles (and my bow) I could have shot the fallow with my bow but I left it in my truck, DOH!

I'm trying to figure out how to get the cooler with 3 deer and ice out of the back of my truck. It might have to stay there a few days!

Now I need to shoot some hogs so I can mix it in and make sausage!

I was happy to get home and shower yesterday.
            Attached Files

Comment

I forgot I didnt take a pic of the nubbin I felt bad about it but it happens. I'm a terrible judge of distance and a range finder doesnt always help. Luckily my friend didnt care. There are so many deer running around out there it happens. He shot one 2 weeks ago that we thought was a doe. turned out to be a 2 yr old buck

The 2 other guys that were invited to the ranch sat in a dry blind while it rained and complained about that while I watched the rain run off my hat and down the hill. my friend and I decided that if we would have brought our rain gear it wouldnt have rained
              Last edited by Captrix; 12-27-2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Very nice job Genevieve. Great pics. Needing help with the cooler is a good problem to have, let me know if you need help with it.

Hats off to you for getting out there in the rain and cold. That can make the best of us rollover and go back to sleep.

Sunday before Christmas I was out at Granger and crawled up in a tree to hunt out of and well Sunday after Christmas I went to the Minor ER to get 2 shots for Poison Ivy that was everywhere except on my feet.

Live and learn.....I well pay more attention from now on. LOL

Comment

Very nice job Genevieve. Great pics. Needing help with the cooler is a good problem to have, let me know if you need help with it.

Hats off to you for getting out there in the rain and cold. That can make the best of us rollover and go back to sleep.

Sunday before Christmas I was out at Granger and crawled up in a tree to hunt out of and well Sunday after Christmas I went to the Minor ER to get 2 shots for Poison Ivy that was everywhere except on my feet.

Live and learn.....I well pay more attention from now on. LOL
                  Oh no! Get some stuff from walmart or walgreens called Tecnu and wash with it after you hunt. My mom gets poison ivy bad and she said it helps her. I believe its the only thing I'm not allergic to! If it makes you feel any better I had to get a steroid shot on Thursday because the cedar will kick my butt and make my eyes swell.

There isnt much that will stop me from hunting and it takes a lot to make me rifle hunt out of a blind. I really don't care to hunt out of a blind at all but some places you have to. The guys complaining about the blind really chapped my ***, especially after I sat in the rain (I would have even if they werent there). I guess I figure if I'm tough enough to sit on the side of a hill in the pouring rain they shouldnt be allowed to complain about sitting in a dry blind!

I went digging through my freezer this morning and realized that I still have about 10 pounds of axis meat from last year including 1 back strap and the tenderloins My friend that owns the ranch is coming over tomorrow to help me trim and bag the meat in the cooler. I plan on cooking up some Axis!

I guess I need to get out to Granger and shoot some hogs so I can have it to mix in and make sausage!
                  Last edited by Captrix; 12-28-2010, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Just came back on the site after bein' off it since around August or so..had some life changey kinda stuff come up, and now I'm settlin' back in to do some more huntin' @ Granger and thought I'd check in with everybody on my favorite thread = ) ...so how have y'all been the last few months? Hopefully well! I'll be looking forward to getting back out to Granger again after the 15th of this month and all the deer hunts are finally over. I enjoyed reading the past few months of posts and catching up...the comments about duck hunting got my interst up too, but that's another subject I suppose...I'm addicted to Granger Hog hunting and I'm just thrilled my wait is about over to get back in those woods! I had to wait out all the other hunting activity going on, lol - my style of hunting doesn't mix well with others in the area in their tree stands : / ...now it's MY turn again for some fun (and it's much cooler now than it was back in August when I got my last pig outta there..so, YAY)...

Comment

Hunted Sore Finger and Pecan Grove today. No sign and no piggies at Sore Finger, got there around 1. Moved over to Pecan Grove, south side, got there around 4, and hunted until end of legal hours. Lots of fresh sign (< 4 days old), but the clouds had cleared out by then, and no swine were moving. Amazing how we can have a deep freeze just a couple of days ago, and the mosquitos are already back.

Comment

well im back from my 2 weeks off and back to austin. how was everyones xmas and new years?

im still waiting for granger to open back up on the 7th so i can stick some piggies, but i had a good couple weeks off and got to take care of my withdrawal symptoms by shooting a couple ducks and a pair of javalinas. im still looking for my first pig though. comeon jan 7th 12:00pm!!!! lol cant wait to get out there again. had to chop the picture of the javalinas on the tailgate in half to fit. lol
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice pics VIPER. I have been off line since 12-28-2010, boy do I have some catching up to do. I haven't hunted since before XMas. I had to get another shot for my Pioson Ivy and the DR said that it will take about 1 more week for it to be gone. It was the worst I have ever had. I might try to go out this weekend, but not sure how it will work with having a lot of heavy clothes on.

Idaho glad everthing worked out for you.

Comment

Nice pics VIPER. I have been off line since 12-28-2010, boy do I have some catching up to do. I haven't hunted since before XMas. I had to get another shot for my Pioson Ivy and the DR said that it will take about 1 more week for it to be gone. It was the worst I have ever had. I might try to go out this weekend, but not sure how it will work with having a lot of heavy clothes on.

Idaho glad everthing worked out for you.
                            I hope you get to feeling better! Get some technu to wash with after your hunts.

Comment

gonna try out my new boat motor sunday,its gonna be a real redneck day

Comment

note to self dont go hunting at granger on sunday

Comment

Working...
                                X