• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They got us in a big fight that lead back to the lodge

Comment

Found out they don’t like people from Texas in their bar

Comment

Is this a fully guided hunt? If so I recommend upgrading your clothes. Get a good base and then light layers. I would also recommend some outerwear with a wind shield in it. Rutting Kansas are highly responsive to calls and a decoy. I wont go to the field without.... then practice practice practice so that your shot is on the money when that booner walks by.

If it is not shoot me a PM and Ill run through the basics of picking stand locations and a few other think you may want to know. Ive been going there for 10 years and we hunt a lot of WIHA as well as a couple of pieces of private ground.

Comment

Y not go to the bar?

Comment

I have been here since Sat the 16th. Temps have ranged from low 30s to today mid 60s.
            All the above advice is good. If you hunt in timber pay attention to the squirrels. They tend to tell you when deer are around by barking
            Be prepared for all day sits, it does pay off. Like they above, body size and rack size will fool you.
            Good Luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Bowanta; 11-19-2019, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CKolar View Post
              Is this a fully guided hunt? If so I recommend upgrading your clothes. Get a good base and then light layers. I would also recommend some outerwear with a wind shield in it. Rutting Kansas are highly responsive to calls and a decoy. I wont go to the field without.... then practice practice practice so that your shot is on the money when that booner walks by.

If it is not shoot me a PM and Ill run through the basics of picking stand locations and a few other think you may want to know. Ive been going there for 10 years and we hunt a lot of WIHA as well as a couple of pieces of private ground.
              It is semi guided, all inclusive 5 day. They have stands set up already. I am looking for the best clothes. Thinking about Lacrosse AlphaBurly boots But will listen to experience! Feet are my biggest concern,lol!

Comment

Originally posted by cwashby View Post
                Feet are my biggest concern,lol!
                Best thing I did was good insulated boots and layer my socks just like my upper body. I would wear regular socks walking to the stand. Most of the time, I had a half mile or better walk in. Once I got to my stand, take those socks off and put on a liner sock, then a wool sock. That would take care of me all day, unless it dropped in the 20's with a 40 mph wind all day long. Then I would climb down to go pee and walk around just enough to warm back up. You probably won't see that kind of weather unless you go late Nov.

Comment

Originally posted by cwashby View Post
                  It is semi guided, all inclusive 5 day. They have stands set up already. I am looking for the best clothes. Thinking about Lacrosse AlphaBurly boots But will listen to experience! Feet are my biggest concern,lol!
                  I get cold feet pretty easy and had no problem with 400g Thinsulate Gortex lined boots getting to and from the blind. Once in the stand I slipped on a pair of boot blankets and added a small hand warmer if needed on the coldest of days. Literally forgot about the possibility of my feet getting cold. My feet sweat in heavy rubber boots enough I wouldn't make it the second hour. Had a few in our group with 1600g boots that had issues.

Comment

All good info. Thanks!

Comment

Just got back from Kansas last night, didn't get any giants in range but could of shot 6's and 8's every day. Everybody is right on their comments, I would add get some of those Heat Packs for your hands. Last year was freezing this time of year and I was using four of them a day. This year was very mild and I didn't even buy any so you never know. As far as boots I got the Lacrosse AlphaBurly 1600G this year and was very happy with them but again it was mild. The other thing was get ready to grunt with your mouth to stop your buck where you want him to stop, and make sure he hear's you, more then once I didn't grunt load enough and he passed right through my shooting lane. Good Luck next year.

Comment

Bassdeer, Thanks for the info!

Comment

I would have went the week or two before that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your dates are good, anytime between the 12th and the 30th is good. Only problem you might have is if a buck is hot on a doe he may blast right by you, happen to me twice last week but I have had them follow slow 20 yards behind the doe if that happens most likely he is dead.

Comment

If you have problems with cold feet get the arctic shield boot covers. Was 20 degrees a couple mornings and due to the walk was only wearing light hiking boots. Put those on with a handwarmer in each and never got even remotely cold.

Comment

Originally posted by hardcore247 View Post
                                If you have problems with cold feet get the arctic shield boot covers. Was 20 degrees a couple mornings and due to the walk was only wearing light hiking boots. Put those on with a handwarmer in each and never got even remotely cold.
                                Thanks for that, will look into them.

Comment

Working...
                                X