2nd battery for UTV lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd battery for UTV lighting

I purchased a small light bar for my Kawasaki Mule 610. Is it necessary to run it off of a second UTV battery? Would it be best to have it hooked up to a second battery?

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
    I purchased a small light bar for my Kawasaki Mule 610. Is it necessary to run it off of a second UTV battery? Would it be best to have it hooked up to a second battery?

If it’s an led lightbar I wouldn’t sweat it, should be a low draw item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      If it’s an led lightbar I wouldn’t sweat it, should be a low draw item.

Thanks Dave!!

Comment

I'm running 4 led light bars off my original factory battery on my 2014 ranger. 1-22" & 3-8". I typically run the front and side lights together when scouting for pigs. If I have a long night of use, I make sure to run around for a minute with only the front light on.

Comment

I added a second battery in my Mule Pro for all accessories mainly so I can operate them with the Mule not running for an extended period such as skinning a deer, playing the stereo, etc. I used a battery isolator so it disconnects from factory battery while not running and recharges while it is. Never have worry about running down the starting battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhica View Post
            I'm running 4 led light bars off my original factory battery on my 2014 ranger. 1-22" & 3-8". I typically run the front and side lights together when scouting for pigs. If I have a long night of use, I make sure to run around for a minute with only the front light on.
            That is good to know. My setup will be very basic.....one light bar. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by DEG View Post
              I added a second battery in my Mule Pro for all accessories mainly so I can operate them with the Mule not running for an extended period such as skinning a deer, playing the stereo, etc. I used a battery isolator so it disconnects from factory battery while not running and recharges while it is. Never have worry about running down the starting battery.
              That is a great setup!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DEG View Post

An isolator is a must if you choose to hook up a 2nd battery. Especially if you’re running a radio.

Comment

I planned on running an isolator and the extra battery but I ran it for a trip or two and it did fine. So I figured I would install the second battery for when I got a speaker set up. I don’t think that will happen anytime soon.

My set up.

Top lights

Top at night

Back up light

Comment

I am running a light bar and two spots on my Kawasaki Mule and if I turn the motor off it will drain the battery in 5 minutes. I don't have any problems with when he engine is running.

Comment

My stock headlights pull much more than my 7” lightbar on my Polaris Sportsman.

I wouldn’t worry about another battery.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I will connect it to my main battery.

Comment

The only thing a second battery will do is increase the shine time, if the motor isn't running (and alternator not charging).

If you add an isolator, and second battery, like Skloss mentioned, you'd hook up all your accessories to the second battery. You could essentially run it dead, with the motor off, and then still be able to start the UTV with the primary battery.

Comment

I have a 42” onthe front and a 12” on the back and have no issues with those and my stock lights on my ranger.

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
                              An isolator is a must if you choose to hook up a 2nd battery. Especially if you’re running a radio.

Which battery isolator do you recommend? My sons added an amp to push a woofer that I'm afraid is going to cause me issues with just 1 battery and and 3 LED's.

Comment

Working...
                              X