New bow break in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bow break in

What are your methods for breaking in a new bow? So far I have only shot my bow at 20yards (shooting in backyard) and have probably put about 150 arrows through it. My shop mentioned that after 200+ arrows to bring it back in and get it retuned after the cables stretch. I’m shooting a 31.5 Mathews VXR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s really more string stretch, and rechecking tuning and readjusting to the string stretch if needed. adjusting your peep to string twist. Check all adjustments for being tight, all need to be checked after string stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
      It’s really more string stretch, and rechecking tuning and readjusting to the string stretch if needed. adjusting your peep to string twist. Check all adjustments for being tight, all need to be checked after string stretch.

^^^^^
      This

I’m not sure about Mathews OE
      string quality. I’m assuming that it’s good. I would watch your shot results and watch peep rotation. Those should help indicate when to retune. I’ve had strings settle in less than 10-50 shots, which is good to me.

Comment

That sounds like a good idea. I always shoot new strings in before making and fine adjustments, it usually doesn’t take more than a couple of dozen arrows for everything to settle home. I also wait to tie my peep in until put a few arrows through on a new set.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Enjoy it, and have fun.

Comment

I would listen to the shop recommendations and enjoy.

Comment

On a new string/cables (regardless of brand) I shoot 100 arrows before I ever begin sighting. Taking to the shop on a new bow would be a good practice for final set-up tweaking.

Comment

It's only broken in when it let's the air out of something....hog, deer, varmint, etc.

Comment

To attach to this.. On the peep sight. How many prefer the centering cord (whatever it is called) to no centering? Having new strings installed now and the bow shop said that the new strings do not have this on their strings.

Comment

I always start with a paper tuning then adjust sights.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        To attach to this.. On the peep sight. How many prefer the centering cord (whatever it is called) to no centering? Having new strings installed now and the bow shop said that the new strings do not have this on their strings.

He’s telling you the truth. New strings don’t need the old rubber tubes like they did.

Comment

Never had to break in a new bow, now string may stretch some and probably why bow staff wants to recheck everything for a price that is.

Comment

New bow break in

Took my new rig in yesterday after a few hundred shots. Peep was turning a bit and I wanted the timing checked. The string had stretched 3/16’’. The stretch changed the poundage and timing. Had my shop retune and adjust the bow and I can tell a big difference. Shoots quieter and more dead in the hand. All new strings will stretch so have your shop double check when you start to see or feel changes. No charge from the shop. Thank you, Gateway Archery.

Last edited by rdstrong3; 05-14-2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Is there a magic number for the break in period? 40-50?

Comment

Working...
                              X