• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep in bryan I'm down for the hunt!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fthoodtanker View Post
      Same boat buddy. Haven’t turkey hunted since I’ve been in Texas. So since 2002

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Check out Ft hood if your close. Have killed several out there

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
        Check out Ft hood if your close. Have killed several out there
        How does ft hood hunting work? I'm in the area frequently and that would be super convenient

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
          How does ft hood hunting work? I'm in the area frequently and that would be super convenient

I am curious also, I am not to far. Does being a vet help making it easier to be able to hunt out there?

Comment

From what I have read you just need hunters Ed. Pay your money and attend orientation plus complete an archery competency test for bow hunting

Comment

Originally posted by NeKro View Post
              I am curious also, I am not to far. Does being a vet help making it easier to be able to hunt out there?
              Veterinarians don't get much help from the base staff, but Veterans get a substantial discount off the hunting permit.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post

It’s been about 5 years since I’ve hunted out there but for civilians it was 100 bucks for license plus a 10 dollar area access card. You have to go out there and register your weapon on base. If you intend to use archery equipment you have to “qualify.” It’s pretty simple, if I remember right you hade to hit a paper plate size target 3 times at 20 yards. Now to hunt t can be a pain at times esp getting into the good areas. You have to calll area access and try to log into your area. Certain Areas allow so many hunters and that number varies depending on the area. At times areas Are closed due to training also. If You are interested go up to the sportsman’s club. A bunch of ft good lifers hang out up there regularly and usually don’t mind helping out ft hood newbies. It can be a pain to hunt there but My buddy’s and I where pretty successful out there, killed my biggest ever on hood.

Comment

The reason turkey hunts in Texas have gotten so expensive is all of the out of state hunters who are willing to spend the big bucks to kill one here. I was a guest at the Mariposa Ranch a few years ago, and 90% of the turkey hunters were from out of state, paying crazy money to hunt there. The ranch manager told me that it was that way all season long. It just is what it is, nothing you can do about it. BTW, I'd never go back there. After I killed a turkey, I told the ranch manager that I'd like to bowhunt for nilgai. The first words out of his mouth were, "you do understand that, if you kill one, you'll have to pay for it." I told him that, yes, I'm familiar with the capitalist system, and I fully expect to have to pay for my activities.
                  Last edited by ultrastealth; 01-22-2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Some useful info on this thread for those looking for ft hood info.

Comment

Good Morning,
                      GQ cowboy Here,

Heading out to Bushy Hill Ranch to Turkey hunt.
                      First time there looking forward to it. Opening season is booked.

Anyone heading that way ?

Comment

Originally posted by GQCowboy View Post
                        Good Morning,
                        GQ cowboy Here,

Heading out to Bushy Hill Ranch to Turkey hunt.
                        First time there looking forward to it. Opening season is booked.

Anyone heading that way ?

Look forward to hearing a report. I’ve been contemplating booking a couple of days there myself.

Comment

Lots of public land birds north of Texas if you're willing to drive a bit.
                          Nebraska is covered in them, access is not too hard to find and public land birds are there too.
                          Wyoming has good turkey hunting but it's not quite spring yet up here.

Comment

If anyone interested in turkey hunt. I.had to cancel my hunts due to pandemic. Have guy that charges $350, no food, lodging in mountain home. Intou.want to take that route hmu and I'll give you his info.
                            I'm not getting anything from him just want to help fellow turkey hunters

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X