Best caliber for an AR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best caliber for an AR?

I have been toying with the idea of getting an AR again but I dont think I want another .223 or 5.56

I was thinking an AR in 7.62 might be the way to go? Anyone have one? Be better for hunting,etc. more knockdown power and still fun to shoot.

I have seen some on the market but they might be hard to find right now.

Rick

I'd go with a 300blk first.

Comment

Comment

If you want to stay on the AR-15 platform I would suggest either the 6.8 spc or 6.5 grendel

Comment

AR-10s suck IMO. Too heavy, too little capacity, and a lot slower follow up shots. I’d stick with 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC depending on usage if you’re ruling 556 out.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            AR-10s suck IMO. Too heavy, too little capacity, and a lot slower follow up shots. I’d stick with 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC depending on usage if you’re ruling 556 out.
            Ar-10's have their purpose. I like mine for long range shots.

I love my 223's also. Almost always hunt with a 223 versus my 270.

Comment

Start out with a 5.56 and then get a .450 bushmaster upper.

Comment

Had a 7.62 ar. Sold it and built a 6.5 grendel. Lot better round and you can find wolf cheep ammo as low as 30cpr. With ammo almost the same price as 7.62 it was an easy choice. Btw i sold a 6.8 ar because the cheepist plinking ammo is about 70cpr

Comment

I have a few calibers including 6.8 and 458 socom, had .223 and 300bo recently as well but my favorite is still the .224 Valkyrie. It is under rated in my opinion and deadly on hogs and deer size game. Also it is great from 20 yards to 500 yards. Might want to check it out. Uses 6.8 mags so I already had some so made it easy for me to try.

Comment

6.5 Grendel Low recoil, but hits with authority.

Comment

If you want more versatility I’d go 6.5 Grendel
                      If more short range / self defense 300blk

However, at this moment I would highly suggest doing a search for ammo when making my decision
                      300blk is nowhere to be found and the guns aren’t easy to find either
                      Plenty of 6.5grendel And in bulk and it’s economical
                      6.8 would be awesome but I don’t know what the ammo situation is, I haven’t looked

I wanted another ar in 300blk
                      Searched around and based on the situation with availability of both guns and ammo I just decided to go with .556

If/when ammo comes available I’ll just buy an upper in 300 or grendel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Really happy with my Bison Armory 6.8spc upper, it's a killer for anything normal range. I sold my AR10 in 308, it was nice but too heavy. I got a few boxes of SSA 6.8spc Accubond ammo I'm looking forward to trying but the Fusion MSR works well in it too.

Comment

Grendel hands down

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Lots of good info thx guys i got some research to do! Lol

Rick

Comment

I’m fond of the grendel in the ar platform. 300 blk is nice but lacks the range then grendel can achieve

Comment

Working...
                              X