Might have bought wrong ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might have bought wrong ammo

I have a AR in .223 caliber and the barrel says .223 on it. Was not thinking about it and bought some steel case 5.56 ammo. Can this be shot out of the same gun? I always put 223 and 5.56 together as same caliber but want to make sure first.

Thanks

What does your owners manual say? Whoever manufactured the gun should know.

Im sure you will get conflicting answers here on this one.

Comment

556 runs at higher pressure than the standard .223 but in the AR platform it isn't an issue typically.
      There aren't too many .223's out there that won't handle a .556 but there are a few cheaper guns that are not recommended.

Comment

"Probably" going to be fine, BUT 5.56 is not supposed to be run through a 223. As RattlesnakeDan stated it is a higher pressure load. If you barrel is a 223 Wylde then you're good to go. 223 Wylde is designed as a in-between chamber. It is designed to work with both. I would try and find someone with 223 ammo that would trade. "Probably" isn't really good enough to risk the gun and your safety. Just my 2.

Comment

If you run steel through it make sure it is the zinc coated and not the lacquer it will gum up in the chamber after it gets hot and a pain in the butt to get out.

Comment

You can read this quick if you like, it is good info that will make you more educated on the differences than 99% of the people out there that will give advice including myself.

Comment

Does the barrel say 223 Wylde or 223 Rem? If it says 223 Wylde then 556 is just fine. If it says 223 Rem then don’t run it.

I’d put money on it being a Wylde.

Comment

Thanks RattlesnakeDan for the article. Good read and I learned a few new things. To help out the OP here is a quote from the article.
                ".223 Remington – Because it’s the only SAAMI standardized cartridge, it’s the only one you’re likely to find used in rifles produced by major manufacturers. I would prefer any of the other three to “regular .223.” However, you will not be at a huge disadvantage as long as you buy mostly .223 ammo. As stated above, you are not likely to encounter major problems with limited amounts of 5.56 in a .223 rifle fired out of necessity or in an emergency. Doing so at a high volume for the long term is probably not a good idea. In terms of a carbine-style AR-15, I see absolutely no reason to purchase one with a .223 Remington chamber."

So again I would say you are "probably" ok but I would still try and find someone to do a trade.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  Does the barrel say 223 Wylde or 223 Rem? If it says 223 Wylde then 556 is just fine. If it says 223 Rem then don’t run it.

I’d put money on it being a Wylde.
                  I’d bet it’s a 223 remington. Seems like he would know if it was a Wylde.

Comment

I’m thinking it’s .223 Rem but will double check when I get home tonight. Gun doesn’t get used much but was low on ammo for it when I bought this.

Comment

wylde barrels are not common

Comment

It all sounds sketchy.,.

Comment

I’d shoot it.

If it was that much of an issue, we’d see lots of pictures of blown up rifles and 5.56x45 ammo would say:

“WARNING: DO NOT FIRE IN .223 REMINGTON CHAMBER” in big letters on all the boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            I’d shoot it.

If it was that much of an issue, we’d see lots of pictures of blown up rifles and 5.56x45 ammo would say:

“WARNING: DO NOT FIRE IN .223 REMINGTON CHAMBER” in big letters on all the boxes.
                            I’m with you. No lawyers, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                              wylde barrels are not common
                              IDK the order of commonality from what I've seen to be produced currently is 5.56 (chrome lined, mil spec, etc) then your wylde (stainless, match grade, precision, etc) and then the .223 rem being the least common.

Comment

Working...
                              X