No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GarGuy, you and your Dad are blessed people, you for having him teach you the ropes early in your outdoor life and now him having you during this phase of his outdoor life.

I have always enjoyed this thread and appreciate it.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
      GarGuy, you and your Dad are blessed people, you for having him teach you the ropes early in your outdoor life and now him having you during this phase of his outdoor life.

I have always enjoyed this thread and appreciate it.

Rwc
      Thank you. I may write up a couple more thus evening

Comment

I have respected all of GqrGuys post for years. Not sure how it took this long to find this. Great info. And even better write up.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
          Great Story! I'm in the process of setting up feeder pens at my place in E Texas. In order to hunt those pens, do you guys just throw handcorn in them? I was thinking handcorning or even a gravity feeder would be ideal. Deer at my place seem to not mind gravity feeders or handcorn. If it spins they will avoid at all cost until night fall
          I throw 250-300 lb piles of hand corn in my pens. Dynamite.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
            I throw 250-300 lb piles of hand corn in my pens. Dynamite.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            Johnny hoe long does that typically last you? Obviously other variables involved. Just trying to get a general idea. Have an area I am wanting to do this, but debating a high hanging barrel vs a big *** pile in the pen. (Lease is 2 hours away and it may be 2 weeks or more between trips, as we have 17 young kiddos. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
              Johnny hoe long does that typically last you? Obviously other variables involved. Just trying to get a general idea. Have an area I am wanting to do this, but debating a high hanging barrel vs a big *** pile in the pen. (Lease is 2 hours away and it may be 2 weeks or more between trips, as we have 17 young kiddos. Lol
              Depends on deer numbers. I know I have 20-30 deer at my house and 100lbs will barely make it 24 hours. The raccoons will get their share too.

Comment

I dump 1-2 bags per spot. It will last less than a week but the bucks come through and check it every couple days regardless.
                I only go to my lease every 4-6 weeks and sill have pics of the same bucks the whole duration.
                I feel like I am “conditioning” them to check the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Lucky 8

I had a spot rigged up fro dad(I do that a lot) and he was rifle hunting but I wanted to bow hunt. I looked like a cinch and I needed to stay close so I went with him and carried my bow. I was sitting at the truck listening for him to shoot when I remembered a whiteoak plot on a deep creek about 1.5 miles in the back of the property adjoining a terrible thicket. The wind was perfect for an approach and I decided to go check it out. I walked in and when I got close, I could smell bucks and hear acorns whacking the ground. I eased up too the first big whiteoak and saw two fresh rubs under it and the leaves all kicked up. To my left was a giant pine that was blown down by hurricane Ike and it had a big clay rootball.

I tucked in on the log with little cover but five minutes later I had a young buck sniffing for acorns. He crossed the deep creek and gave me a chance to breath when he got abut 40yds . Not for long. the mosquitoes were absolutely killing me. I hadn't come prepared to hunt and had nothing but a thin shirt on. About the time I couldn't stand it anymore, here comes five does. Ten yards and I cant move. I see movement to my right and there is a pretty nice deer working a scrape 20yds away but I cant even turn my head to look at him. He made the does nervous and they fed over to the next tree. The buck turned and walked back the way he came ..giving me the walking away shivers. Man he looked BIG!

I seized that opportunity to wipe a bunch of blood gorged skeeters off my arms and back. before hearing a deer coming at a fast crunch from the direction the big deer just went. I got turned and ready. He was a nice 6.5yr old 8pt but really not as big as I thought when he walked away. He was on a mission and I had watched the other deer go behind that big whiteoak before crossing the creek. He was right in step. When his head went behind the tree, I drew and his ribcage came out just as I was solid at anchor. I touched the release and heard the smack of a Muzzy striking home. He bolted forward and into the creek but didn't come out. I sat there a few seconds and then eased over to the creek bank. He was standing right in the bottom wobbeling side to side so I sent another straight down. He let out a snort unlike any I have ever heard a deer make before collapsing.

I slid down the bank and into the stream bed with him 20ft deep. He was about 125 but man he was a warhorse of a deer. I tried getting him up the bank and got about half way before both of us slid back to the bottom! Exhausted, I was standing there panting when I heard the same type snort/bellow I had heard earlier. I looked straight up and there was the BIG buck looking down at me from the top bank. My bow was laying about 6ft from him also on the top bank! He stood there and gave me the evil eye for a few seconds and then just stiff legged back out of sight. All I can figure is he heard my wounded deer bellow and us sliding down the bank and thought it was a buck fight in the creek.

I had to get help on that one. I like hunting closer to the road!
                  That is one awesome story sir. I'm using your tactics in San Jacinto County this season. I've located some nice white oaks in a few different places on our lease and hung 2 good sets...been pouring the hand corn to them every few days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m gonna give this stuff a try in cass county. Lord knows we have enough dense thickets and hunting pressure. I read this thread back in January and I Thought I read somewhere that garguy puts his hand corn out at night. But I can’t find that nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
                      I’m gonna give this stuff a try in cass county. Lord knows we have enough dense thickets and hunting pressure. I read this thread back in January and I Thought I read somewhere that garguy puts his hand corn out at night. But I can’t find that nowhere.
                      11pm is my absolute favorite time to corn bedding areas. Generally the mature deer are out and I have time to corn and get out with less chance of bumping him.

Comment

That makes sense to me. I’ve wasted lots of hours hunting pretty oak bottoms full of deer sign that was made at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This works in Cass County. I hunt there and since 2 years ago, all my areas are hand corn or choice corn feeders. Bucks love em. My throw feeders I hunt pigs and doe.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                            This works in Cass County. I hunt there and since 2 years ago, all my areas are hand corn or choice corn feeders. Bucks love em. My throw feeders I hunt pigs and doe.

Well howdy neighbor. I hunt around the Douglassville, Hughes springs area and bryans mill. I’ve pretty well always scattered corn or made piles. But I’m experimenting with the vanilla now. I’ve always got bucks on camera in the past, but 99% are late night pictures. Obviously I need to work on my placement..

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              11pm is my absolute favorite time to corn bedding areas. Generally the mature deer are out and I have time to corn and get out with less chance of bumping him.
                              Sir, I've currently got 2 feeders going at my sets...I hunt off 946 south of Oakhurst in San Jac county. I've hung 2 hangons that are ideal for S to SE winds for Oct and will adjust for the Northers.

There are some good big white oaks at both my sets. I'm thinking of moving both my feeders 100-150 yds away from my stands and just keep dumping vanilla corn(My feed store sells it) at the area's near my tree stands. Both my stands are in tight areas between pine rows and thicket/oaks ideal for bowhunting.

I've got a couple young bucks and few does hitting the feeders but no big boys on camera, couple giant boars frequently hitting feeders....no pens yet.

How's this sound to you sir? Any suggestions for me with the little info I gave you, I'll take them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well howdy neighbor. I hunt around the Douglassville, Hughes springs area and bryans mill. I’ve pretty well always scattered corn or made piles. But I’m experimenting with the vanilla now. I’ve always got bucks on camera in the past, but 99% are late night pictures. Obviously I need to work on my placement..
                                I'm about 3 miles west of Douglassville off 77. We only have about 140 acres so it is tough to get in close to the beds, but I keep watching and learning.....and making mistakes [emoji20]

Comment

Working...
                                X