Cost for a will?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
    So, the free On-Line ones are not Legal?
    and are not good enough??
    me and one of the MTM guys here at work (the BEST RAYTHEONS ) was just talking about this.
    I was told I could go on-line a make it out take it to a Notary and its a legal binding Doc.
    so, not true?
    sorry OP, not trying to high jack, just curious
    You McKinney folks always look for the easy way out. Lemmon rocks!!!!

Comment

I went the trust route and it the price was up there.

Upon the first spouse to pass, his/her 50% of the assets are locked down in trust to benefit the surviving spouse for his/her lifetime. Upon the death of the surviving spouse, these assets and the assets of the surviving spouse will pass to trusts for your children. If a child passes away, his or her trust would divide into trusts for his or her children.

Comment

Really depends on how involved and what you want extra done. Living Will etc. 2 to 4K

Comment

Do a trust. It will create a seamless flow to your relatives/kin/survivors. Much quicker than a "will". We just finished up probate with my Dad. He did a will. He wouldn't listen to anyone. Imagine that! Due to Covid, it took 3 extra months. Look at revocable trust. My uncle went that route. It is much better to have something, rather than nothing at all. Don't let the state decide!
          Last edited by jessBsemple; 06-25-2020, 11:48 AM. Reason: punctuation, addition

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
            If you are a Veteran, just contact your local base. FREE
            Tell me more, I had no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
              Sherman isn't too far. I got one of those fancy bar cards and estate planning comprises a very large part of my practice.

I would not hesitate to recommend Grayson.

He’s handled all sorts of lawyerin stuff for me including estate planning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We set up a trust a couple of years ago. Makes it easy when you pass. Ours was done to avoid having to probate, which can cost a couple grand on its own, plus take a lot of time. My wife was executrix for 3 estates in recent years so we had to learn the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                  I went the trust route and it the price was up there.

Upon the first spouse to pass, his/her 50% of the assets are locked down in trust to benefit the surviving spouse for his/her lifetime. Upon the death of the surviving spouse, these assets and the assets of the surviving spouse will pass to trusts for your children. If a child passes away, his or her trust would divide into trusts for his or her children.
                  We did ours similar to this and I liked the trust because we could put a lot more controls on things. Wasn’t cheap but worth it knowing everything is taken care of

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                    Sherman isn't too far. I got one of those fancy bar cards and estate planning comprises a very large part of my practice.
                    PM coming your way.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                      I used a simple will I think found it through AARP. structured for Texas. Free. Simple. Hope it is ok? 2 witnesses and Notarized all signatures. Mine is very basic. And in Texas it becomes the wife's or husbands auto mode unless certain provisions were previously set up (so I hear). And it is good to give him or her Power of Attorney on top of the will. This may all be ok if it is very simple as ours is. If I wanted anything in it unusual specifics, I would pay an attorney promptly. I am zero expert but sharing what I did and feel ok. And be sure to elect an executor with a backup also. Mine is it is all hers. If we both go, 2 daughters share.
                      You heard wrong. That might be the case...but if the decedent had children from outside the marriage, the children inherit 1/2 of the community property and a larger share of separate property. See the post from Carpe Diem above for an example...

Comment

My wife does this for a living if y’all need any questions or help
                        We in Houston area

Comment

Because of our family situation we set up an estate with someone other than our son as the executor in case he passes first as his wife's health precludes her from doing it. That made for a more expensive end product, but the peace of mind that it will be done as we want is worth it.

You have a child so make sure you follow through on this as I don't think you want the courts making decisions about who will care for your child should you and your wife both pass.

Comment

I would recommend talking with someone about a trust versus just a simple will. I am not an attorney but I can tell you a trust is much more extensive and comprehensive in protecting your estate.

Comment

Good topic.

1. check with your employer and see if you have access to any legal benefits. I have ARAG with my employer for $15/month or $180/year(that's for me and my dependents). I can do a will every year for that price, but there are many other legal benefits available too. This service refers me to several local attorneys, then I get to choose which one I want to use (that's in person). There is no additional fee, maybe for a trust. We got the Will and POAs. I'm a financial planner and refer clients to attorneys for wills and POAs, so I asked her what she charges. She said $1,000, that's way too high for me to refer anyone. The other referral would charge $500, and the current girl I refer to charges $300. Get the drift, they can charge whatever they want. Just call a few family attorneys and ask how much they charge for wills and POAs...shop it.

2. POA is a power of attorney, you need one for Healthcare and one for Financial. Healthcare POA is in case you are incapacitated someone can direct your healthcare. And the Financial POA is if you incapacitated someone can access your funds for you. Your state maybe able to combine these two. (if you are incapacitated without a POA, all of your individually held stuff is frozen...bank accounts, 401k, investments, healthcare decisions)

3. I would steer clear of any online or holographic wills, you don't want to screw this up. For example, the company that issued your life insurance policy is headquartered in New York. If your will or poa doesn't meet the standards of that State, it will not be honored.

4. Remember, the Wills and POAs are to help things run smoothly during that time.

Comment

You can also do a holographic will in a pinch. A basic hand written will with your signature. Must be completely written in your hand.

"I give all my stuff, junk, money and real property to my wife. If she croaks first, then it goes to my kids in equal shares per stripes. If anyone complains about anything they take nothing and their share shall go to the other kids who don't biyatch." :-)
                                Last edited by RR 314; 06-25-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X