Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I ride my 4 Wheeler in S Padre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I ride my 4 Wheeler in S Padre?

Headed to S Padre next weekend, taking my Polaris Sportsman and trailer...where can I take it for a ride? Thanks!

Don't get in the dunes, unless you like huge fines and jail. You might be able to ride on the beach, but I would check on that. I know years ago, you could ride on the beach, but think that Port A. and North Padre, put a end to that years ago, but not sure.

Comment

I may have to check with the city.

Comment

I was pretty sure that south Padre is a National Seashore, meaning basically a National Park. So I searched on their site and found this.

Padre Island National Seashore is one of the last undeveloped shorelines in the world, and is one of the only beaches of its kind that is open to driving on 60 of the 70 miles that it protects.
        Malaquite Beach is the stretch of the National Seashore that is closed to driving. If you continue to the end of the paved road (Park Road 22), you will be driving on the beach in no time!
        Remember that in Texas all beaches are public highways and all traffic laws apply, including seat belt regulations. All vehicles traveling on Padre Island National Seashore must be street legal and licensed. Please note that, with rare exception, Texas will not license all-terrain-vehicles (ATVs) for use on highways (The National Seashore has one of the few exceptions, because it uses ATVs to patrol for nesting sea turtles.).
        The driving conditions at the beach are constantly changing due to the currents, winds, and tides. Please call the Malaquite Visitor Center at 361.949.8068 to ask about current driving and weather conditions.

Driving in the Park
        No driving is permitted in the dunes, grasslands, or mudflats because they are extremely fragile and important natural resources that sustain a wide diversity of life. Private ATVs are therefore not permitted anywhere in the park.

Remember that in Texas all beaches are public highways and all traffic laws apply, including seat belt regulations. Two-wheel drive vehicles have limited access to driving down South Beach, and the wind, Gulf currents and weather can make beach driving conditions unpredictable at times.
        Certain areas of the park may occasionally be closed due to weather conditions (flooding, unusually high tides, etc.). If you are planning a trip down island, please call the Malaquite Beach Visitor Center (361-949-8068) before your departure to double-check on driving conditions.
        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-11-2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I knew about the driving in the dunes being a very bad thing. Because a guy I went to high school with, got drunk and drove his Land Cruiser off through the dunes. They measured his tracks and fined him for every foot he drove in the dunes, which was something like 1500 ft., times whatever the charge was per foot, which was high, then a fine for destruction of dunes or something along those lines. But end result, it was a huge fine.

Comment

I’ve only ever seen atv/utv at East cut.
            That would be 26 miles north of access 6 coming from South Padre Island.

The above post for PINS is from corpus south (60 mi) to East Cut/ Mansfield Jetties. Same place.

Comment

Beach access 5 and 6 will get you on the gulf side and you can ride along the beach for miles. Weekends are packed with valleyites. There are ways to get on the bayside, but you need 4 wheel drive. And, stay off the sand dunes. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                Beach access 5 and 6 will get you on the gulf side and you can ride along the beach for miles. Weekends are packed with valleyites. There are ways to get on the bayside, but you need 4 wheel drive. And, stay off the sand dunes. Good luck.
                Years ago when we rode in spi there was a place to park and ride on the bay side going north out of town

Comment

Working...
                X