Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious of your thoughts on the term "Ranch".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious of your thoughts on the term "Ranch".

Im curious to hear other's thoughts on how the term "ranch" is often used, both here and other places I've seen. This isn't to make anyone feel wrong for their use of the term, but rather just to get an idea of why..... I have a friend that bought 10 acres in the Texas hill country. There is nothing there besides a gate and a camper trailer. He calls it his ranch. No home, no barns/structures, and no livestock......all things that have typically defined what a "ranch" is for generations past.

I have grew up in/lived in southern Oklahoma most all my life. My grandfather had a ranch (property I still own today). There was a home there, many barns, outbuildings, horses, cows, pigs, chickens, pasture land to graze.....etc. In my mind, a ranch is a spread of land that is primarily used to raise and usually profit in some way from livestock. Cattle ranches, horse ranches, and I guess now days even wild game ranches.

However, it seems like anytime someone buys 5-10 acres of bare land these days, they tell everyone they bought a "ranch", or are going to the "ranch" for the weekend. They have no livestock, no home there, no nothing......

Anyway, just something to ponder.

I am with you, however I think for them its fun for them to call their piece of Texas a ranch.

Comment

And then the Karen showed up

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        In reference to me?

Comment

I completely agree. That's a city slicker term now a days. I grew up on a 700 acre place. We ran 100-110 head of momma cows and 4 bulls. Produce 80-100 calves a year. My Gramps always thought of it as a "little ranch". He grew up on a 12k acre cattle ranch in Seminole. So i guess everyone has a different definition of what a " ranch" is.

The term is no doubt over used though. The old timers I've been around won't consider anything a ranch under a section of land with a cow calf operation.

I live on 54 acres now. I call it a " farm" even though we only raise horses and cows. The only thing I've planted is bermuda grass out there lol. So I guess I'm guilty of over using the term farm.
          Last edited by Arrowthreat; 05-27-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
            I am with you, however I think for them its fun for them to call their piece of Texas a ranch.
            I know folks that do it but it was all tongue in cheek

Now it's just easier to say ranch vs my X amount of acreage that I visit on the weekends.

Same as calling your place the deer lease even if you own it. It's easier for curious folks to put an image to it without asking follow up questions about the place.

Comment

So if you have 1o acres , cows, chickens, pig, goats, etc would that be a 10 acre ranch.

Comment

official min size for a legit ranch, 2 sections 1,280 acres, and 300 head of cattle.

i made that up, but it sounds about right.

imo 200-1,279 acres is "a place". 10-199 acres is a farm, a homestead, or a holding.

a "ranch of concern" according to ncba used to be 600+ momma cows.

Comment

A property that makes the majority of its profits from livestock in a native or improved pasture setting.

ie; not a confined animal feeding operation.

Comment

I have struggled with this one myself. My place now is 74 acres with a Brando going up and just wildlife. I do not consider it a ranch, so we call it our lake lot as its on the lake.

Comment

We have ranchitos down here...problem solved.

Comment

What about Ranchette?

Comment

Ranchette is the correct term

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            LMAO! Such a Karen move....

Comment

OP I agree with your assessment of what a true Ranch consists of. I also believe that a landowner can call their property whatever the heck they want to. It won’t bother me one bit if someone else calls their place a ranch and there’s not a cow or chicken in sight. I will still sleep just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X