No announcement yet.

Your worst miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had several misses that hurt, but none as bad as last season. I was hunting a particular buck hard and finally got a shot at him at about 10 yards. I don't know if it was the nerves, or the steep angle of the shot, but I blew it. Shot right over his back. It still hurts to think about it.

Comment

At my buddy's place in east Texas we had a huge red boar coming in to his feeder like clockwork. He was about 300+ and wouldn't let anything near his feeder. I had just gotten my Sarrels longbow and couldn't wait to get my first blood using it. So I sat for about 3-4 hours in the stand where the giant pig had been every evening for several months and saw nothing for 2 nights straight. We checked the cam the last day before we left and he came out 15 minutes after I left the first night and not at all the second night. We couldn't make it back out there for about a month so big red haunted me. I finally got back out to hunt him again and he came out the same time as the first night from the trip before. He walked perfectly in front of me quartering away so I picked my spot and let go to watch the arrow skip off the bottom of his chest and he was gone!
      Last edited by Featherflinger; 04-21-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Worst miss was on an MLD ranch in Lometa had several people in the jeep rules were you had to shoot a doe before a buck. They dropped me off at the stand and there were does at the feeder 125 yard shot not sure how but I missed. Fifteen years later I still hear about that miss.

Comment

Had to be last year on my yearly hunt. I put a lot of pressure on myself as it is the only 3 days I get to hunt deer. Also we are the last party in so the deer are cocked and locked for the slightest noise or movement. Thirdly is that I really suck at knowing how or where to find a spot to set up. Anyway I actually made a good choice and got settled in for the evening hunt. I was expecting the deer to move in from behind and to my left, but the buck (and a dang nice 8) came in from below and in front of me. He moved very cautiously like they do there especially when he found my hand corn. I couldn't believe he moved into position just like he was suppose to. I let him settle a few minutes and started easy into full draw mode. It was going to be a 16 yard shot, I settled my broadhead low and tight behind his front leg. My mind started screaming no,no drop down level with his knee joint. My dumb side starts screaming back no,no he's only 16 yards, no way he can duck my Sarrells longbow. Well, the anchor point was solid and the release was flawless for once. Everything went into slow motion and I could see my lighted knock going exactly where I had aimed. Sadly it appeared that when the arrow was approximately 3 feet from arriving the deer dropped completely to the ground and I shot over him by a bought 6 inches. I spent the next several minutes having a somewhat colorful argument with my-self over the aiming point. To this day I catch one side of my mind calling the other side "stupid" with a disgusted tone. It's danged if you do and danged if you don't as I have aimed extra low before and they never flinched causing a low miss. Thinking back on these they were young deer, which I feel made the difference in their response or lack of. This deer was a really nice mature buck, and that's the reason he is a nice mature buck.

Comment

Originally posted by bustacap View Post
            Thinking back, there was a 140"+ 9pt missed in Mexico at about 80yds while I was laying down in a sendero with a 6.5 creedmoor.
            Had to be the guides fault....

Comment

Working...
            X