Rusty Looking Stuff on Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty Looking Stuff on Boat

Put a new Boat tarp from Gander Mountain on my boat for a month while in Freeport and when I took the tarp off I have this rusty looking stuff all inside my boat. Tried power washing it, but that did not get it off. Can anyone help me with this that maybe had the same problem. Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rust 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	25118818

Name:	Rust 2.jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	25118819

Name:	Rust 3.jpg
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	25118820

Don't know what would cause it. Try Starbrite Hull Cleaner. It should get it off, may take a little scrubbing.

Comment

Clr

Comment

Rust remover

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          Don't know what would cause it. Try Starbrite Hull Cleaner. It should get it off, may take a little scrubbing.
          This is good stuff. I had the same rust looking stains on a fiberglass railing and the Starbrite boat cleaner took care of it.

Comment

I had that problem a few times on my boat and truck. But that was because I was grinding around them. Had to buff the spots off.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
              I had that problem a few times on my boat and truck. But that was because I was grinding around them. Had to buff the spots off.
              there are no metal shavings anywhere around boat

Comment

Pollen? My wife had some flowers in her floorboard that rubbed pollen on the glovebox. We haven't found anything that will remove it?

Comment

That's definitely rust, just don't know what would cause it with the boat being covered. Unless there were some type of metal shavings/dust in the tarp itself.

Comment

Could it be that your jell coat wore off and stuff is sticking to it

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      That's definitely rust, just don't know what would cause it with the boat being covered. Unless there were some type of metal shavings/dust in the tarp itself.
                      I am thinking that's a possibility of some sort of shavings in the new tarp I bought

Comment

Just a guess, but the tarp is not breathable, correct? It probably trapped humidity underneath the tarp and with the temperatures fluctuating each day created a hot bath the boat sat in. There are probably small metal flakes in the paint that was used on that boat, or that it was so thin, that the rust is coming through.

I would use a CLR or something to clean it, then wax it, then when you put the tarp back on, leave a path for air to circulate inside the tarp.

Comment

On & Off Hull cleaner will do it or use Ospho

Comment

Bar keepers friend will remove it from the console. I've used it on mine with just a soft cloth. Not sure if I'd use it on the rest. I had one spot on my boat from leaving a net that k got up with a spray from walmart and scrub brush but that would be a lot of scrubbing

Comment

Man that's horrible looking. Sorry for your troubles. Hope it comes off somehow.

RD

Comment

Working...
                              X