Tell me if I’m crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me if I’m crazy?

I only have about 35 rounds of 30-30 left but I have about 200pcs of brass. I scored 200 Hornady 150gr Interlocks yesterday. I have about 3/4lb each of Varget and RL-15. Both are supposed to be good 30-30 powders and I used to use them almost interchangeable on 223 and 308.

I am thinking about mixing them together (thoroughly) and working up a load. 200 rounds in my 30-30 will probably last the rest of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that Varget is probably no good for that round and you could sell it to me.

Comment

Your crazy. Lol. But I wouldn't mix powders cause I don't know anything about that kinda stuff. With a 30 30 you can probably get a load from each powder that shoot so close to each other that you can't tell the difference.

Comment

I need some 3030

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
          I only have about 35 rounds of 30-30 left but I have about 200pcs of brass. I scored 200 Hornady 150gr Interlocks yesterday. I have about 3/4lb each of Varget and RL-15. Both are supposed to be good 30-30 powders and I used to use them almost interchangeable on 223 and 308.

I am thinking about mixing them together (thoroughly) and working up a load. 200 rounds in my 30-30 will probably last the rest of my life.

Negative on mixing the powders, that’s a horrible idea. Even if safety was not a concern there would be no way ensure they were properly blended drop to drop for a given charge which would drastically reduce the consistency of the load. This could cause inconsistent start up and chamber pressure which will kill accuracy.

Comment

Let me be the first to say, ain't no way in H E double hockey sticks would I mix 2 powders. You can never get an exact 50\50 mixture, but it could be done a different way. I won't say how but it was tested and got good results during WW2.

Comment

Your crazy, for even considering it ! Glad you asked before trying it. Please don’t do it.

Comment

Depends. If both powders are equal weight in their own individual recipe, then yes, because whether you consistently mix the two is not important. As I always do, I make 5-10 rounds and shoot for accuracy before mass loading. When making hot loads, over the Speer limit, I also check the brass afterwards, looking for splits and crushed heads.
                Remember, the manuals are much lower now than 40 years ago, same combination, just lower so they don't get sued. Let us know how they turn out.

Comment

No need to mix!! Rough math you have 150ish loads per 3/4lb of powder right? And it's a 30-30 so no need for gnat's *** load development.

I would stick to one powder- load as many rounds as I can and then when you run through those switch to the other powder.

And hopefully by the time you've gone through 300rds of 30-30 more components are back in stock!!

Comment

Yeah man you're crazy. But we like ya anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                      your crazy, for even considering it ! Glad you asked before trying it. Please don’t do it.
                      *********x-22222222222

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                        Negative on mixing the powders, that’s a horrible idea. Even if safety was not a concern there would be no way ensure they were properly blended drop to drop for a given charge which would drastically reduce the consistency of the load. This could cause inconsistent start up and chamber pressure which will kill accuracy.

But they both give the same pressure and velocity with equal loads. If 26gr of Varget shoots good and 26gr of RL-15 shoots good ya’ll think a 50/50 mix is going to cause an explosion ????

Comment

Very bad idea.

If you liked filming jack A s s style videos and wanted to show how badly things could go, by really screwing up severely, you might mix two different powders, then dump them in a case and pack a bullet on top, load it in a gun and see what happens. No need to measure the powder charge, because what you concocted it not relevant to anything.
                          Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 01-23-2021, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                            Very bad idea.

If you liked filming jack A s s style videos and wanted to show how badly things could go, by really screwing up severely, you might mix two different powders, then dump them in a case and pack a bullet on top, load it in a gun and see what happens. No need to measure the powder charge, because what you concocted it not relevant to anything.

Well I’m going to do it. Ya’ll do realize that most factory ammo is loaded with blended powder?

Varget and RL-15 are basically the same thing??

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                              Depends. If both powders are equal weight in their own individual recipe, then yes, because whether you consistently mix the two is not important. As I always do, I make 5-10 rounds and shoot for accuracy before mass loading. When making hot loads, over the Speer limit, I also check the brass afterwards, looking for splits and crushed heads.
                              Remember, the manuals are much lower now than 40 years ago, same combination, just lower so they don't get sued. Let us know how they turn out.

Of course it matters. If the mix isn’t consistent and the powders have different burning rates (which they do) pressures will vary. Also if the powder geometry is not the same and they don’t mix the same every time case volume will change and again effect pressure uniformity. The only feasible way would be if the powders were kept stratified in the case so part A and B could ignite consistently like under a compressed load where the powder couldn’t freely move around inside the case and mix. Either way it’s still a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X