No announcement yet.

Tell me if I’m crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't bother me but don't see the reason. You have two powders of similar burning rate so what's the point?? Do it / don't do it...your powder dump should be identical if loading independent. I would just focus on the slightly faster 15 max load is all.

A couple decades ago a brilliant guy on benchrest.com was trying to get the 30br to compete against the 6ppc & was irritated N133 was too fast / N135 was too slow & did the mix...his grouping was similar & boiled it down to the barrel's ability.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      But they both give the same pressure and velocity with equal loads. If 26gr of Varget shoots good and 26gr of RL-15 shoots good ya’ll think a 50/50 mix is going to cause an explosion ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s about the burning rates and how you get to the pressure. No I don’t think it’s going to blow up but the point of hand loading is to create consistent/accurate ammunition and what you are proposing goes against the very foundations of the premise.

Comment

Well I’m going to do it. Ya’ll do realize that most factory ammo is loaded with blended powder?

Varget and RL-15 are basically the same thing??

They are close but VARGET burns a little slower.

Comment

Man seems like a waste of Varget. But if you have your mind made up and your gonna do it then why did you ask our opinion? Lol

Comment

Yeah, I’d put ‘em in a blender and mix ‘em up really well. Might want to do all this in your back yard......and video !

Comment

Why not just load what you can with 1 powder and the rest with the other?

Seems like if they are that similar there might not be much noticeable difference at 30-30 ranges. Unless they are now shooting 300yds with a 30-30 I thought they were a brush caliber 100yds or less?

Comment

Well I’m going to do it. Ya’ll do realize that most factory ammo is loaded with blended powder?

Varget and RL-15 are basically the same thing??

Good. You will be fine. Don't let these guys scare you. Been reloading for 40 years and have done similar tests when I'm running low on a certain powder, for fun. These guys would be shocked at what reloading manuals called for 50 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                  Good. You will be fine. Don't let these guys scare you. Been reloading for 40 years and have done similar tests when I'm running low on a certain powder, for fun. These guys would be shocked at what reloading manuals called for 50 years ago.

I think there is a difference between CAN and SHOULD-- since there isn't really a necessity I don't think there is any meaningful gain to be achieved. Especially since there isn't really any way to guarantee a true 50/50 mix for each charge.

Use up one and then use up the other if they are so equal then why even worry about re-working a load-- just use one can til it is out and then use the other.

Comment

But they both give the same pressure and velocity with equal loads. If 26gr of Varget shoots good and 26gr of RL-15 shoots good ya’ll think a 50/50 mix is going to cause an explosion ????

Same burn rate .. have fun

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

I probably wouldn't but I dont think anything terrible would happen.

Comment

What are you gaining by mixing powders? Just use up one powder and then load up the other and use it up.

Comment

No reason to mix them. Load one until you run out then use the other. If like you say they are close to the same, the loaded rounds should shoot the same. Factories may blend powders but they are under a lot more controlled situations and have the ability to test them much more than we do. What do you hope to gain by mixing them ?

Comment

[quote=Rem40x;15426227]Same burn rate .. have fun

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Sorry, I misread - thought he mentioned RL 17 but see it was actually RL 15.
                            Last edited by McClain; 01-24-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X