Hyperactive Adolescent Arrow build.... with lots of real “stuff”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperactive Adolescent Arrow build.... with lots of real “stuff”

Since I switched to 60# in 04’ I’ve shot the same 385gr set up. It has never failed me, not one single time, never. I’ve been so accustomed to it’s trajectory that I don’t want to change because I’m very proficient with it in my effective, realistic kill range. After years on the same dozen arrows I was down to 4 and decided to do some tinkering

1. Absolute perfect arrow flight is my #1 priority
    2. Trajectory in my hunting range must be comparable and useable

After 7 months of back and forth “testing” and shooting... and measuring REAL trajectory numbers I decided on my Hyperactive Adolescent boring middle of the road build... with some upgraded benefits....

My original and base line arrow: GT 340 xt hunter cut 26 3/4”, acc nock bushing & G nock, 12.6gr aluminum insert, 100gr SlickTrick Mag, 3 Blazer vanes— 385gr @ 9.8 foc

This arrow has served all my needs

New build: GT Velocity Pro 340 @ 26 3/4” with velocity nock bushings and GT nocks, 12.6 aluminum insert with 50g FACT weight, and Blazers..... basically took advantage of lighter arrow and made the equivalent of 125gr points BUT moving more than the 25 up front and using the lifetime supply of 100gr broadheads

50gr Aderol to make my twislers not wonky
    Attached Files

Comment

Kyle what's your draw?

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
        Kyle what's your draw?
        28”

Comment

All components cleaned and prepped and a dozen assembled. At a robust 415gr with now just under 14% foc
          In 1 dozen arrows 8 were exact, 2 were 0.2gr light, and 2 were 1.2gr light... good enough for government work
          Pic of the JR High School classroom.... time for real shooting
          Attached Files

Comment

I’ll be honest, the heavy arrow thing seems cool and all and I COMPLETELY understand the physics behind the benefits to heavy arrows. But people have gone way off the deep end with this stuff IMO. I like to have @ 175gr up front(either stock inserts and 150gr heads or 125gr heads and 50gr brass). I do think arrows fly better with some increased FOC, but unless you’re shooting a trad bow at 170fps, I don’t see the need for 250-300gr up front and 650gr arrows. I’ve been wanting to build some around 525-550 just to see the differences from my typical 450-475 since the threshold is supposedly around that 550gr mark.

But a well tuned 400gr(ballpark) arrow and a sharp broadhead will typically do all it needs to do. I honestly think that an actual COC broadhead does more for most folks than an extra 150gr of arrow weight will do.

Comment

First up some field points:

Sight tape is same as 385gr arrows. These are the 415’s I wanted REAL drop shown 20 was dead on... like hit dimes every shot dead on!
              -30, was dead on and perfect flight
              -40 dropped about 2”, i shot the 385 again and they were CENTER. This pic is dialed @ 40, but dialed to 41.5... dead on
              -50, again just a hair low, and I dialed 52 yards and hit dot

.... so in conclusion on this arrow I had 2” drop in my effective range and 2.5” at 50
              I’ll take that trade off. No zombie penetration benefit other than the same beautiful and perfect arrow flight that it has with a large spectrum of arrows, because the BOW is tuned... not the arrow.

Let’s keep going up a hair more...
              Attached Files

Comment

And the Hyperactive Adolescent arrow with a bad attitude on the front (SlickTrick Mag)

20,30 and 40 (20 & 30 shot at dial in, 40 shot dialed to 41.5)
                Attached Files

Comment

... so I took those flappers off my twislers and put a 125 muzzy phantom on... that created an arrow I’ll call the 440 Plymouth.

@ 20.... same dead nuts center. Shot after shot

... but @ 30, we were slipping the clutch 3 yards low

.... @40, 5 yards of drop.
                  To show what that looks like on an animal, I aimed at yellow dot at true 40 and note impact (same after numerous shots)

... then dialed to 45 and shot @40
                  Attached Files

Comment

I might have missed it but are the dots the size of a snuff can?

Comment

In conclusion:

The point of “ain’t worth it” for me was 415gr. There was almost no shootable difference in my hunting range. NOW IF...IF... IF you are a 100% 20 and under feeder hunter (not hating or making this a holier than though) then sure go crazy. I mean I’m blowing threw em with 385, but if you want $35 a pop broadheads then, Gas on it! If your bow is tuned and the spine will hold it great!!

However for ME, and MY style of hunting... with a 60#, 28”DL.. that does also include slaughtering at the feeder at times... ain’t no way. You want Plan B.... better plan on it not B there when the arrow arrives. Lol

The lob that these ARROWS OVER 500... and 600gr would have, honestly you would need to make sure everything 6’ above animal is clear, cause it’s gonna have some hang time! Again in a wide open feed pen @ 14, go nuts. But when I know people and read about shooting under Animals cause they were 3-5 off. And I know they are good shots and hunters.

All this is to say: for ME the truth is in the middle, go happy medium and enjoy the benefits of both sides.... unless you’re being attached by a jungle cat, and you need to shoot it in the face. Then have a zombie arrow ready!

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                        I might have missed it but are the dots the size of a snuff can?
                        Very close to that! I cut the bottom out of styrofoam cup, so maybe 1/4” smaller.. maybe

Comment

I’ve always felt as if I were on the low side on foc. I shoot gold tip hunter 340s 28 1/2 with standard gt knock and insert with blazers and slick trick standards. I too have never had a problem with penetration within reason, but I have entertained the idea of going to a 125 grain tip and keeping the same arrow setup. 29 inch draw 60lb. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
                            I’ve always felt as if I were on the low side on foc. I shoot gold tip hunter 340s 28 1/2 with standard gt knock and insert with blazers and slick trick standards. I too have never had a problem with penetration within reason, but I have entertained the idea of going to a 125 grain tip and keeping the same arrow setup. 29 inch draw 60lb. What do you think?
                            Your probably @ 400gr currently, and 9%ish foc guessing

You could go 125 and get 425ish and 10.5% ish

Or stay 100gr if you got a lot of broadheads and add a 50g fact weight.. 450gr.... 12.5-13% ish

No real life changing penetration numbers, but probably better flight and forgiveness... which will increase potential

Either would be worth looking at imho

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I laughed when I read “440 Plymouth”

Comment

Working...
                              X