Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lots of these 8 pointers on the property... Genetics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of these 8 pointers on the property... Genetics?

I have some of these sized guys walking around. All are 8 pointers with big, thick bodies. I'm guessing this is well into mature but maybe, what, 130-140?

Perhaps many of these are the same genetic pool? I'm surrounded by cattle operations to the north, west, and south and a 1600+ of wooded area+cattle on my east side. Just trying to figure out how none of them have broken out of the 8-point mold. I've seen one 11 and one 12 in the past year but not yet this year.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ken800; 10-16-2020, 03:44 PM.

Seems to happen genetically. I have two properties only a couple miles apart. One has almost all 8s and one has almost none.

Comment

Dang that dude is a fatty

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
        Seems to happen genetically. I have two properties only a couple miles apart. One has almost all 8s and one has almost none.
        On your none are they 9+ or lesser than 8?

Comment

Per dr James Kroll studies show all mature whitetail bucks want to be an 8 pt.

Comment

I got only 8s on my place also this year. Not sure what the deal is. We haven’t killed a decent deer in awhile and I’ve passed real nice 8s the past 4 years hoping to get a 10 or a really nice wide 8 but it seems like everything is a basket racket 8 every year

Comment

If you let mature 8s walk and breed expect to see more and more 8s. High fences don’t breed 8s and expect to get big monsters by letting them mature. They’ll end up being 8s like the generations before. You’ve got to let the 10pt plus deer walk, kill all the 8s you can.

Comment

We've had a hard year this year for horns in a lot of places. We had multiple tens last year and none this year. The same at my other place, lot of tens and 3 elevens and a thirteen point. Nothing bigger than a nine this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatom View Post
                  If you let mature 8s walk and breed expect to see more and more 8s. High fences don’t breed 8s and expect to get big monsters by letting them mature. They’ll end up being 8s like the generations before. You’ve got to let the 10pt plus deer walk, kill all the 8s you can.
                  This is what we do on my friend's ranch that I hunt.

Comment

I've heard it said that an 8 point on a high fence is is known to kill a bigger deer because his smaller rack can get to it. I've also been told 8 points over 3 years old are considered culls for that reason. Wiser folks here - is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
                      Per dr James Kroll studies show all mature whitetail bucks want to be an 8 pt.
                      Interesting. I've never really paid a lot of attention to his work but this post prompted me. Dang what an amazing guy... Lifetime of studying whitetails...

Comment

Originally posted by Tatom View Post
                        If it was just this easy there wouldn't be an 8 point in Texas...

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                          I've heard it said that an 8 point on a high fence is is known to kill a bigger deer because his smaller rack can get to it. I've also been told 8 points over 3 years old are considered culls for that reason. Wiser folks here - is that true?
                          Absolutely not. Never seen 8's kill deer more than any other deer has killed deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post

Idk about them killing older deer, but the HF places I’ve been too (not many) shoot 4 yr old 8 points on sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That buck is obese

Comment

Working...
                              X